//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250sx with 350x forks

--

250sx with 350x forks

I'm in the process of installing an extra 350x front end I've had laying around on my 250sx, and I thought I might as well try to record it on here.

A little background - I got a spare rolling chassis when I bought my x, and I've had a few different thoughts as to what I would do with it. A couple weeks back, I decided my sx could use a going over, so why not swap the front too, right? I've been running a 23.5x8x11 on the stock forks on the sx for a while, and I really liked the change.

I get that not everyone does.

So far, all I've accomplished is mocking up the front, and ordering some stuff that the sx needed anyways. This is not a trike rebuild, and while I have mad respect for you guys that tear down and polish every little bit, I'm just not that guy.

The pics are after fitting it up one night last week. I've figured out steering stops, and I've got some parts, so if the weekend goes my way, I should have it sitting on the ground with the x front end by Sunday, and will update better pictures after that.

I've got a few other things I have planned for it as well, just to play with, but that stuff hasn't shown up yet. It'll probably take a month or so before I can try it out, and I'll see if the change in rake and wheelbase is good or bad.

Sorry for the dark photos, they were taken at night with my phone, and crappy lighting is the least of the problems in my shop.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190201_191049.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	257040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190201_191256.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	257041

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

--
    Great idea! Should be a nice upgrade over stock. When you're ready, progressive springs made a huge difference in my 350X's forks performance. I recommend them highly to anyone.

--
    I was able to get steering stops buzzed in today, and fitted new plastic. I'm not a great welder, but its on there well, and hidden by the 350x cover. I'm pretty stoked on how it's looking,

I still need a few pieces to show up before I can run it, and there's lots of small things to take care of in the meantime.

Thanks for the tip on progressive springs, I'll look into them. To be fair, I'd put them in my 350x before this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_183522.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	257063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_183611.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	257064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190202_183428.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	257065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-02, 3 45 30 PM.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	257066

ctk is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    how much different is the rake now?
    Chris

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ctk View Post
    how much different is the rake now?
    Now that it's on the ground, it not as different as I expected. Stock wheelbase is spec'd at 46.3", that must be centre of contact patch to centre of contact patch?

I just checked mine, and it's just over 49", so about +3" to wheelbase.

I don't know the stock rake of an sx, it's not listed in the manual. If anyone knows it, I can check mine for comparison. The tubes are about 1-1/4" up in the triples, as others have done.

It definately feels like a bigger machine sitting on it, but until I get my oil tube in the mail, I can't run it.

--
    Got the sx out today for a few hours for a trail ride in the snow. Very happy with it. I softened up the pre-load on the rear spring since I had it out last, and between that and the x front, it's like a different trike.

Love it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-24, 11 48 40 AM.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	257428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-24, 11 48 20 AM.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	257429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-24, 11 48 15 AM.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	257430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-24, 11 48 09 AM.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	257431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2019-02-24, 11 47 55 AM.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	257432

--
    Nice forks for being in your area!! No pitting on top where it's usually 1st evident... It's a nice swap, the LC250R is just TOO MUCH for the SX, now you need to get a nice rear shock with valving and you'll be golden...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Nice forks for being in your area!! No pitting on top where it's usually 1st evident... It's a nice swap, the LC250R is just TOO MUCH for the SX, now you need to get a nice rear shock with valving and you'll be golden...
    I've been trying to look into what others have done for rear shock improvements with the sx.
    I've found some old threads that seem to indicate 300ex shocks are the way to go, but I'm not committed to that idea yet. Kinda thought Id have a look the next time I'm at the bike recycler, and see if I can find something that might work. Kinda surprises me I can't find more on the net about it.
    I'm not on F*book, and it seems there's a fair bit of knowledge there, but I won't ever end up there. Not for trikes, or old trucks.
    If you have suggestions for the rear end, I'd love to hear them. (I know my tires/wheels are heavier than they could be!)
    Thanks, Mike.

--
    My opinion is that you'll find better quality and more useful advice on here than on Facebook. You can never tell if someone's being helpful or just a on there.

--
    If your serious about a great no link shock, just have one made.

When I turn 350X rear ends into 450 rear ends, some guys get a custom AXIS shock, others revalve the shock they can use (250R).

Works might make a bolt on shock for that, it will be a 700$ shock and up. But, I don't mind paying if I get what I want...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

250sx with 350x forks

Some good people on Farcebook but not the place for archived knowledge. This forum is like a manual that you can access at any point in the future, and you can also laugh about dick jokes and other ridiculous things in the threads as well.

I'm a dedicated SX pilot for years now, and for what I do I like bone stock. You can certainly alter them to suit your own wants and needs however you see fit, and they can be made more sporty, however these bikes are tanks and they are made to be that way. They work great like that. Your 350X front end is a huge upgrade if you're going for sporty, and lighter wheels and tires would help as well as wheel spacers. Different wheels will shed weight but wheel spacers will add more weight.

If you change the tire size to a more sporty 20" tire, your gearing is going to change. First gear will be near useless and top speed will be about 40. You can shed as much weight as you want, but that frame, engine, and rear end assembly are STOUT, on purpose. There is no changing that. You can't lift the rear much because then the drive shaft angle becomes an issue.

Also the swing arms will bend on these if you jump them too much or too high. Steve I'm extremely surprised you didn't mention that, because I know you bent at least one that way.

You can make it sportier if you want, but I bet you wouldn't beat me on a track on my stock bike, lol! If I wanted to get some air I'd get a 350X myself, that's just me though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks for the comments guys. This site has always treated me well.

I hear what your saying Fabio, not trying to turn this machine too sporty, I've got a 350x for that. But I sure like where it sits now. Feels a lot easier on the body with the x front end.

Our riding on the island is mostly mountain and rain forest. The sx does very well here. Much easier in mud and creeks with the benefit of reverse and no clutch. I get no end to the joy watching my bro struggle with his 200x or 250r. He's looking for an sx now.

I'm finding I pick it over the 350x more and more, but technically, the sx is my wife's machine.lol.

I can't see dropping $700 US on a shock, that would well over a G-note by the time it hit my door, but I may mess around with some salvage shocks, just for giggles and sh*ts. I don't doubt a worx shock is worth every penny though.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //