//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Z Stator Removal

--

Tri-Z Stator Removal

Any tips on the best way to remove the two Phillip heads screws that mount the stator to the casing. Don't think they have ever been removed because it was on its original 68 bore.
    Don't want to round off the heads. Thought about a driver but don't want to hurt casing.
    Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
    Just-Tri-It

:Trikes Owned:
    1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    Nothing better at getting soft jap phillps screws out than an impact screw driver that I have found. Just start off easy...then gradually hit it harder till she spins loose or strips and gets drilled out. Couple heat cycles on the screw with a small pencil torch helps sometimes too.

--
    And a good way to pull a seal without a seal puller as such?
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    A drywall screw and a claw :

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Tri-It View Post
    And a good way to pull a seal without a seal puller as such?
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Those are JIT screws, not Phillips. Using Phillips screw drivers on them is what fudges them up.

Have you got the flywheel off? If so, try heating the heads with a propane torch. Don't get nuts and melt anything, just get them hot and try to remove them with a JIT tool.

Don't have the JIT? You can use and impact driver with a Phillips fitting and , but "tap" the driver, don't John Henry it though the cases.

When you go to reassemble try using Allen Head socket caps screws with some anti-seize, BUT you will have to grind the tops of the screws down, or the flywheel will contact it and the engine wont turn, (or worse).
    It sucks to get old

--
    Thanks. Got them out. I had the puller for the flywheel that mad it easy to pull.
    The seal looks good but it prolly bad because when the carb float stuck while sitting it filled the crank area with gas. I took the stator cover off and gas flowed out like an oil well. I do t think gas would have passed by the seal and entered the stator area if it was worn. Anyhow in doing a tip end and am changing the seals too while I'm at it.
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    Do a pressure test, time well spent on any 2 stroke.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Is an air impact wrench the best way to get the big nut loosen on the right side. Manual says put a piece of lead between the gears but I don't have that. A piece of rug won't stop it completely. Thanks
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    Is an air impact wrench the best way to get the big nut loosen on the right side. Manual says put a piece of lead between the gears but I don't have that. A piece of rug won't stop it completely. Thanks
    Use a (copper) penny. I'll bet you got one of those laying around

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I always use an air impact when loosing the crank and clutch nuts .
    Last edited by shortline10; 02-07-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Got her in. I noticed that the gear shifter infer the basket at the bottom pushes out against the case cover at the bottom. Seems I remember there was a procedure to make it slide back to the left side and stay there and not push out against the cover. Or is that normal?
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    Got her in. I noticed that the gear shifter infer the basket at the bottom pushes out against the case cover at the bottom. Seems I remember there was a procedure to make it slide back to the left side and stay there and not push out against the cover. Or is that normal?
    You lost me. Is your clutch cover off? I don’t recall any issues keeping the shaft in place.

If it is you might want to change the spring that looks like a C clip on the worm that draws it back in after you kick the engine over. That’s the one that takes out the clutch cover when it gets loose. They cost like $5.00 bucks, covers are creeping up on $300
    It sucks to get old

--
    Yes I took the cover off to replace the right crank seal too. And the top end is still off. Evidently when I spun the crank some to oil the bearings, I had to go through the gears to get to neutral do I could spin the crank by hand. With the clutch cover off it allowed the gear shifter to slide over toward the cover. So the point on the gear shifter was pushing out and when I pushed it back in, it was spring loaded some and would Spring back out and be in the way of the cover. I went to the left side and took the case protector off and pulled out on the shifter and it seemed to lick back in place and stopped pushing out against the cover on the other side.
    Seems it fid that once before and I could not remember what I did yo reset it.
    I had the axle on stands and when I turned the tires to get the gears back to neutral, it evidently cause the shifter gear to slide out some on the cover side. I think it's ok now.
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

--
    Sounds like you’re good. The shift return spring ends just need to be pinching the stationary pin if memory serves me.
    It sucks to get old

--
    One more question.
    On the timing marks on the stator and the casing. Should they line up or should the stator mark be to the right of the case mark.? If it is to the right, isn't that advancing the timing. Been so long since I installed one. Book says line them up, but it was a little to the right when I removed it.
    Just-Tri-It

1985 Tri-z's 3
    1986 Tri-z
    1984 YTM 200ERN 1

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //