//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1985 200s wont start after high compression piston and porting head.

--

Exclamation 1985 200s wont start after high compression piston and porting head.

What size jets should I be going to?

--
    Sounds extremely familiar, just went through the exact same thing. I will tell you what the guys on here told me.

Make sure the kill switch it set to run.

First make sure you have spark, no spark, no fire. If no spark is present check the electrical components, make sure everything is good. Make sure the coil is grounded to the frame where it connects, and make sure the motor is grounded through the mounting brackets aka motor mounts.
    My problem was the wires coming from the ignition coil were broken where the wires go into the flywheel housing. I replaced both my coils with ricky stator versions as well. I replaced my wire with 18 gauge wire, and used heat shrink on them as extra insulation. I reused the factory wire loom to make it look original.

Check timing and spark advancer, make sure you have the proper gap on the pulser.

If you have spark I would say its likely a fuel issue. I had to play with mine to get the right setup. I am running the stock keihin carb and run a #45 pilot and 130 main jet. Think I have my fuel screw about 2.5 turns out.

Took me about 2 months to get it togather, and get it running thanks to the guys here.

Here is my setup.

85 200x bored to 66mm with wiesco 12.1 to 1 piston. Its been ported and polished previously, and I installed a web camshaft 214, new did cam chain, guides. I am running klotz hitrate with 93 octane mixture yielding 105 octane. I also put in new kickstarter gears since I knew the compression was gonna be tough. So we have similiar bikes.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help, some of the other guys here may have other good information as well.

--
    Thanks tacky. I just read through your thread. I have good spark and timing has been triple checked. I wish my 200s had kick start this thing rips the pull start out of your hand.
    I'm thinking fuel problem too. It has 98 main jet and 35 pilot I think. I'm not sure where to get a jet kit though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahatchett View Post
    Thanks tacky. I just read through your thread. I have good spark and timing has been triple checked. I wish my 200s had kick start this thing rips the pull start out of your hand.
    I'm thinking fuel problem too. It has 98 main jet and 35 pilot I think. I'm not sure where to get a jet kit though.
    Jets R us will have what you need.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahatchett View Post
    Your welcome, glad I could help. I had an 1983 185s which is very similiar to the 200s. Mine had a compression release operated by a cable via the pull start. I got my jets from dennis kirk they are factory keihin jets made by DG. Only a couple $ a piece. You can order as many as you need of each which is what I did. I have a box for my keihin carbs with all the jet sizes for the 2 types the hex head and slot head jets complete with pilots, and a box for my mikuni carbs that has the same. I do not like jet kits because alot of times the numbers from different manufacturers are not the same jet size even if the number is. Ran into that on my 450 foreman and a dynojet jet kit. That made things more complicated. So then you need the conversion chart to make things equal. I would think a keihin 38 or 40 pilot would be a good place to start. Set the needle in the middle position for the e clip, and main may need to increased to 100 to maybe 110 but you will need to get it running to determine what works best running it under a load. The jet sizes usually increase by 2.5 so it would be like 100, 102.5, 105, 107.5, 110 etc. On my 200x I went from a 40 pilot to a 45 pilot, and 110 to 130 main. But each bike can be different depending on mods.

You could always get a medicine dropper and drop some fuel into the jug, put in the plug and see if it hits over, if so than its definately a fuel issue. Also check your valve adjustment, that could cause an issue too. To tight and they won't close, too loose and the don't open enough.

I dunno the kickstart will put a beating on you too. I have a sore spot usually in the arch of my right foot from kicking mine. When I bored and cammed my 450 foreman I removed the pull start since it would be too annoying to pull and web cam removes the decompression components on that aftermarket cam, factory has it. My 500 polaris also has a pull start and is a 5 times as tough as my 185s was. However my 185s was stock.

Here is the link for the jets where I purchased mine.

https://www.denniskirk.com/search/Kehin+jets.q/40.ipp
    Last edited by Tacky; 02-07-2019 at 03:14 PM.

--
    I bought a set on Ebay but still no luck. I put some gas in the plug hole but it didnt turn hit off. I have spark and compression and I quadruple checked timing. What else could there be. It ran fine before I put in the high comp piston.

--
    D0 you have enough compression?? at least 125 PSI?? Lots of mistakes can be made with 4 stroke top ends and they will cancel out anything else you work on.

Every motor out there, timed correctly and with good compression, will fart with fluid right in the plug.

If it doesn't, your timing is probably 180 degrees out which is the most common mistake 4 stroke motors have happen to them.

Remember, "T" does NOT indicate the proper spot to "fire". Using "T" at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke is the correct place to fire, very common mistake to be 180 out...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Remove your air box lid. Run a 40 pilot and 118 main, needle clip 4th from the top, air jet 1-3/8 turn out. That should get you in the ballpark.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Remove your air box lid. Run a 40 pilot and 118 main, needle clip 4th from the top, air jet 1-3/8 turn out. That should get you in the ballpark.
    How's that 200 lifan working still running

--
    Dirtcrasher, I'm not sure on what the compression is since my compression tester is the wrong thread size. But I know it's more than what it was before and it started fairly easily before, now it is incredibly hard to pull over

Yaegerb,
    I put a 110 jet in it and a 45 pilot with the needle clip in the middle. I'll try yours after checking timing.

--
    The flywheel key had fallen out while it was putting it on.
    Got it to pop off. Gotta go buy another carb kit though. It started leaking around the bowl.

--
    Never had that happen. Just the opposite. I usually have a hard time GETTING them out. Not much sense in taking it out though if it's in good shape. You can take the whole crank apart without touching the key.

If you key is just falling like that....maybe replace it. Every one I have ever seen is quite tight. Woodruff keys are cheap.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I had already taken it out and I was using grease to try and hold it in while I put on the flywheel.

--
    Just got it running, throttle is responsive but It wont idle at all went screw all the way in. Air fuel mixture?
    Anyone have a suggestion to adjust that without pulling carb again?

--
    Fuel screw should be between 1 and 3 turns out, if less than 1, needs a smaller pilot jet, if more than 3 needs a larger pilot. Set the idle after the motor has warmed up 5 or 10 minutes. Mine is cold natured as well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //