//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 105

Thread: Progressive Spring Kit for 85 250R

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    --
    2,143
    Another option is to drill out the old valve stem, and install a new metal valve stem.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

  2. #32
    DDQ's Avatar
    DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    --
    350
    The cap was just resting on it. There was a self tapping screw in the hole.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    The cap was just resting on it. There was a self tapping screw in the hole.
    There are mainly 2 types of schrader valves for fork caps. One is pipe thread and the other is straight thread with an o ring. I'm pretty sue that your forks used the pipe thread type but the honda guys here could tell you for sure or I could just not be lazy and look it up.

    If the threads in the cap are a little messed up, you can buy a pipe thread tap from most hardware stores for around $6.00. Put some WD40 or lite grade oil on the threads then thread it in until it gets moderately hard to turn, then stop. Remove the tap and clean the hole and hope the valve does not thread in until the hex bottoms out on the top of the fork tube nut. If it does, it will likely not hold air if you need to try running some air to keep the forks from bottoming. It also might weep a tiny bit of oil. If the valve bottoms out and leaks some, it could probably be fixed with teflon thread sealer tape or teflon thread sealer paste, or rtv silicone, but you might be able to find a decent on on ebay fairly cheap or someone here might have one.

    .................................................. ...........

    .................................................. ..


    .

  4. #34
    DDQ's Avatar
    DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    --
    350
    The top of the threads are stripped but the bottom half look kind of OK.
    I think to be safe I would rather just drill out the hole, tap it and thread in a new valve. Can anyone tell me what the next size larger valve would be? Are they available at tire shops by chance?




    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    --
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    There are mainly 2 types of schrader valves for fork caps. One is pipe thread and the other is straight thread with an o ring. I'm pretty sue that your forks used the pipe thread type but the honda guys here...
    Some people here consider me a Honda guy. The valve stem is actually molded into the fork cap, so drilling it out completely, and slipping a new valve stem through, or drilling and tapping threads as you suggested is the only way I see this fork cap being salvaged.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

  6. #36
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Some people here consider me a Honda guy.
    Yes, so you are certainly one of the many that can answer that question as you just did.

    .

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    --
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    The top of the threads are stripped but the bottom half look kind of OK.
    I think to be safe I would rather just drill out the hole, tap it and thread in a new valve. Can anyone tell me what the next size larger valve would be? Are they available at tire shops by chance?
    A typical metal valve stem, that you slip through a hole, and tighten a nut on the other side would be available at a tire shop, but I cant say about the thread-in type. That low-profile, thread-in type, with standard threads, that Barns posted, would work pretty slick, as it would probably still enable the plastic fork cap to be used, to conceal the repaired stem which would be hiding underneath.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

  8. #38
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    The top of the threads are stripped but the bottom half look kind of OK.
    I think to be safe I would rather just drill out the hole, tap it and thread in a new valve. Can anyone tell me what the next size larger valve would be? Are they available at tire shops by chance?
    Below is just one option in a worst case scenario if you need it.


  9. #39
    DDQ's Avatar
    DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    --
    350
    Thank you.

    I am in contact with someone who MIGHT have a used cap for me. I should know for sure tomorrow but buying one of the valves above is my back up plan.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  10. #40
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    Hmmm, Tecate you say? Never heard that before......tell us more!
    ..............................................

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    --
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    because...(wait for it)........The Tecate Is The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe...
    What took you so long?
    Nico Suave.... be part of something bigger

  12. #42
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    What took you so long?
    I had to wait for the right opportunity.

  13. #43
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    .
    I just got this message back from the owner of the bike I posted.

    The forks are off a 2001 cr250r & they are shorten about 2 inches to give the proper ride height. The rear shock was built by BDT Motorsports.

    I run two different race trikes. Only one of them has the inverted forks. Although the inverted forks have more adjustability- they are not that much better than the stock forks that have been rebuilt by BDT Motorsports. The inverted forks were definitely not worth the extra $ in my opinion.

    The hand cone pipes were built by Kenny Robert's - he builds the best performing 3 wheeler pipes in my opinion.

    .

  14. #44
    barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    minnesota
    --
    5,916
    This is the latest message from the guy that owns the bike I posted a photo of. He is referring to the stock forks in this particular reply.

    "I have only ran the BDT built forks. They use stiffer & progressive springs as well as they change the valving in the forks = huge improvement over stock. I have heard others say they are happy with race tech as well. A lot of the after market rear trx shocks can be used on the rear of a 250r three Wheeler as well. The custom rear BDT shock was not that expensive & performs amazing."

  15. #45
    DDQ's Avatar
    DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    --
    350
    I was unable to find a used fork cap so I will be drilling out and installing a schrader valve this weekend. I will report nack exactly what I use


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //