//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATC200 crank rebuild

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    The correct tool to remove the main crank bearings .
    What brand separator is that? I'm looking at the Pittsburgh one at Harbor Freight since Pittsburgh has a lifetime guarantee.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    No clue on the brand , bought it a long time ago .
    The Pittsburgh should do the job !

Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    What brand separator is that? I'm looking at the Pittsburgh one at Harbor Freight since Pittsburgh has a lifetime guarantee.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    The tool shortline posted is tapered to slip under the outer bearing race as you tighten the nuts evenly. This gets bearing removal started (most of the time) by lifting on the outer race to get the inner race moving. This is why you NEVER reuse a bearing that has been removed by putting a side load on one of the races.

Attachment 257276

I typically use the hot/cold method to install bearings, as well as lubing the shaft prior to insertion *cough* . It just makes things go a little smoother.

Work smarter not harder.
    Ahh, I see. How would one go about getting the right side bearing off on a 200 model though? With the oil pressure pad on that side I wouldn't really want to push on it??

Is there anything wrong with lubing the shaft? Make sense to me, though you wouldn't want it to turn on the crank obviously.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    By oil pressure pad do you mean 12/13 in the pic below?

I don't have one right in front of me, but if it were me, I'd tap or press out #17 and remove the pad and spring to see if it would be possible to press on the shaft then. If not I'd probably use a thick washer and a socket. Put the washer inside the socket, place it over the end of the shaft and then press it off. The thick washer, or multiple washers if neccesary, should protect the end of the crankshaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda 200 Crank.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	257279

ETA: Nope, nuthin' wrong with lubin' the shaft, just ask glamy

You may not have picked up on it barnboy, but "lubing the shaft " was a tiny bit of double entendre.

ETA@: I just looked at a good pic of that end and I would be removing that pin, spring, and pad to do a thorough cleaning anyway.
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 02-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    How the phuk did we get here from rebuilding a crankshaft?
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Hey Gabe .......are we gonna build our cranks today ..........what size is your crank ?..........is it a 200 series .........or maybe the big daddy 250 series ...........or is it a 300ex series ............or perhaps it`s 400ex series ..........butt thats a quad ......silly me...........you really don`t want to be a quad ...........only a Mr. Bungle would want a quad ........is`nt that right ..........Gabe
    Buckethead is disappointed Glamy. You forgot the lil cranks. 50 70 90 110. Get some KFC and reflect.

Shep is not crossing the Mississippi.
    Trikefest surviver 2013 and 2014

--
    What the!!!!!!!!

Did I really just get this lucky? I’m having a hard time believing it.

I used a good engine assembly lube and pressed my crank together.
    The rod to crank side clearance is .0025
    I figure it will loosen up a little as it breaks in and the thrust washers wear a little.

So...I get it in my little indicating fixture, zero out my indicator and it doesn’t move.
    Hold on. I’m doing something wrong. Get out my flashlight and look closer. My eyes suck.
    My indicator is .001 reading and I can see an ever so slight movement. So I go dig out my Interapid test indicator and ditch this cheap travel indicator. It’s tenths reading and will REALLY tell the truth.
    Setting it on the furthest out machined journal I get 6 tenths runout.
    .0006!!! Uhhhh, I’m calling this good!
    No adjustments. Straight out of the press.

I had to have done something wrong. Nothing ever works out the first time. So, get the air hose and check my oil passageway. Squirt some penetrating oil in and hit the air. Oil squirts out around the sides of the rod. So that’s good

F me! Did I get lucky or what!?!?!

.....wait, NO! I’m just that good right? .....yeah, I’m just that good. Lol!!!
    I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever once in a while.

--
    ....ohh yeah, it’s a brand new SPI rod, bearing, thrust washers & crank journal.
    Set me back just shy of $40 on eBay.

I am curious about this crank journal I just installed though.
    The factory one had no holes in the side. This one does and has some cup shaped inserts pressed in the holes on each side.
    The cups have a VERY tiny pin hole drilled in them. This is going to shed oil out the sides of the crank. Not much as the holes are only a few thousandths but I wonder how that will effect oil pressure?

Last edited by Gabriel; 02-16-2019 at 09:38 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    This is nothing. Tell Glamy you plan to stroke your crank and he might just blow your rod.
    It sucks to get old

--
    A dirty mind is a turribl thing to waste........

--
    What the!!!!!!!!

Did I really just get this lucky? I’m having a hard time believing it.

I used a good engine assembly lube and pressed my crank together.
    The rod to crank side clearance is .0025
    I figure it will loosen up a little as it breaks in and the thrust washers wear a little.

So...I get it in my little indicating fixture, zero out my indicator and it doesn’t move.
    Hold on. I’m doing something wrong. Get out my flashlight and look closer. My eyes suck.
    My indicator is .001 reading and I can see an ever so slight movement. So I go dig out my Interapid test indicator and ditch this cheap travel indicator. It’s tenths reading and will REALLY tell the truth.
    Setting it on the furthest out machined journal I get 6 tenths runout.
    .0006!!! Uhhhh, I’m calling this good!
    No adjustments. Straight out of the press.

I had to have done something wrong. Nothing ever works out the first time. So, get the air hose and check my oil passageway. Squirt some penetrating oil in and hit the air. Oil squirts out around the sides of the rod. So that’s good

F me! Did I get lucky or what!?!?!

.....wait, NO! I’m just that good right? .....yeah, I’m just that good. Lol!!!
    I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever once in a while.
    Doncha just luv it when chit goes right the first time?

--
    F me!
    Careful! glamy's fixin' ta get sweet on ya!

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    The rod to crank side clearance is .0025 it’s a brand new SPI rod, bearing, thrust washers & crank journal.
    That's a little tighter than I would make it, especially with an aftermarket rod.

I prefer to not have parts make their own clearances by wearing metal away.

I would use a very good oil with that tight clearance.

--
    I can try to loosen it but no way it would ever run this true again.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I can try to loosen it but no way it would ever run this true again.
    Crank trueness is irrelevant if the rod seizes, and it is certainly possible to get it to run at least close to what it currently is. This being said, I'm not saying that it will definitely seize, or that you should definitely widen the clearance, and it may be just fine, especially if you don't plan to rev the bejesus out of it, but I for one would seriously consider increasing the clearance as I would prefer to have a greater margin of safety if it was available to me.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //