//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nuetral and reverse lights just started acting goofy

--

Nuetral and reverse lights just started acting goofy

Greetings atc maniacs .Hey this just happened yesterday while out putting around on my RED 84 200ES . When I stopped to put it in reverse I noticed the red and green lights on my dash were either weak or not on at all. They seem to fade out when idling but got brighter when I revved the engine. Seemed kinda weird. Could it be a bad ground or connection somewhere? REALLY Hoping its not a neutral safety switch as both red and green lights acted up at the same time ! Any ideas where to start looking ?
    redfleet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tri guy View Post
    REALLY Hoping its not a neutral safety switch as both red and green lights acted up at the same time ! Any ideas where to start looking ?
    redfleet
    Why? I’d rather it BE that as some other things. PS2Fixer is our resident wiring deity and has a very affordable plug and play solution to that.

But....if I were dealing with this I’d start to with the battery. If that’s good and hot I would pull the dash and check for bad connections. Tracing back till I found it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    UPDATE Today I turned the key on and again the neutral light was dim. Hit the button, light went OUT. So I put the battery charger on for a few. Turned the key back on bright green light . Yay! Hit the key turned over good once. Tried it again, something clicked and then NOTHING. Now theres nothing, no light, just nothin. The battery charger says FULL so that's not it. Gotta be a loose connection somewhere...

--
    What voltage is the battery with key off....what is it with key on and trying to crank?
    How old is battery, what kinda charger and amps you use to charge it?

--
    Hey. Its got good voltage till I turn the key on and drops off to NOTHING. Its a fairly new battery and I use a 2 A trickel charger.I just tried it again the neutral light came on nice and bright, hit the button , heard a CLICK near the battery then. NOTHING. So somethings loose back there but what could it be ? Is the solenoid back there ? Its Not much fun in my 20 degree garage either BTW !

--
    Update 12.6 V, turn key on drops to 1.5 V

--
    Check the fuse on the hot side of the battery, that’s the usual spot for a bad connection . It should be located left side near the starter relay .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    UPDATE: Ok I opened up the rubber holder to look at the fuse it was fine, put it back hit the key and the neutral light was ON. Brightly. So I hit the button, the light dimmed a bit with the clicking sound near the battery, then the light went out (again) no click, no light no nothin ! (again) Getting closer !

--
    That’s what I was getting at those fuse holders go bad .
    Grab it .....wiggle it ..... while at the same time trying to start the motor .
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    Not sure where you're reading battery voltage at, but if you're doing it directly on the battery LEAD lugs and it drops voltage that much, it might just be as simple as a junk battery (no cranking amps for output). If you have a set of jumper cables of decent size, you could jump a car/truck to the atv battery to see if it's the battery. You won't need the car/truck running since the atv uses so much less power than automotive to automotive jumping and it's just a quick test anyway. If jumper cables works, and assuming the cable to battery connection is good, you'd need a new atv battery. If it doesn't work, it's something else (assuming the jumper cables got a good connection and are heavy enough to handle the load).

That clicking noise should be the starter relay. Might be interesting to repeat the voltage test while trying to crack with it unplugged (just the little wires). If nothing changes, then it's probably load related (like bad connection), or the starter failed shorted.

You could bypass the solenoid and jump the starter positive wire direct to battery positive if you're careful, but it will arc some. If the starter doesn't spin, it might be bad. If it spins fine, I'd check the two big lugs on the starter solenoid, loose them, then tighten again (don't break them though, it's just copper or brass studs). Do the same for the two bolts for the battery cables, and also the positive wire running to the starter, likely under a rubber boot. I don't recall where the battery grounds to exactly, but follow the ground side of the battery and the spot it bolts on the frame should have the same process done to it. If you notice anything overly rusty (mainly bolt threads, and the face of the bolt that touches the terminals), you'd want to clean off the rust and likely apply some sort of grease to preserve the metal from rusting again.

Also, good news about your lights, the neutral and reverse safety switches wouldn't do that at the same time since both are independent from each other for their grounding. They would dim from low voltage, if you turn on your head light, it would do the same thing.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

--
    UPDATE : ps2fixer NAILED IT ! It WAS the flippin battery even tho it was less than a year old ! Thanks again ps2fixer and 3WW!! Next battery I get will get the WARRANTY !

--
    A battery tester is a handy tool. Not a volt meter....You need one that will test a battery while applying a load. Many a battery produces proper voltage.....until you start drawing on it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Now go site in the corner
    Glad you figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by tri guy View Post
    UPDATE : ps2fixer NAILED IT ! It WAS the flippin battery even tho it was less than a year old ! Thanks again ps2fixer and 3WW!! Next battery I get will get the WARRANTY !
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    87 atc 125m stock

--
    That's lousy!! What damn brand battery was it?? Was it a 35$ job? I usually pay the 60$ at WallyWorld and forget about it...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    It was a "chrome battery" brand I got from ebay. I got back with the Company the sold it and they're gonna get me a new one ( after I pay shipping $ 6.99 ) so Im happy with that I suppose

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //