//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing Stock Rubber on 250sx SUUUUUUUUCKS....

--
    Beadbuster that shortline10 suggested https://beadbuster.com/

I've been changing tires for nearly a couple decades, and I can say that some flat repair in-a-can stuff that was used in a tire long ago, just about glues the bead to the wheel and causes a whole lot of rust in steel wheels. It often takes a good bead breaker and some experience to loosen them up. I've broken many tractor and big truck tires down by hand, some fix-a-flated ATV tires can be a whole bunch more difficult. Back to the Beadbuster previously suggested.

Any tire sealant, like Slime, that has water in it, will eventually ruin steel and aluminum wheels. It often plugs up the Schrader valve too. Fix-A-Flat definitely destroys wheels much quicker, at least the older version that is likely found used in ATC tires.

I've been using Quadboss sealant for a few years now, and it works much better than Slime, which I've also used. The Quadboss sealant is more expensive, but I've been completely satisfied with it that I'll buy more when the gallon I have now, is used. Supposedly, it's the same as the High Lifter brand, but I can't confirm.

I put Quadboss sealant in a new utility ATC tires, but I've also used it in other slow speed tires with leaks, and it sealed them, without the worry of rim corrosion.

A lot of the ATV tires that are shipped now, are all contorted and banded together to save on shipping size. That not only makes them difficult to mount, but more importantly, to seat. A tip there is to let them sit in the sun for a couple hours (cloudy day-SOL) before mounting. A lot of the OTR 350 Mag tires I've mounted were so smashed for shipping, I had to do that and use a bead seater to get them seated. A bead seater is something else a tire shop will have that most people don't have at home.
    Last edited by ATC King; 02-19-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Beadbuster that shortline10 suggested https://beadbuster.com/

A lot of the ATV tires that are shipped now, are all contorted and banded together to save on shipping size. That not only makes them difficult to mount, but more importantly, to seat. A tip there is to let them sit in the sun for a couple hours (cloudy day-SOL) before mounting. A lot of the OTR 350 Mag tires I've mounted were so smashed for shipping, I had to do that and use a bead seater to get them seated. A bead seater is something else a tire shop will have that most people don't have at home.
    Thanks for the reply!! From the site you linked, this is one of the bead-breakers I tried to use:

And is this the product you recommend instead?

I also like your idea of leaving the new tires in the sun to help seat the bead, but this new tire (kenda k290) was so warped that I don't think that would have helped much. Thankfully the tried, tested and true "fire bead trick" did the job in my case - but even that didn't work the first 2 times lying horizontally I had to set the tire vertically and position the hub JUST RIGHT before the explosion trick did the job.

--
    The bead bust is the only tire removal tool I use in my shop anymore , yes it will remove an old rotten tire bead when used correctly . I use them so much that I’ve worn 3 out , this last time I splurged and bought the chromoly version.
    The only downside of this product is if you use it like me almost on a daily basis the threads will strip out eventually in the body were it pushed the foot down .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Those large lever type bead breakers have the same problems the ones on actual tire machines have when trying to break down damaged, old tires. They don't really get between the bead and rim, so more often than not, when dealing with old, damaged tires, they just end up pushing the sidewall in and don't move the bead. The other problem is they apply pressure to one side of the tire/wheel, but don't secure the other side, which means the wheel just moves, not the bead.

The trick Gabriel mentioned, about leaving some pressure in the tire works really well, but, on damaged tires, that's not possible. I've changed a good many blown out tires, that's where something else can make it easier.

What needs pointed out about the product shortline10 mentioned, is that is breaks the bead by clamping to and applying force against the wheel itself. It holds itself in place, so it applies force directly to the bead and stays put while doing so. It's nothing like the large lever type bead breakers that apply force against the entire wheel/tires assembly, which tends to leverage the opposite side of the assembly up, consequently rolling the sidewall instead of staying put on the bead.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I have had to cut the tire off with a utility knife going around the rim on each side and then use tin snips or big side cut pliers to cut through each individual bead wire until I had cut enough to get the bead to pop over that hump in the rim so I can get it the rest of the way off with bars

That was worst case scenario

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Thanks for the reply!! From the site you linked, this is one of the bead-breakers I tried to use:

And is this the product you recommend instead?

I also like your idea of leaving the new tires in the sun to help seat the bead, but this new tire (kenda k290) was so warped that I don't think that would have helped much. Thankfully the tried, tested and true "fire bead trick" did the job in my case - but even that didn't work the first 2 times lying horizontally I had to set the tire vertically and position the hub JUST RIGHT before the explosion trick did the job.
    I'm not seeing a bead breaker in the first picture...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    I think he meant 'ball buster'

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I think he meant 'ball buster'

Now, now, there's no need to get teste.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Youse guys are a handfull

Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fed.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	257377
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have had the pleasure of removing all sorts of dry rotted tires. A backhoe, mini excavator, even a skid steer with forks works great...here's a pic from a few years ago, peeling foam filled tires off rims with pallet forks on a skid steer. Even a harbor freight bead breaker is better than nothing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170131_000923539.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	257629

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //