//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Stock Rubber on 250sx SUUUUUUUUCKS....

--

Thumbs down Removing Stock Rubber on 250sx SUUUUUUUUCKS....

Sorry - just have to vent... I spent 2 hours yesterday working at (and swearing at) the original Ohtsu tires from my '86 250SX.

After spending 15 mins trying to break the bead, I cut them off - then spent the next 1.5 hours peeling away the remaining rubber and cutting the steel belts. The problem is the belts are SO DAMN TIGHT against the hub it's very difficult to get wire cutters in there. If I had a dremel handy that probably would have made things easier, but I didn't - so it was a lot of prying with screwdriver then snapping belts one at a time (when I could get a bite on them).

Anyone have any tips for this stuff? Again I think a dremel would have helped... i tried an angle grinder but it was too big and would have damaged the hub.

Vent over - my kenda k290 scorpion is finally on the front

PS - please don't use tire slime, it's SUCH a mess

--
    Next time invest in a beadbuster
    I can only imagine the hell you went threw to remove that bead .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Sorry - just have to vent... I spent 2 hours yesterday working at (and swearing at) the original Ohtsu tires from my '86 250SX.

After spending 15 mins trying to break the bead, I cut them off - then spent the next 1.5 hours peeling away the remaining rubber and cutting the steel belts.
    Anyone have any tips for this stuff?
    Yes, take them to a tire or motorcycle/atv shop that can remove them for you if one is nearby.

--
    I have used a bottle jack under the trailer hitch on a truck to break beads. Also a trailer tongue jack works good when its hooked to a truck to hold the tongue up while you work.
    I found a Harbor Freight tire changer setup on CL for 20 bucks so now I use it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanytoys View Post
    I have used a bottle jack under the trailer hitch on a truck to break beads. Also a trailer tongue jack works good when its hooked to a truck to hold the tongue up while you work.
    I found a Harbor Freight tire changer setup on CL for 20 bucks so now I use it.
    The Harbor Freight tire changer stand definitely wouldn't have worked here - that's what I have, and that's what I tried using to break the bead for first 15 mins. After being patient and nothing was budging I started jumping on the pry bar and that pushed the bead-buster right through the sidewall... I'm assuming a more expensive commercial-grade bead buster would have worked, but maybe not - the tire was so rotten it may have just cut through too without dislodging the bead.

--
    I totally understand. Sx wheels are a special kind of pain in he azz. Had to do the same thing as you and cut some off recently myself.
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Sometimes it's worth the 20-25 bucks to have a tire place do it.

X10 on Slime or any other sealant, unless it's an emergency situation.

They do make a bead sealer that I use on the tires I mount. Helps keep the corrosion down.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    $20-25!!!???

You guys are getting screwed.
    I do it for $10-15 each depending on how hard they are.

One of the real tricks to breaking them down is NOT letting all the air out.
    You need something to push against and when it’s flat, it just wants to skip over the bead and into the sidewall.
    Leave 5 pounds or so in it and break the backside down first. Unless it’s a reverse wheel. Either way break the long side down first.
    Then air it back up but only enough to have some air in it. No need to seat the bead again. Then break the front down.

I’ve been doing tires for 13+ years now. These ATV wheels can be a betch but they ain’t THAT bad. Rather do them then those stupid run flats.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Sometimes it's worth the 20-25 bucks to have a tire place do it.

X10 on Slime or any other sealant, unless it's an emergency situation.

They do make a bead sealer that I use on the tires I mount. Helps keep the corrosion down.
    Good call....I’ve seen the tire guys use some sort of grease on the bead before mounting. Maybe water soluble? I use petroleum jelly.
    I recently had some that were rusted on, so I soaked them with penetrating lube-just like a rusted screw and it helped. Dish soap/water works good, too.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    Good call....I’ve seen the tire guys use some sort of grease on the bead before mounting. Maybe water soluble? I use petroleum jelly.
    I recently had some that were rusted on, so I soaked them with penetrating lube-just like a rusted screw and it helped. Dish soap/water works good, too.
    I used a tiny bit of petroleum based grease on ATV tire beads once long ago and that tire would spin on the rim under hard acceleration.

Tire shops I worked at as a teen used a mix of dish detergent and water because its slippery but dries up easily, is a little sticky when dry, but can be rinsed off with water. I still use a little Dawn in some water on all my tires I install myself

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    One of the real tricks to breaking them down is NOT letting all the air out.
    You need something to push against and when it’s flat, it just wants to skip over the bead and into the sidewall.
    Leave 5 pounds or so in it and break the backside down first. Unless it’s a reverse wheel. Either way break the long side down first.
    Then air it back up but only enough to have some air in it. No need to seat the bead again. Then break the front down.

I’ve been doing tires for 13+ years now. These ATV wheels can be a betch but they ain’t THAT bad. Rather do them then those stupid run flats.
    Thanks for the tips - what would you suggest for a rotted tire like I was working with? There was no way I could get it to hold ANY air, and that's exactly what was happening to me - skipping over the bead and into the sidewall.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I used a tiny bit of petroleum based grease on ATV tire beads once long ago and that tire would spin on the rim under hard acceleration.

Tire shops I worked at as a teen used a mix of dish detergent and water because its slippery but dries up easily, is a little sticky when dry, but can be rinsed off with water. I still use a little Dawn in some water on all my tires I install myself

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Well hell!! Hopefully, the term ‘spinning my wheels’ won’t apply here. But it doesn’t look too good, huh?........that doesn’t sound like a good idea, now. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    5 mins at any tire change place an throwing them a few bucks would of saved you the time.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I found this C-channel cut at an angle with a torch works great. The angle maximizes the surface area of the tool and the rough cut from the torch helps to grip the tires. I used it on my original SX Ohtsu's this past summer and it worked really well.

The other thing I recently learned which I was amazed I'd never thought to use; a log splitter. I've had a log splitter for 12 years and somehow never thought to use it for breaking beads.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    PS - please don't use tire slime, it's SUCH a mess

At the John Deere dealer I worked at, we would charge customers 5 bucks more for repairing or replacing tires/tubes that had slime or fix a flat in them. What a nasty mess. And the smell stays on your hands and arms for DAYS! I've seen that fix a flat garbage destroy the insides of rims. Garbage. I use a slide for breaking stubborn beads most of the time now. I have a nice Coats machine but still prefer to mount and dismount by hand. I feel much more in control. The tire machine tends to rip the beads no matter how careful I am or how much Murphy Soap I use.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //