//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Why I've been gone lately TLDR - Drive Failure

--

Why I've been gone lately TLDR - Drive Failure

First things first, if anyone had requests or anything for me to make, you'll need to pm me about it again. This is one reason why I don't normally do prepaid work.

Anyway on to the topic at hand. My main computer's primary drive failed which is where windows is located and such. The bulk of my data was on another drive (NAS for those that know what that is), so 99% of stuff I still have. However, I did have data loss, mainly notes I had in notepad ++ (phone numbers, some contact details, ideas etc), and I was using the windows program sticky notes to keep tabs on requests and parts to order next, and some ideas there too. Nothing super major, but the requested harnesses etc I can't just magically dig up, and it would take probably days to dig though all requests, track down if they were paid/shipped etc, so I'm starting with a clean slate for requests. I think I only had 5 or so requests noted, so hopefully those people ping me some time and we can get back in communication.

More techy type of info for those that are into computers. The primary drive was a Toshiba Q300 480GB SSD SATA drive. I bought it 37.5 months ago, and it failed just after the warranty of 36 months. I guess it lasted it's expected life with it being a consumer grade drive. The 2TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD drive I have in the same machine I bought at the same time and it's still running great. With it being a higher grade (I think pro = low end data server grade or maybe actual server grade), I'm confident it won't fail. I bought another Samsung drive to replace the Toshiba just because everything online points to them being amazing, and the Toshiba Q300 series being complete garbage. Ironically, SSD's *should* in theory have a longer life than normal spinning drives, at least for modern ones, but from here on out I'll be sticking with higher grade drives only. I also have 6 Seagate NAS grade drives running 24/7 for 3 years, not one problem from them at all, and the laws of chance says they are 6 times more likely to fail than a single drive. Tip from my experience, NEVER use consumer or "desktop" grade drives in your computer, big time if you run your computer 24/7, or very often (say daily 5hr+ a day).

Hopefully no one gets mad at me for loosing them requests, if they do, I guess oh well, life happens and things mess up, just have to get over it and move on. On another note, at least we don't have -12F overnight lows any more, weather is looking a lot better lol.

--
    Glad you're ok and it's good to see you back on here!

--
    I know you posted something but my dumb redneck azz didn’t understand a lick of it. Lol!
    My go to responses for computer problems are:
    Hey woman, can you figure this out please?
    ....no? Can you buy me a new one with a better warranty then?
    Thanks babe!

Lol!!!!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Lol, I guess I didn't give a warning, my actual carreer is in computers, so I don't buy a computer from the local big box store, I upgrade my hardware from like a 1990's era case lol. Computer I'm on now is like an old high end workstation case.

Anyway, to use more end user terms, the place windows, photos, and your typical data is stored, that died on my pc. If you've opened my computer before (or just computer on like windows 8 and up), you've probably seen the "C:" drive, that's the one that failed on my machine.

I would have been back online sooner, but had windows updates to deal with on my horrible internet connection and had some issues with this computer that was holding me up from switching to it. This one is like 6 months old, other one is something like 8 years old and was running 24/7, and it will be coming back online and running 24/7 again lol. The actual specs between the two systems aren't a huge world of difference, but I can defo feel the performance increase (8 core 3.6ghz vs 6 core 3.3ghz). I also upgraded from 32gb of ram to 64gb of ram, but I'm a power user, I have a million things opened all the time, like right now I have 4 browser, im and some misc stuff opened and 10gb of ram used. Here's the fancy task manager screen shot.

Anyway, if this computer lingo goes over your head, don't feel back, probably 95% or more of people using computers wouldn't have a clue either. The younger generation is probably a bit higher % since they grew up around computers, which I pretty much did too.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Just replaced my PNY 250GB "C" drive (OS only) that was basically full with a 1T Samsung 860 Evo. I used Samsung Data Migration to clone my OS to the new drive. Simple and fast. I made a clone copy to my 1T external HD before I cloned to the new drive.

I'm still trying to figure out how to wipe the old drive, I tried using the Windows program to do it but I wasn't too sure if I was doing it correctly, I need to do a little more research. I've d/l Samsung Magician, but that only works with Samsung drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    If by wipe drive you mean to 0 it out so you could sell/dispose of the drive and have your data be gone off it, check out the program boot and nuke (dban). As the name implies, you boot it off a usb/cd and you choose which drive to "nuke". You can configure how safe you want to be, but I think the default is 3 passes. Not sure if that's really needed for an SSD, one pass might be enough. Written data = wear on an SSD, so for resale reasons you'd want to write as little as possible to it.

Another way you can 0 the drive out, but isn't a proper full wipe (good enough to destroy the data on the drive though for the average user) is to format the drive. Basically right click the target drive while in windows (can't be booted on it), right click and select format. Make sure "quick format" is NOT selected. This will recreate the drive with the partition area on the drive 0'ed out and will take a while to process. The quick format just updates the main "index" that there's no files and doesn't touch the actual data area which is why it's quick, same logic as "deleting" a file doesn't delete the data of the file, just removes it's name from the assigned files in the drive.

The Samsung 860 EVO is a consumer grade drive, but it has pretty nice specs. I opted for the older 850 Pro because it has great specs with a factory 10 year warranty (drives are around 3-4 years old by now), and under warranty they allow up to 300tb wrote to the drive. I've done some research, and the 850 also uses higher quality memory which is likely why my first 2tb drive was $700, and a new 860 pro 2tb is around $500. I doubt they would make a move to make the drives too unreliable, but lately it seems lower price is #1 target for the SSD makers since they have essentially maxed out Sata speeds, and I think the PCI-E SSD cards are more or less maxing out the bus speed too (3.5GB/s). For the non-power users, that's reading a 4.7GB DVD movie in 1.34 secs start to finish.

Anyway, here's the dban site. It's been a long time since I've used it so not sure if there's anything new with it or not.
    https://dban.org/

I'm sure I'm geeking out too much again lol.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Thanks! I'll check out that dban site.

I'll probably just keep the drive and use as extra storage for pics or whatever.

lol at geeking out! I know enough about computer to be dangerous. I can usually figure stuff out, after all these years I have yet to have to call the geeksquad

ETA: dban site says "It cannot detect or erase SSDs" oh well, I figure something else out
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 02-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I see, good luck. It might be best to unplug all other drives you don't want wiped so there's no mistakes.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //