//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Softening Old Rubber Parts or Seat Vinyl

--

Softening Old Rubber Parts or Seat Vinyl

I have used silicone spray to soften old rubber parts on my machines in the past. Basically, soak the rubber part down with spray silicone and put it in a ziplock bag for a few days. Repeat as necessary to get the desired softness. I have not had any adverse effects on any parts that I have used that technique on. I have also heard that ATF, brake fluid, and furniture polish work as well. Does anyone have any other tips or tricks? Any other experiences with this?

Also, what are some ideas to soften older vinyl seat covers before they crack? I have always used Armor-All or some equivalent on my seats, but the vinyl seems to keep stiffening up over the years. My machines do not see any sun except when I'm riding them, so it is just use and natural aging that is hardening them (I always clean any mud/dirt, etc. off of them after riding as well).

--
    I soak everything rubber in 303 protectant. Works good on seats/plastic too...does make em a lil slippery for a while tho!
    Last edited by twomanytoys; 03-01-2019 at 01:48 PM.

--
    Who makes that?

--
    https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ce-protectant/

I got turned onto it years ago for use on white water kayaking drysuit latex gaskets. It makes them last 10+ years instead of a 2-3 before drying out and cracking.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //