//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATC200 1984 Refuses to Start, Low Compression

--
    So did you test the valves for leaking? I feel like your fighting this LOL.
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X
    and a bunch of 2 wheelers

--
    i will retard the timing and see could one notch affect it so drastically??

The valves look bad yeah and the gaskets are not perfect but would that keep the compression soo low?
    Does pouring a bit of gas in the valve area to check for leaks work i saw someone mention that above

To be honest im trying my best to understand how all this works so a future project might come easier, and i am being as gentle as i can but a slight overtighten and it snaps. Ive taken it apart like 5 times now so at least that is a bit easier but i feel like there's some major component im messing up i feel like even if my gaskets were crap i would get a better reading than 30.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanytoys View Post
    Next move. Pour gas up top and check for leaks below??

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dwheeler23 View Post
    i will retard the timing and see could one notch affect it so drastically??
    Yes.

The valves look bad yeah and the gaskets are not perfect but would that keep the compression soo low?
    Yes.

Does pouring a bit of gas in the valve area to check for leaks work i saw someone mention that above
    Yes, but you already know you have leaks. If you set it all up right and it still doesnt build compression, this gas trick is a novelty. Your top is leaking. There, now you know.

To be honest im trying my best to understand how all this works so a future project might come easier, and i am being as gentle as i can but a slight overtighten and it snaps.
    Welcome to it! Tight is tight and old metal thats been hott a lot of times is brittle. That's what working on old bikes is man.

Ive taken it apart like 5 times now so at least that is a bit easier but i feel like there's some major component im messing up i feel like even if my gaskets were crap i would get a better reading than 30.
    Nope. If theres no seal theres no pressure build, simple as that.

--
    Take a look at the pics bro. Dont get wrapped up on this stupid test, there's a lot more wrong here than a backyard leak test will reveal. At least 6 things that have been done wrong already. The head is leaking, and there's things that are obvious that he hasnt addressed yet.

Stop looking for a simple answer. The fact is that this project is far from done because of the urge to hurry.

--
    How hard are your tires when they have 30psi in them?... You want that motor to have well over 100psi in it, imagine how tight metal has to fit against metal to hold that kind of pressure. It has to be right.

--
    Okay i hear you. Let me get back to you after one more tear down and see if i can do it up properly. Just trying everything alright

--
    Take a look at the pics bro. Dont get wrapped up on this stupid test, there's a lot more wrong here than a backyard leak test will reveal. At least 6 things that have been done wrong already. The head is leaking, and there's things that are obvious that he hasnt addressed yet.

Stop looking for a simple answer. The fact is that this project is far from done because of the urge to hurry.

LOL ok Ill leave you 2 to it!
    I cant tell if his piston is the right size...but I can tell his valves are toast if gas drains through them like a pasta strainer! LOLOL

Fyi,,,take head off...turn upside down...fill the round cavity up and see how fast it drains off past valves...any thin liquid will do. Gas is handy ususally.
    If it drains off at all...you need a valve job.
    And yes...chunks of gasket holding your parts apart is a bad thing.
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X

--
    If it drains off at all...you need a valve job.
    Or you have a little carbon on a valve, or weak springs, or several other things

--
    Quote Originally Posted by roguemode View Post
    Or you have a little carbon on a valve, or weak springs, or several other things
    You like to argue dont ya? Just trying to help the poor guy figure out why he only has 30psi of compression.
    Maybe you should go help him in person since your such the expert and dont want anyone else to help him LOLOL
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X

--
    You like to argue dont ya? Just trying to help the poor guy figure out why he only has 30psi of compression.
    Maybe you should go help him in person since your such the expert and dont want anyone else to help him LOLOL
    I don't want to waste my time so I want him to listen to me instead of someone that is hyperfocused on a test that won't matter at all.

--
    I don't want to waste my time so I want him to listen to me instead of someone that is hyperfocused on a test that won't matter at all.

Ummm this is an open forum...not a personal chat room. LOLOL
    Obviously your new to the internet...
    Im done wasting my time here. You and your proven results are on your own.
    Last edited by twomanytoys; 03-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X

--
    Alright guys no need to bicker i appreciate everyone's advice lets just get this running. Cant even go riding someone stole my 250 raptor off my property while on vacation so this is my only hope right now and im determined.

So. After scraping EVERY piece of gasket i could get i think the gaskets are good and cleaned.
    I made sure piston rings are 120 degrees apart, checked dowels + O rings, and TDC cam timing and valve adjustment perfectly imo.

Tested the upside down valve leak trick with rubbing alcohol and after trying it twice im pretty sure theres no leak. Going to triple check with a towel underneath or something.

After assembling up to the pulse generator cover im still getting 30 psi! Maybe 40 but definitely still to low to operate. Got to be something else major
    A weak valve spring seems possible when i crank the recoil i hear a woosh of air go out the exhaust area.

P.S. I also have untouched new valve spring seals that came with the top end gaskets kit could that be a cause? As i mentioned the valve springs is the one area i have not really touched yet i would need a compressor or whatever tool necessary and a bit of a walkthrough to service them or just send them in. Would putting another set of used valves + springs work off a running trike or whats my options.

Another thing that came with the top end kit was a metal ring somewhat larger than the thrust washer behind the cam sprocket no idea where it would go/replace.

I feel like im close but dont want to get excited yet. IT HAS TO BE VALVE RELATED RIGHT??
    Will upload BEFORE & AFTER photos soon
    The Serdi valve servicing needs like 5-6 weeks DAMN
    Last edited by dwheeler23; 03-11-2019 at 02:10 AM.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3067.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	769.8 KB 
ID:	257682

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	257683

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	634.8 KB 
ID:	257684

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	782.8 KB 
ID:	257685

--

Name:	IMG_3075.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	624.1 KB 
ID:	257686

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	652.5 KB 
ID:	257687

Name:	IMG_3073.jpg 
Size:	606.3 KB 
ID:	257688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3072.jpg 
Size:	585.6 KB 
ID:	257689

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //