//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 82 Honda 250R -clutch not engaging while bike on idle.

--

82 Honda 250R -clutch not engaging while bike on idle.

Hello all,
    I needed some help or advise on my clutch issue. While having my bike turned on & in neutral, pressing the clutch handle & dropping the gear down to 1st my atc jerks & turns offs. I have tried adjusting the clutch cable & pulling it out counter clockwise but it makes no difference. I have also tried the rolling the atc method on 1st gear with the clutch handle pressed while moving but the bike stays in gear. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!http://www.3wheelerworld.com/images/.../wondering.gif

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Your clutch is not fully "disengaging".

How long has it done this?

How long has it sat since you last rode it?

Does it do the same thing after it is warmed up?

Does it disengage properly once you are underway and shifting gears?

Once you are moving and you pull the clutch in while still in gear then come to a stop, what happens?

How far does your clutch lever move before the freeplay is gone and it begins to feel stiffer like it is starting to disengage the clutch?

Have you ever considered selling yours and getting a TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe?

--
    Barnett468,
    The atc has not been ridden in bout 2 years. after having the atc on for about 10-15 min the clutch does not engage. I have not been able to get the atc past 1st gear since it turns off. For the clutch cable free play I have had it at 1" to 1/2" all the way to the top & it doesn't make a difference. Do you thing I need to remove the clutch plates & bathe them in oil for some time?

--
    Your clutch pack is sticking. Take it apart, clean and inspect. You may need new plates.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Yaegerb,
    Thank for the advise, I will do that. Do you have any recommendations on places where I can buy the standard clutch plates for an 82 Honda 250R?
    I know you ebay but the descriptions when ordering are not always clear? Thx again!

--
    Also check the basket for groves were the fiber plates touch the basket , might be worn to the point were it can’t release the plates .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    If it has sat for a while try riding it...have someone push ya to get rolling so you dont stall it when you shift to 1st...ride around with the clutch pulled for a while see if it frees up.
    I have to do this every time i ride my montesa trials motorcycle...notorious for sticky clutches! Even with a brand new clutch in it!
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X
    and a bunch of 2 wheelers

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ok so you are saying that the clutch will not disengage when it is cold but it will not engage when it is hot?

This will be far easier if you simply answer all the questions i asked one at a time. As red rider mentioned, if your clutch us not disengaging, the plates may simply be stuck together. If this is the case, it is not always necessary to disassemble the clutch to get them to disengage properly do I would try the method he suggested first unless you planned to take the clutch apart anyway. Also, if the clutch worked properly the last time you rode it, the basket is not worn to the point that it is preventing the plates from disengaging, however, wear on the inner and outer hubs certainly should be checked if you do take the clutch apart.

--
    thanks to all. I will put your recommendations to good use. Sure missed you guys! Thx again!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm626 View Post
    Yaegerb,
    Thank for the advise, I will do that. Do you have any recommendations on places where I can buy the standard clutch plates for an 82 Honda 250R?
    I know you ebay but the descriptions when ordering are not always clear? Thx again!
    Vesrah still makes fibers and steels for the 82 250r
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm626 View Post
    Yaegerb,
    Do you have any recommendations on places where I can buy the standard clutch plates for an 82 Honda 250R?
    Here's 7 original fiber plates and there are a few sellers selling single ones. The orig steel plates are still available from honda

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Gen...UAAOSwns1a6yA3

--
    All good advice, but I’ll add this up if you want to try and brake the plates free one last time before you open up the cover.

Raise the rear wheels securely, start the trike and try to get it into second gear with the rear wheels in the air. Rev it up a little and then with clutch lever pulled in, or DISENGAGED, tap on the rear brakes and you might get lucky.

If that doesn’t free up the clutch you need to take it apart and post a lot of close up photos of the basket, hub any rods, or mechanisms in the assembly.

When you assemble the clutch later you can wet the plates with motor oil, or transmission fluid to prevent them from sticking together.
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanytoys View Post
    If it has sat for a while try riding it...have someone push ya to get rolling so you dont stall it when you shift to 1st...ride around with the clutch pulled for a while see if it frees up.
    I have to do this every time i ride my montesa trials motorcycle...notorious for sticky clutches! Even with a brand new clutch in it!
    This is exactly what you do. No need for disassembly unless you have done this first. It will free up, they always do.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thank you all, I will work on the atc rhis weekend & advise the result & what worked best.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //