//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removing material with a flex hone?

--

Removing material with a flex hone?

I picked up a 200X cylinder from a local guy. It was a fresh over bore 65.5mm

Measured 2.5762-2.5765

Ordered a new Wiseco and the piston skirt measures 2.576-2.5761 at it largest point.

Well FACK!!!!!

I just ordered a new a flex hone of appropriate size. I'm hoping to be able to get .002 or so worth of material out of there for proper clearance. Is this possible without screwing it up?

THIS is what you get when you DON'T have a shop fit the piston to the bore at the same time. *sigh*
    It's always SOMETHING!!!!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Removing material with a flex hone?

To the best of my knowledge the hone should work fine. Obviously don't loiter in any particular spots with it.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I tried it with the 3 stone spring loaded one I have but it's a 220 grit stone and the stones are pretty old. It didn't do much. The flex hone I ordered is 180 grit.

Fingers crossed.

I'm really getting sick of these retroactive solutions to engine building. One of these days I hope to assemble one without any words that would embarrass a sailor.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'm hoping to be able to get .002 or so worth of material out of there for proper clearance.
    And I'm hoping to find a winning lotto ticket.

I just ordered a new a flex hone of appropriate size.
    I sure hope it is a us made one with 2 arms attached.

Is this possible without screwing it up?
    Highly unlikely....well actually, let's just make that a no, but on the positive side, you can just get the next size over piston if (once) you screw it up and send it out with the cylinder this time and get it bored.

THIS is what you get when you DON'T have a shop fit the piston to the bore at the same time. *sigh*
    This is sometimes correct.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    It's not a "no" in my book barns, and not even unlikely. It's been done before and will be done again. Is it optimum? That's a definite no. Will it work? Most likely yes, and it would likely be fine for the long run.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well, the flex hone i ordered will be here tomorrow.

If you see a brand new 65.5mm 10.25:1 Wiseco piston for sale in the classifieds ya'll will know it didn't work. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Yes, fabio, of course it certainly "can" be done, however, it is not possible to remove .002" with a budget hand hone and have it be perfectly true. That will simply never, ever, happen, especially if it is the single arm type of hone. Obviously it does not need to be perfectly true to simply run, but I don't see the logic of running a "substandard", untrue cylinder after going thru all the time and expense etc to r and r the cyl and piston then buy a new piston and gaskets and get the cylinder bored etc.

Also, it will take a fair amount of time to remove that much material with a hand hone because it does not apply a lot of pressure to the cylinder walls. I removed just around .0002" from my both of my YZ465 cylinders 3 days ago with a hand hone and it took a while.

--
    Well, the flex hone i ordered will be here tomorrow.

If you see a brand new 65.5mm 10.25:1 Wiseco piston for sale in the classifieds ya'll will know it didn't work. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    If there is no place near you that can hone it to the proper size using the proper machine, why don't you simply box it up and mail it to a place that can. I can give you the contact info for a few of them.

Below is a video of one of the 3 main types of professional hones that can hone it out .002" and still keep the bore true. Some of these machines can also true and untrue bore, which is something a hand held hone can not do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuzBQlYFgXo

--

If you repair something properly the first time, you won't have to repair it again any time soon.

--
    I don't think he's planning on running the Indy 500 with it or anything.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Perhaps the Baja 500 then?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post

Perhaps the Baja 500 then?

Only thing my azz is running is the Bierdose 12.

--
    I picked up a 200X cylinder from a local guy. It was a fresh over bore 65.5mm

Measured 2.5762-2.5765

Ordered a new Wiseco and the piston skirt measures 2.576-2.5761 at it largest point.

Well FACK!!!!!

I just ordered a new a flex hone of appropriate size. I'm hoping to be able to get .002 or so worth of material out of there for proper clearance. Is this possible without screwing it up?

So what tools at you using to measure your piston and bore to 4th decimal place?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Only thing my azz is running is the Bierdose 12.
    It looks like that is either German for Beer Can or a seriously painful rectal malfunction.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    What kind of tool do you think he is ?............he`s got skills !!
    Maybe a David Lee Roth signature series tape measure?
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //