//ArrowChat Code

Thread: A cam that has play/slides back and forth?

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

A cam that has play/slides back and forth?

Was tearing into the top end to take my cam out and after I got the CDI and Advance off the cam shaft I could pull it towards me with the sprocket and chain still on, is this normal?

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Yes that's normal from what I've seen. Nothing keeping it tight in there.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Yes that's normal from what I've seen. Nothing keeping it tight in there.
    I thought it was, but wanted to be sure because honestly it doesn't really feel right haha.

I think last time I took a cam out on one of those 200 engines I had the same feeling but just didn't bother looking into it

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaATC View Post
    I thought it was, but wanted to be sure because honestly it doesn't really feel right haha.

I think last time I took a cam out on one of those 200 engines I had the same feeling but just didn't bother looking into it
    Side to side play should be fine. Once it's all assembled it shouldn't move much. Vertical play in the cam is usually the issue with these engines, having plain aluminum bearings cast into the head. No easy fix once they're worn.

I am boring the left cam journal in my 200M head out to install a bronze bushing. Also using a ball bearing in the advancer housing. Had 0.01" play between cam journal and head journal. Cam had actually worn more than the head journal....go figure. Anyway I have a thread here on 3WW where I've been documenting the process. Also if you search on thumpertalk you'll find a thread on a guy who did the ball bearing in the advancer housing.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Side to side play should be fine. Once it's all assembled it shouldn't move much. Vertical play in the cam is usually the issue with these engines, having plain aluminum bearings cast into the head. No easy fix once they're worn.

I am boring the left cam journal in my 200M head out to install a bronze bushing. Also using a ball bearing in the advancer housing. Had 0.01" play between cam journal and head journal. Cam had actually worn more than the head journal....go figure. Anyway I have a thread here on 3WW where I've been documenting the process. Also if you search on thumpertalk you'll find a thread on a guy who did the ball bearing in the advancer housing.
    I meant side to side yes, thanks for the help!

--
    Hang on guys, don't confuse each other.

Thrust play (or in and out), perpendicular to the camshaft is probably just fine, depends on the model.

There shouldn't be any up and down play nor have any side to side parallel play....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Hang on guys, don't confuse each other.

Thrust play (or in and out), perpendicular to the camshaft is probably just fine, depends on the model.

There shouldn't be any up and down play nor have any side to side parallel play....
    we both mean in and out play lol

--
    Now you sound like Glamy.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    All you guys need to stop playin with your shafts.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

...cuz you might go blind.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //