//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 ATC 350X Driving me crazy.

--

85 ATC 350X Driving me crazy.

I seem to have the same problem as many others. My 3Wheeler won't start. The oddest part about it is; after what seems like 300 kicks, all of a sudden it starts! When it is running is seems to run great. Very powerful, will settle down into a nice idle, good throttle response all good right? Shut it off, come back another day, NO START! After what seems like 500 kicks nothing. I have actually gotten it to start only 3 or 4 times. Replaced the carburetor, adjusted the de-compressor, the readings all seem within acceptable range, (coil, ECM etc.). The spark does seem to be a little weak, but there is spark. YIKES. Any thoughts. Thank you for any insight. Spring is coming and I want to ride it.

--
    Tap on the CDI box with the handle of a screwdriver or a small . Then try to start. Also make sure your on/off contacts are good/clean in the switch housing.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Exactly, it's probably a no spark or very weak spark. You can have a 'visually good' spark that's still weak. Sparking in open atmosphere is NOTHING like sparking under compression.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Exactly, it's probably a no spark or very weak spark. You can have a 'visually good' spark that's still weak. Sparking in open atmosphere is NOTHING like sparking under compression.
    Just last week I had an engine that had weak spark and wouldn't run. You could see the spark, and it shocked my friend, but it was not enough for the machine to run.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Replace the easy stuff. New CDI, plug, etc. I’ve had bikes in the past that had valve problems and wouldn’t start. Might check the valve gap being sure you’re TDC on the compression stroke. If the valves aren’t right it could possibly run but be a booger bear to crank.

--
    Had same issue before you replaced carb? Im guessing but gotta ask...
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X
    and a bunch of 2 wheelers

--
    I had a issue similar to this but all it needed was a new spark plug.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    I'd second the valve check. It's free and sure won't hurt anything.

--

Thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    I had a issue similar to this but all it needed was a new spark plug.
    Thnx to all who responded. I will try your suggestions. Wish me luck. Can't wait to ride this beast.

--
    The 350x has a definite starting sequence. Once you learn it they are a lot easier to start. Make sure you are just past the compression stroke top dead center and give it a good kick.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //