//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stripped oil plug 350x options?

--
    Well I used the 13mm repair kit. Seemed to work. Plug seated and isn’t leaking. Tapped it and ran a quart of oil through it just cause. Thanks for everyone who chimed in. Hopefully this doesn’t leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Well I used the 13mm repair kit. Seemed to work. Plug seated and isn’t leaking. Tapped it and ran a quart of oil through it just cause. Thanks for everyone who chimed in. Hopefully this doesn’t leak.
    If you use a plastic/nylon or fiber washer you will not have to tighten it as much to make it seal which reduces the chance of the threads stripping or wearing out prematurely etc.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Thanks Bob. I’m just nervous about loose drill shavings in my oil pan. I found a 13mm Tap and plug kit. With this setup the tap is tapered so you don’t have to drill. Less shavings. I’m gonna attempt it today. I’ll post my results . If for some reason I screw it up I’ll be going to a 14 and trying it again. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I wouldn’t worry about a few aluminum chips in the cases. Steel yes, but most of the moving parts in your engine are stronger than aluminum. Whatever few bits that remain after pouring a quart of oil through it to flush the cases should end up in your oil filter eventually.

Might want to drill the new bolt for safety wire to be safe. I’m a huge fan of wiring parts like oil plugs and coolant drains once the threads get iffy.
    It sucks to get old

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    El Camexican, what would you attach the safety wire to? Or do I have the wrong idea haha

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRidr View Post
    El Camexican, what would you attach the safety wire to? Or do I have the wrong idea haha
    I’m not sure where you’re going with this, but if you want to keep your ‘wire’ safe there’s a whole array of products you can use.

I’m no expert with this stuff, but the best way I can describe the process is to gently snug up the bolt, or object that you want to wire and determine where it will probably be when you finish tightening it fully and what it is that you want to anchor it to.

Mark that corner of the bolt with a sharpie, drill a 1/16” hole across the head, deburr the hole edges and install it.

Run a strand of safety wire through the hole and wind it (if you want) and wire it to the anchor spot. Don’t make it tight, just enough that it can’t make a full turn of it comes loose (preferably less).

Not my finest work, but in this photo I wired the plug to the oil filter and killed two birds with one stone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C7AC685A-46F0-4B77-BCA4-F3179022A666.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	257886

On this one I have a safety pin on one end so I don’t have to keep rewireing it every time I remove the cap. The wire should be on the other side of the cap (shame on me) but the cap was drilled on the wrong side by the first owner and I mistakenly threw a $40 billet cap into a dumpster that had 2” of goo on the floor, while unpacking my mail, so that’s all I have to say about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B7CC67B-5CE7-4833-9CBC-68243E6A55E7.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	257887

I think the plug on my Tri-Z is wired to the frame.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I know you've already done the repair but for the future or for others to try. Hook up compressed air to your crankcase breather when your drilling and taping. That way it should just blow everything out the plug hole as you go. I saw a guy do this adding an EGT sensor to his turbo diesel exhaust. He started the truck, drilled, taped and all the chips blew right in his face it worked great. No metal shaving in his turbo.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    This stuff is awesome if your plug weeps a lil oil.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lickkey=210114
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X
    and a bunch of 2 wheelers

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //