//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stripped oil plug 350x options?

--

Stripped oil plug 350x options?

So I went to change my oil today and my threads came off with the plug. I thought I was more careful than that. Removed always with a 3/8 ratchet and replaced with an Allen wrench. Anyways I知 an idiot and ruined my case now.

For now I went to the auto parts store and bought a new plug slightly longer than the old one. Grabs a few threads at the top it seems. Hopefully it won稚 leak. I知 quite sure this is only temporary. Or knowing my luck it will drip.

So fellas what should I do? Drill and tap it in place? I壇 really not like to crack my cases. Heli coil? I致e never done on before. Still have to drill and tap. Any tricks to catching and removing all the metal shavings ?

Thanks.
    Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Even with the drilling and tapping new threads method, there is no guarantee that it wont still leak, as the new hole and threads need to be completely square to the sealing surface for it to make a proper seal. I don't see any other way to get the proper accuracy, without the cases being split, and properly aligned in a drill press. Surely others have encountered this very obstacle, so I'm sure you'll get a bunch of advice.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--

So apparently with this your just retap by hand ? From a 12 to a 13mm ,
    My thought is to remove my skid plate and stand the bike straight up , pull my temporary plug , use this with grease on the tap to catch most of the shavings cleaning every few threads then once I知 done drop the bike and let what oils is in there , 2 fresh quarts , drain out hopefully getting any shavings in there.

--
    I do at least one drain plug repair a week threw my shop , the 13mm plug repair kits work great .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    I do at least one drain plug repair a week threw my shop , the 13mm plug repair kits work great .
    Shortline so am I on the correct idea with the oil and catching the debris?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Even with the drilling and tapping new threads method, there is no guarantee that it wont still leak, as the new hole and threads need to be completely square to the sealing surface for it to make a proper seal. I don't see any other way to get the proper accuracy, without the cases being split, and properly aligned in a drill press. Surely others have encountered this very obstacle, so I'm sure you'll get a bunch of advice.
    please no.

--
    Most of the time when I’m doing this type of repair I’m in the process of draining the oil in the machine , I’ll make about five turns inserting the tap and then pull the tap back out , clean it off and finish cutting the new threads . That last little bit of oil draining out seems to keep the debris from going into the motor .
    Little messy but does the job .

I also use a new OEM crush washer , the ones that come in the kits are to small and will leak .
    The new drain bolt is 13mm so the oem crush washer needs to be opened up a little so I use a rat tail file for that .

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Shortline so am I on the correct idea with the oil and catching the debris?

78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Most of the time when I知 doing this type of repair I知 in the process of draining the oil in the machine , I値l make about five turns inserting the tap and then pull the tap back out , clean it off and finish cutting the new threads . That last little bit of oil draining out seems to keep the debris from going into the motor .
    Little messy but does the job .

I also use a new OEM crush washer , the ones that come in the kits are to small and will leak .
    The new drain bolt is 13mm so the oem crush washer needs to be opened up a little so I use a rat tail file for that .
    Alright. Thanks for the info. I think I値l combine that info with my idea since I壇 like to make sure I知 square and straight. Being a lowly garage mechanic i don稚 have a lift. If I screw it up I guess I知 cracking cases and getting a big bore kit. Sorry wallet.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Fill the flutes of the drill bit and the tap with grease, that will help catch the chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    Fill the flutes of the drill bit and the tap with grease, that will help catch the chips.
    Thanks scooter will do. I saw that in a few videos. Figure between that and letting the oil run over it I知 gonna hope real hard.

--
    You'll be fine, if in doubt, after tapping dump some oil through the engine to flush it out while the plugs out. When I was doing a lot of backwoods trail riding i had a expandable rubber plug in my tool kit just incase something like this came up. Hillbilly, but it worked in a pinch!

--
    The easiest way to solve this is just send me the 350x. Win, win!
    Someday I will find one

--
    Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post
    The easiest way to solve this is just send me the 350x. Win, win!
    Someday I will find one
    Lol. Move to California there痴 probably 3 to 5 on Craigslist right now. Saw a nice runner for under 2k the other day.

--
    Shawn, the same thing happened to me on one of my x's. I just went down to the auto parts store and found the next size up drain plug and tap. Re-drilled it to the appropriate size and re tapped it. Filled it back up with oil (twice) and let it drain out. Just don't go to big with the new plug. There is not a lot of material around the threads in that area of the case, so if you go to big your screwed. If it seeps on you wrap the plug with a little Teflon tape to get it to seal.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Shawn, the same thing happened to me on one of my x's. I just went down to the auto parts store and found the next size up drain plug and tap. Re-drilled it to the appropriate size and re tapped it. Filled it back up with oil (twice) and let it drain out. Just don't go to big with the new plug. There is not a lot of material around the threads in that area of the case, so if you go to big your screwed. If it seeps on you wrap the plug with a little Teflon tape to get it to seal.
    Thanks Bob. I知 just nervous about loose drill shavings in my oil pan. I found a 13mm Tap and plug kit. With this setup the tap is tapered so you don稚 have to drill. Less shavings. I知 gonna attempt it today. I値l post my results . If for some reason I screw it up I値l be going to a 14 and trying it again. Thanks again.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //