//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member with an old ATC200

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanix View Post
    I handnt thought about the valves, I will give them a once over.

I will have to see what I find before I can convince myself its not worth saving.
    Welcome and good luck with your new trikes. I wouldn’t mind a 125, at all.

--
    I checked the valves, intake was good, tightened up the exhaust a bit.
    I also confirmed the fuel is flowing good to the carburetor. checked the plug/spark which seems to be fine.
    I did slap a cheap air filter on it, which made almost no improvement.
    I got another carburetor on the way, hopefully, China will pull through on this one.

If anyone is wondering. the tires on the back are 16x6.5x8 If i get this thing running and driving again, I will be sure to put the correct size tire on there.

--
    New Carburetor didnt help much. I got it to idle without choking it, but any gas would make it stall. no adjustments would help. I ordered an oem airbox for it, which, based on research, is why its too lean.

--
    Good.
    Any attempt at getting the carb jetted and adjusted right without the factory airbox is difficult at best...doable but hardly worth the effort.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I got the airbox today and messed around with it some more. No change in symptoms. I got it to idle fine (maybe a bit slow) but once I give it ANY throttle it will stutter and die. I checked for intake leaks by spraying starter fluid around the joints, and heard no change in the engine noise.
    If I choke it just right, I am able to rev it, however it will smoke from the exhaust when revved up. I would like to believe that the rings are good because I tested it at ~150psi of compression, which I believe is right below the minimum spec by the manual, but would it cause these issues?

EDIT:
    I finally dug a little deeper, since I had a carburetor that wasnt on the trike, I went ahead and ripped it apart, Slow jet is marked 32 , Main Jet marked 78. Both of these are smaller than what the service manual says, But they are also not in an OEM carburetor, so there could be some difference there.
    Last edited by Lanix; 04-01-2019 at 11:47 PM.

--
    Alright, Im getting back on topic here.

I got it mostly disassembled which only took a couple of hours, all i had to do was stop buying more trikes....
    Rear axle and front axle are still together for now. But the frame and Tree are pretty much ready to be blasted and coated except for maybe a quick wash.

On a side note. I got the 'right' size jets for the 125m and it still didnt seem to make any improvement. But when I put the actual gas tank on, and not the hanging bottle, I could finally get it to rev up like it should. Somehow I guess that bottle was not flowing good enough, Still not quite right though. Ill probably end up parting it out like ATC King suggested, still not sure though.

--
    The frame and tree are at the powdercoaters.
    The front and rear axles are now disassembled...what a pain that was.
    I will post pictures of the disassembly later.

I was going to start to order parts, and was curious what you guys thought of the water-grooved brake shoes (Hi-Caliber brand) vs. another non-grooved brake shoe. Do the grooves help, does this affect braking performance during dry use?

--
    You have your work cut out for you on this one. Good luck!

--
    If you replace the carburetor on the 200 let me know what works best for you! I bought one kei-hin carburetor off amazon for around $30 that worked awesome except for inside the carb where the throttle slide goes, was missing the little guide pin that comes with the factory carburetor. This caused the throttle to become stuck wide open sometimes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    If you replace the carburetor on the 200 let me know what works best for you! I bought one kei-hin carburetor off amazon for around $30 that worked awesome except for inside the carb where the throttle slide goes, was missing the little guide pin that comes with the factory carburetor. This caused the throttle to become stuck wide open sometimes.
    I didn't get a carburetor with this, so when I get that far, I will watch out for that.

--
    Got the frame and tree back from the powdercoater today.
    You know what that means... Pictures!

These are all of the parts that have been cleaned up so far.
    Now with the frame back I can do some reassembly, and figure out what to do next.

I'm going to try the mudlite out on the front, wanted to do something a little different.

I opted to not rebuild the forks right now (although I did polish them), they both feel pretty good and are in decent enough shape, I will get to it later.

The gas tank is killing me, a few rust holes and the poorly applied tank liner someone put in there has got me considering a replacement.

--
    If you need more parts, shoot me a PM. I have two, 84 and a 85 for parts. Both engines claimed to run when I got them, but both has the shifter ratchet problem where the boss is broken off the center case half. I was going to assemble for my younger sister, but she's too old and doesn't have as much interest in atvs any more. Some parts I'm keeping for possible reproduction, but one was painted for hunting and is in ok shape, the other is in pretty good shape.

I also have an 81 or 82 ATC185S, but it's missing a ton of stuff, engine didn't run but still have it. I'm guessing it had valve/top end problems, but didn't dig into it very far. No fenders/tank for the 185, would have to dig but I think I have the axle and such for it yet.

Anyway, good luck with your build. Personally I would have probably fixed the 200 and parted out the 125M, but it's hard to judge just how good/bad something is from camera photos. I'd defo suggest checking the shift system on the 125m to be sure it doesn't have problems besides the splines (I should have a good shift shaft).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    If you need more parts, shoot me a PM. I have two, 84 and a 85 for parts. Both engines claimed to run when I got them, but both has the shifter ratchet problem where the boss is broken off the center case half. I was going to assemble for my younger sister, but she's too old and doesn't have as much interest in atvs any more. Some parts I'm keeping for possible reproduction, but one was painted for hunting and is in ok shape, the other is in pretty good shape.

I also have an 81 or 82 ATC185S, but it's missing a ton of stuff, engine didn't run but still have it. I'm guessing it had valve/top end problems, but didn't dig into it very far. No fenders/tank for the 185, would have to dig but I think I have the axle and such for it yet.

Anyway, good luck with your build. Personally I would have probably fixed the 200 and parted out the 125M, but it's hard to judge just how good/bad something is from camera photos. I'd defo suggest checking the shift system on the 125m to be sure it doesn't have problems besides the splines (I should have a good shift shaft).
    I will send a PM.

Also, I may still end up parting out the 125, I did not see anything broken when I had the cover off, although the shift drum stopper was slightly bent, and not where it should have been, but It wasnt broken and i was able to put it back.

--
    Sounds good.

Here's a couple of photos of the common problem with the shifter. The other issue that's common is the tip of the ratchet breaks off, but that's a lot easier to fix/replace. Not my photos, just a quick google result.

--
    Seat pan, i cut out the worst part of the center and put some new metal in there, coated it with POR-15 and new foam+cover finished it off. Still have to put the latch and rubber pieces back on, but it came out good I think, despite my ugly welds and lazy paint job.

And I also did some other stuff, its getting close:

Still waiting on electrical components, and I have a few more pieces to put back on.
    Going to have to put new wheels on the back sometime, at least one, if not both, of the rims are shot, but I'm using them for now to save money

Also a question, has anyone mounted a newer style honda thumb throttle like the one from this ebay listing? If so what cable did you use? I wasnt able to find any solid info on this.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //