//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member with an old ATC200

--

New member with an old ATC200

Just picked this up today...

I used the VIN decode and got "1983 ATC200" so thats what I'm working with.

Theres a good amount of surface rust on the frame, but nothing appears to be rotted through.
    I got 1.5 engines with it: 1 mostly complete (missing recoil starter) and one part of a bottom end from another (original so I was told) engine.
    Gas tank has some rust and inside coating is peeling off, only complete sandblasting will tell if it is useable.
    Both rear fenders in decent shape, the mounting holes on one are torn a bit. the front fender is...yeah.
    Front tire is completely shot, cant even get flat spots out of it. rear tires are still round.

It doesn't look like much, but it will.

--
    It looks like the seat pan is in good condition. That's a biggie. That and a good frame means you've got something to work with. Should be a fun project.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    It looks like the seat pan is in good condition. That's a biggie. That and a good frame means you've got something to work with. Should be a fun project.
    Thanks,
    Seems like someone repaired the seat pan sometime in the past, theres some painted over rust holes on the bottom and theres a piece of metal riveted in place on top. still feels solid though.
    In fact, that leads me into a question: does the foam sit directly on top of that? Or is there another layer between the foam and the metal?

--
    I'm pretty sure that the foam sits directly on top of the pan.

--
    Doh! I missed that patch panel on the seat pan. Still, if some new foam and a cover can directly go on it, you're ahead of the game. May need to use rivets if the seat cover tabs are mostly gone.

The foam goes directly on the pan.

eBay has some foam/cover kits on it for <$100. It's hard to tell if some of them actually fit the ATC200, which has a different seat pan than some of the other ATC200s. I seen one listing that specifically said it was for the ATC200, but it could be incorrect.

I think the ATC200 (no letter afterwards) was the first big tired ATC (25x12x9) and a precursor to the Big Red. The other ATC200s, like the 200ES use a plastic seat pan. You may want some more input on what foam fits or to do some more research. For certain, ATC200S foam and cover won't fit correctly.

--
    Doh! I missed that patch panel on the seat pan. Still, if some new foam and a cover can directly go on it, you're ahead of the game. May need to use rivets if the seat cover tabs are mostly gone.

The foam goes directly on the pan.

eBay has some foam/cover kits on it for <$100. It's hard to tell if some of them actually fit the ATC200, which has a different seat pan than some of the other ATC200s. I seen one listing that specifically said it was for the ATC200, but it could be incorrect.

I think the ATC200 (no letter afterwards) was the first big tired ATC (25x12x9) and a precursor to the Big Red. The other ATC200s, like the 200ES use a plastic seat pan. You may want some more input on what foam fits or to do some more research. For certain, ATC200S foam and cover won't fit correctly.
    Thanks again for the info,

Yea, I was looking at the foam/cover stuff on ebay. This is why I was wondering if there was another piece to the sandwich.

Just took another look at the seat pan, looks like all but 1 of the tabs are still in good shape, and the 1 is just bent over, might be able to just bend it back.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The foam sits right on top of the seat pan. sometimes I use a little spray adhesive to attach the pan to the foam.

--
    I think the ATC200 (no letter afterwards) was the first big tired ATC (25x12x9) and a precursor to the Big Red.

Actually, it was the 1980 ATC185. The ATC200 came out in 1981 and was basically the same machine only with the larger engine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanix View Post
    Front tire is completely shot, cant even get flat spots out of it.
    That's because it is the original.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    That's because it is the original.
    Haha. That would explain it.

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Throw a lifan 200cc in there

--
    I found another one. What have I done now?
    85' 125m...it even runs.
    That being said. it runs on full choke only.
    I attempted fiddling with the carb (which is new) a bit, and was unable to improve it, maybe I didnt fiddle enough?

In addition. it needs a new shift-shaft. the one in there has almost no spline left on it.
    No gas tank (yet), just got the temporary one that came with it

And im afraid to touch the front wheel. looks like it is rusted pretty good.

Unfortunately the seat pan on this one was not as lucky as the other one.

--
    Those New Chinese carbs are a shot in the dark at best. Some say that they've had them run great right from the box. Others say that they can mess with them and get them to run good. Others say that they've had nothing but bad luck with them and throw them away. I'd guess that it's running lean. Jet sizes can vary greatly with these carbs too, no matter what number is on them. That's why I only use OEM carbs. I say "they're not expensive, they're just worth it".

--
    I wouldn't feel bad about parting out that 125M. That's a parts trike for sure.

I wonder how much trouble it was to get those rear tires to seat, considering they look a couple inches too narrow for the wheels.

As far as how it runs, check the valves. Sometimes, running on choke only, is because the valves are too tight (haven't been checked in decades). Any new (to me) machine, gets a thorough going over before any troubleshooting. That means a full service and pretty much flipping it on the back to look underneath. I've found a lot of problems by simply hand washing machines. A thorough hand washing means you're laying hands on just about every part, for an extended amount of time, while not specifically thinking about one problem (tunnel vision).

--
    I wouldn't feel bad about parting out that 125M. That's a parts trike for sure.

I wonder how much trouble it was to get those rear tires to seat, considering they look a couple inches too narrow for the wheels.

As far as how it runs, check the valves. Sometimes, running on choke only, is because the valves are too tight (haven't been checked in decades). Any new (to me) machine, gets a thorough going over before any troubleshooting. That means a full service and pretty much flipping it on the back to look underneath. I've found a lot of problems by simply hand washing machines. A thorough hand washing means you're laying hands on just about every part, for an extended amount of time, while not specifically thinking about one problem (tunnel vision).
    I handnt thought about the valves, I will give them a once over.

I will have to see what I find before I can convince myself its not worth saving.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //