//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New to me yamaha 225

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseMcHorseman View Post
    But there is a relatively cheap klt 200 north west of me on craigslist, if it was a littler closer distance wise to me and I had any space in the carport I’d probably buy it, it’s like 2 hours away I think. If I could find a suzuki ALT185 though i wouldn’t care if it was 4 hours away
    Ironically I have a Suzuki 125 quad, one of the first models, cheap, but you're a bit far away, more than 4hr xD.

--
    I have a 2000 4wd quadrunner, probably never gonna use it though. I used it once last year to pull a tree branch from one part of the yard to another, then drove it 20 feet forward the other day so I could sweep leaves out of the carport. I crave that 185 3 wheeled suzuki goodness, regardless of the bashing they seem to get I need one in my life, I’d probably settle for an alt125 if it was cheap and close but the alt185 is my white whale

--
    What's your riding style on 3 wheelers, sounds like work but you like a light machine with good power? I know Honda models well if you want to give one of them a shot. I've had nearly every model made. When you get 250cc+ you get full suspension and such lol.

Pretty sure the quad 125 engine is the same as the 3 wheeler one. One I have runs, but smokes, so pretty positive it needs rings. The recoil might need to be cleaned out too and lubed up, I think the last time I pulled it, it didn't retract. I'm just looking to get what I paid for it out of it, $100 lol. I haven't listed it, guess I've been too lazy or something, but I could use the extra room to get another 3 wheeler under a roof.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseMcHorseman View Post
    Good tip on the screen I’ll look into doing that to it, same on my big red where it’s missing the tube from the air box to frame, there I can just use screen and large medium hose clamp. I haven’t looked at the air box on the yamaha as I haven’t taken the plastic off, where abouts is the frame opening? I assume some plastics will need to be removed to get to it?
    Last year I had to get a new filter for the BR didn’t have a nest but the filter was super chewed on, for all I know it could have been like that since I got it though, I covered the hole with gorilla tape for the winter to be safe though, but now I’ll use screen like you said since I can just leave it there, great idea thanks
    There should be a hole in the frame up near the handlebars... if you look around where the top part of the frame is welded to the bottom part near where the front end is you should see it. I think on stock trikes , the hose from the gas cap goes into it. it is where the carb gets its air if you take off the seat and rear plastics, you be looking down onto the top of the air box and you will see two thicker rubber hoses, one goes to the carb and the other goes to the frame. you can also screen it right there but the critters will still be able to nest in the frame..lol which may keep your carb from getting enough fresh air to run,. the main thing is though you dont want to suck any debris into the carb its self, those tiny bores in the jest clog up really easy! lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Like with the engine so far back in the Yamaha, it should be a monster for wheelies.
    Yep... the 225 Yammies are wheelie kings... lol I went and put a Yamaha Tri-Z 250 front end on mine and had to lower the front end by pulling the forks up about 2 inches or so past the top clamp of the tree because the front tire was spending more time off the ground than on... Plus, the fact that it has a 25" front tire and 18" rears prolly doesnt help much... lol I spend a lot of time sitting almost on the gas tank..lol

--
    What's your riding style on 3 wheelers,
    Pretty much been backyards so far, i’m hoping to go up to the trails in nh or maine this summer. I think my ideal thing would big a big field or maybe a wide open dirt area, I figure I’d mostly like to cruise around in like third gear at most, no jumps, you know boring “I’m getting older” type stuff. This past winter i had a blast spinning around my street (last house, dead end, perfect for it) before the plows or sanders would drive down with an inch or two of powder on the street.
    https://youtu.be/PnoIReKt5VM

So I really don’t have any specific riding style. I certainly wouldn’t mind getting a smaller machine to mess around with as like a pit bike like a atc 70 90 or 110. But I’d take a 350x too if it was priced right. I’d go for pretty much anything that doesn’t need motor work. I’d definitely like an air cooled two stroke like the yt125 or 175, or first gen 250r. Even if it’s frustrating and takes a while I do like working on stuff, but mostly replacing easier things like carb guts, tires, cleaning switch contacts, replacing relays, bulbs, cables, maybe brakes. Valve spacing if all I need is a feeler gauge, you know basic tool type maintenance.
    Last edited by HorseMcHorseman; 05-23-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Grammar / missed a word

--
    I see, if you see a bit of mud, or want to pull stuff, the 250es and 250sx are great picks, both shaft drive so no chain to deal with and such. Both have plenty of power, my 250sx tops out about 51mph on a dirt road, speed taken from a rincon riding next to me. The 250es is geared the same but bigger tires and heavier machine. They ride like utility machines though, like a pickup truck vs a car. If you're more into a soft ride, ironically an ATC90 with those huge baloon tires ride really well (later model I have experence with, not the $1000 per tire machines), clearly 90cc isn't going to be a rocket, but still scoots along alright. Another soft rider that can put around is a 350x, it can really go to, but it is a sport machine, so manual clutch and such. The 200X probably wouldn't be a bad pick too, but effectively it's the small child of the 350x. The 250r rides well too, but it's 2 stroke and a bit of all or nothing, you can put around on them, but defo not the machine's element.

I didn't think about starting, 250es/sx are electric, atc90 is pull start (small engine so pretty easy, probably easier than most lawn mowers), and the rest are kick start only. The 350x had an aftermarket kit made for it to make it electric start by Goki, there's some minor problems with them, but for the most part seems like most people are happy with them. Company doesn't exist any more, but I make harnesses and such so all parts I have suitable Honda replacements I can mod to make work.

My fav machine is the 350x by a fair distance, then 250sx and 250es. I ride in mud, sand, put around, race around etc, and those machines can do it all, just the 350x isn't ideal for mud (no reverse and being chain drive etc).

Here's a vid of a guy toying around on a 350x, he has some sort of problem with starting yet, not choking it or something, mine starts normally in 2-3 kicks winter time, and almost always 1 kick in warmer weather. It's hard to describe the 350x experience, best I've seen is "it does exactly what you tell it to do". Like it can pull the front wheel up in 4th gear, 5th it can hop it a little popping the clutch, nothing in 6th though.

Btw all the machines above are full suspended models front and rear except the atc90 where the tires are the suspension.

https://youtu.be/LY3YcSCbOCY?t=121

Here's a small example of the atc90, you can kind of see the softer ride (older style tires), when the quad comes down you can see the guy get a shock, the other guy looks about like he's just setting it down and he's way heavier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVADhEmbG0

Here's a fairly good overview of the style I had, mine was a 76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5LqYoInj6Y

Hopefully you find that info useful, maybe one of your next machines =). Careful though, it's easy to catch the 3 wheeler bug.

EDIT:

Just saw your edit lol. The 81-84 250r air coolers aren't bad, I'm just not much of a 2 stroke person. If you want to make a trip to Michigan, I have two I'd sell lol. One has a broken frame, but good running engine, other has good frame, but a bit of a weak engine. Should be super easy to get one good machine, and weld up the frame and have a beater.

--
    Careful though, it's easy to catch the 3 wheeler bug.
    I caught it last year when I got my second Honda atc (an 84 200m) not much wrong with it, freed up some cables, threw on a spare lever from a long gone trx200 that I had in my drawer of tricks, and it was good to go (that’s the one in the snow video). I ended up trading it for the yamaha though. The bug hadn’t infected me a couple years ago when I originally got the 87 250es since I never really rode it because of the throttle issue. Since it’s fixed I don’t know if I like the br or the 225 more, time will tell I guess, or maybe I’ll pick up another new to me 3 wheeled fun oozing off road vehicle and be obsessed with that haha

Edit- that’s tempting, but I should probably wait until I’ve had my license for more than 19 hours, and I have my own truck so I don’t have to take the wife’s f150 (yuck). Lookin for a heavy chevy.
    Last edited by HorseMcHorseman; 05-23-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Editing instead of another post or editing my other edit. A-hem.... edit.

--
    Well you could just have one of all models, no need to worry then =).

The big reds are defo a easier going type of riding machine, you can push them, but not exactly fast/thrilling. I suspect the 225 is more along those lines though even though it's smaller. The SX is like 100lbs lighter (like 250lbs vs 350lbs), so it's quite a lot more peppier even though it's the same engine.

There was something on the TRX200 that's a perfect match for the ATC200ES, can't remember what it was though. Maybe I'm just thinking to use the rear suspension setup on a 200es or something, not fully sure. Both machines effectively have the same engine, and yea, that's like all your engine parts you'll ever need lol.

The 250 big red might not take off fast, but it does have quite good torque. It's kind of like a 450 foreman vs a 680 rincon, the rincon is fast, but they do about the same amount of work. The 250 big red engine runs similar to the 450 foreman, rincon is sort of like the 350x, but dry sump and has a normal 3 speed automatic trans like a car.

--
    I think; but I could be mistaken- that there’s a bunch of interchangeable parts between the 84 trx and 200es, both single year models. I know they have the same style hand lever for high low reverse. Not entirely sure but I think the whole motor is the same, maybe it’s just very similar. I dunno.
    I smoked the ever loving heck out of that thing pulling a heavy 6x12 trailer with the 87 big red and a mojave on it. It was in low range too. Never smoked before I moved that trailer, never ran after it. Sold it for parts got less than the tires and battery were worth. No big deal though it made space for my first 3 wheeler so I have no regrets

--
    Ahh I see. Sounds like it might have broken a ring on the piston. If you caught it soon enough, it's a simple job, pop the cylinder off, hone (resurface) and new rings. I doubt it was the clutch, but possible if it was just enough weight to make the clutch slip from wear. It would have probably smelt like a burnt clutch though, the rings would be the smell of burnt oil. I'm pretty sure the engines are the same, if not, they are so close you'd be looking for the differences instead of similarities. Besides the engines, not a whole lot is probably a direct interchange. CDI should be the same though and ignition Coil. It has the larger sized ignition switch, I make replacements for them from Modded Honda switches.

I guess I make a part for nearly every machine from like 87 and older lol. I'm slowly working to the 1990 goal.

Just recently I've been thinking about getting into rewinding stators, doing my research, they work basically exactly as I expected and it seems simple enough to do, just time like everything else. I'll probably make a post about that and see if anyone has insight on a question I have with that.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //