//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 2x 250r(s) going back in service

--

2x 250r(s) going back in service

Guys: Greetings.

New poster. We have 2 250r(s) coming from California.

1981 - 300R - beater
    1983 - 250R - minty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250r.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	257971

These bikes seem to be in decent shape. But haven't been ridden in years.

We plan on riding this spring and summer.

We will do the usual maintenance called out by the official Honda service manual.

Oil changes, chassis / parts lube, new gas and gas strainer clean, etc.

The main issue we are running into: Maintenance parts availability and service expertise/experience.

1. brake reservoir diaphragm for front on both 81/83? We can't find this part. How tough are the existing diaphragms. Do they tear on opening the reservoir? Should we just replace the existing reservoir with a new part? Which brake reservoir are you guys using?
    2. chain 520/84 for both trikes - what is the best option? [ after some research the best options are: for the 83 - rocky mountain sells an x-ring kit 520/84 chain with 13 front and 44 rear; ebay has plenty of JT 13s and no-name 44s that puport to fit 200x and 1981 250r ]
    3. sprockets: [see above]
    4. suspension servicing / rebuilding? Any shops you recommend for this?
    5. Bottom / top servicing / rebuilding? Shops you recommend?
    6. Save us what you've learned the hard way putting these old trikes back in service?

Thx,

Hipturn.

[edited: added pictures to increase liklihood of response; edited chain request ]

Name:	IMG_7414.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	257982

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	257983
    Last edited by hipturn; 04-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.

--
    Welcome!!

This is an excellent source of 3 wheeler sprockets.
    Very, very fast and they are make to order any size (# of teeth) you need.
    http://www.pbisprockets.com/

--
    I can help you with your engine builds, PM if interested. For suspension work try the following company

https://schmidtperformance.webs.com/suspension-services
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Yaeberb:

Thanks for the schmidt performance rec.

The '83 is in excellent shape. The only issue so far is the rear brakes. Rear brake caliper was frozen. We are nearly finished with that rebuild. Also, rebuilding rear master cylinder.

The '81 300r is a brute. Some previous owner installed a HUGE mikuni carb.

And took some plasticized material and spread it all over the boot - i suspect to seal some cracks. Oh, and got rid of the air box. LOL.

So, the 300r is a beater and needs some TLC. Will PM you. thanks.

--
    Thank you for the kind welcome and the reference.

I think i found a sprocket for the '81 at PBI, but the website is a bit confusing.

When I order I will definitely contact them.

Thanks again!

hipturn

--
    I ordered from PBI the site is confusing at first.Contact Mossbarger and order an aluminum intake with a 2 bolt intake boot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	258219
    250r rules

--
    so the rear brakes were a mess. the piston rusted and froze in the master cylinder. we drilled it out and rebuilt it. similarly the rear brake caliper was frozen. and we rebuilt that too. only to discover the rear brake linens were clogged. we blew them out only to discover we had blown the master cylinder gasket by applying pressure to the clogged lines.

gees. live and learn. rebuild the master again and will see if we can get brakes finally.

--
    So to close this out. Success. After rebuilding the brakes on the 83 250r we took the trikes out.

The '83 is so mint it still has the chalk marks on the tires. Well we broke it in with some Georgia red clay. Which BTW is impossible to completely clean. No matter.

Impressions. The '81 300R is a brutal ride compared to the '83. Even though they have the same bottom end and the '81 300r should be faster, the '83 beats it in a straight line and, frankly everywhere else.

The 1983 is such a great year - near perfection in our opinion. While 1981 is more akin to an 1970s CR. Raw and overpowered for the frame and suspension.

Well, we are going to have a blast this summer. Thanks for everyone that helped us get these trikes back in service.

hipturn.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //