//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 185s facelift :]

--

185s facelift :]

Today we began work on the 185 thats been in pieces since we brought it home. I decided to pull the motor out of the 200s carcass i had and clean her up before i stick it in my question to all of the pros out there is whats the best method to clean all the gunk out of the cooling fins? so far ive been using brake cleaner on a rag and moving it around with a screw driver. Im not trying to go super anal on this just want it to look decent more pics to come.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190404_185742.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	258066
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190404_185752.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	957.0 KB 
ID:	258067

--
    Thats what ive done in the past and then took a paintbrush and some alumabrite to make it shine like new again
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Mineral spirits and a hard bristled tooth brush.
    Brake clean doesn’t remove grease all that well imo .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    If you have access to a pressure/power washer use phosphoric acid carefully. Good brand is home depots zep calcium, lime rust remover. Spray..let sit for a minute...spray off....repeat.

Keep in mind I use phosphoric acid to clean cad plated fasteners by flash dipping them for like a second or 2.....then rinsing. If it sits on your fasteners too long it will remove the entire plating. Short of vapor blasting parts ($$$) this is the best home done method I've found.

Good luck.

Edit......I just found these pictures of my old 90...before and after.

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-05-10-22-05.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	258112 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-05-10-19-54.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	258113
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 04-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.

--
    Thanks for the input guys Unfortunetly ive had to put this project up for a little while i work on other peoples vehicle's.... Sigh

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Wbeverly07 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys Unfortunetly ive had to put this project up for a little while i work on other peoples vehicle's.... Sigh
    I hear ya!

I have three machines that belong to other people sitting here. I've already started telling people that I'm taking no more projects, I need to get some of my own stuff done.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Exactly scooter its like finally i have a few min to work on what i want then the phone starts ringing off the hook jesus lol

--
    Neat little unknown trick for that pesky phone.....if you just let it ring long enough....eventually it will stop.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    simple green and pressure washer works great. And wire wheel on the end of a dremel works really well.

--
    Hit a little snag yesterday got the motor in no spark :[

So i pulled coil off primary and secondary numbers look great. So next i figured ok its gotta be ground so i wire brushed it really where the coil mounts to the frame [its the old style coil with no separate ground wire]
    Finally worked great motor started right up idled strong did everything it should. So i shut it off and again no spark :[
    So i pulled everything back apart started checking all wireing harness connections [ no cracked wires or anything] put it all back together. Spark was strong started right up ran great shut it off and started it back up several times without any issues.
    Came back out to check it again this morning no spark :[
    Pulled it all back apart cleaned the ground again put it all back together still no spark. I pulled it over 3 more times just for the hell of it and it just started sparking out of nowhere. Started it up ran great shut it off again no spark.

I havent checked the spark advance yet but my guts telling me its gotta be somthing with a grounding problem. If anyone has any thoughts id love to hear them im getting sick of pulling this apart over and over

Edit: looked at spark advance yesterday it was way off [i could have stuck a quarter confortably in between it] put it back within specs sure enough started right up running strong ever since! More pics to come
    Last edited by Wbeverly07; 04-14-2019 at 09:24 AM.

--

Name:	20190417_194840.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	258208

And just like that the plot thickens...
    Cant decide whether i should take the time and weld it up or junk the rim and start over

--
    ....just put a tube in it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I agree the tire was on there was filled with spray foam so looks like im gonna end up with a new tire and tube. The only reason i mentioned welding is rim is rusted thru in a few spots

--
    If it's rusted all the way through, then it would be a good idea to weld the holes closed. It may be time to start thinking about some aftermarket rims too. The last was only a suggestion.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    If it's rusted all the way through, then it would be a good idea to weld the holes closed. It may be time to start thinking about some aftermarket rims too. The last was only a suggestion.
    The pitting in the rim was severe but it was just a couple pin holes i plugged up i put a tube in it should be ready to ride tomarrow this 185 is just to get thru the summer while i redo the original motor itll end up with nice rims in the end im hoping though lol

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //