//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 250es trying to remove the manual clutch..

--

85 250es trying to remove the manual clutch..

Hi all!,

I am trying to remove the manual clutch on my 85 Big Red 250es. I successfully removed the centrifugal clutch using a 20v cordless impact driver. However I am unable to get the nut off of the manual clutch. According to the service manual, the centrifugal clutch had left hand threads. I am assuming the manual clutch is standard right hand threads as the manual makes no mention of this; is this correct? If so my cordless 20v impact drill many not have enough power. I am thinking I may need to use a air impact? the manual mentions a clutch center holder tool, but my searching as not turned up one on amazon or ebay.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!!

-Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manual Clutch.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	258114  
    Last edited by Jwilloug; 04-05-2019 at 05:11 PM.

--
    Correct. Regular threads, you need a good air impact.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    This may not be the "best" solution, but it's what I use. I bought a universal clutch holding tool so many years ago that I can't remember what brand it is. It may be Motion Pro, but I won't sweat to that. It kind of looks like a pair of Vise Grips on the handle end, but instead of a gripping end, it has two large "teeth" that will hold on to the teeth of the gear behind the clutch pack. If it's like the few that I've worked on, the nut id "pinged" a little bit in one spot to hold it in place. This is why you usually need a clutch holder and you need to "ping" it again after you reinstall it.

--

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Correct. Regular threads, you need a good air impact.
    New air impact arrived Amazon Prime over night (no extra shipping), and on a Sunday even! It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it, and about 3 seconds (after jamming a piece of leather belt between gears), to get it off! THANKS AGAIN!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    This may not be the "best" solution, but it's what I use. I bought a universal clutch holding tool so many years ago that I can't remember what brand it is. It may be Motion Pro, but I won't sweat to that. It kind of looks like a pair of Vise Grips on the handle end, but instead of a gripping end, it has two large "teeth" that will hold on to the teeth of the gear behind the clutch pack. If it's like the few that I've worked on, the nut id "pinged" a little bit in one spot to hold it in place. This is why you usually need a clutch holder and you need to "ping" it again after you reinstall it.
    Thank you very much! While an air impact got it off jiffy quick, I still do very much appreciate your information and the time you took to respond. I am enjoying rescuing and tinkering with these old three wheelers!! =)

--
    I think that we all enjoy tinkering with them. I know that sometimes they can be frustrating, but it's still enjoyable overall.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I think that we all enjoy tinkering with them. I know that sometimes they can be frustrating, but it's still enjoyable overall.
    Correct you are! I just picked up my third "rescue" in three months (my wife is starting to question my sanity). None of them are currently ready to ride, but I did get all there to start. I have learned more mechanical stuff over this past winter tinkering around with them in my garage and watching YouTube videos than I have in the last 30. My day job is in IT, and I am in air conditioning all day, and you guessed it, I have no calluses on my hands! However, I have learned to keep plenty of goop in the garage, trim my fingernails short if i ever want to get all the grease out, and unnoticed cuts and scrapes are normal.

--
    Too late for you bud. You're addicted now. Great to see If it's 2,3 or 4 wheels. You'll most likely be able to easily fix it with this site and the internet
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //