//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 Big Red rear brake drum seal?

whipit is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1985 Big Red rear brake drum seal?

Im sure it is common knowledge on this site, but can someone point me toward a good source for a 1985 big red rear brake drum seal? it is 1985 only

--
    I haven't needed one personally, but I've looked around a little for possible interchanges and such and it seems to be a fairly unique design for the 85 ES/SX machines. 86+ the drum design changed quite a bit and got like a housing around the drum that's easier to make your own gaskets for and the o-rings should be semi easy to get the right size or custom made.

I didn't search out aftermarket options, I've seen used ones on ebay in the past though.

whipit is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I haven't needed one personally, but I've looked around a little for possible interchanges and such and it seems to be a fairly unique design for the 85 ES/SX machines. 86+ the drum design changed quite a bit and got like a housing around the drum that's easier to make your own gaskets for and the o-rings should be semi easy to get the right size or custom made.

I didn't search out aftermarket options, I've seen used ones on ebay in the past though.
    Yeah I cant find these seals. The 100 listings on ebay showing what looks like the correct seal are all wrong....they are for a 6017 seal which is a drum cover seal. The 1985 SX and ES rear drum seal is proving to be a tough one to find

my buddy googled the seal dimensions and came up with some place in australia selling a seal that size...for 90 bucks

--
    I guess the question comes down to if you need the drum sealed or not. If you never ride in mud/water etc, I don't think it's a 100% required part. I would think it's mainly to keep junk from getting into the brakes. Like on cars/trucks with drum brakes, they don't even have a seal at all, just a dust plate.

If it ends up being expensive for the seal, another option might be to swap the swing arm to the 86+ style, I've picked up a whole swing arm/rear end/diff/axle assembly for $100 locally. The brakes are a lot easier to seal on those machines based on the diagrams. Of course if you're going for a correct OEM build, that's not exactly an option.

--
    [QUOTE=ps2fixer;1495086]I guess the question comes down to if you need the drum sealed or not. If you never ride in mud/water etc, I don't think it's a 100% required part. I would think it's mainly to keep junk from getting into the brakes. Like on cars/trucks with drum brakes, they don't even have a seal at all, just a dust plate.

If it ends up being expensive for the seal, another option might be to swap the swing arm to the 86+ style, I've picked up a whole swing arm/rear end/diff/axle assembly for $100 locally. The brakes are a lot easier to seal on those machines based on the diagrams. Of course if you're going for a correct OEM build, that's not exactly an option.[/QUOTE

this is just a beater machine that was given to me with a dead engine and no carb., zip tied rear fenders, etc. not lovely by any means.

I have swapped in a nice low hour Fourtrax 250 engine and carb and would like to have the brakes sealed up nicely....I guess I will see if it is possible to make some kind of seal...

--
    If you come up with any solutions, let me know. If it's something available etc, I'd probably be looking to list them in the 3ww shop and such as long as it doesn't take too much time/effort to make/mod so prices can stay reasonable.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    If you come up with any solutions, let me know. If it's something available etc, I'd probably be looking to list them in the 3ww shop and such as long as it doesn't take too much time/effort to make/mod so prices can stay reasonable.
    maybe I can find a big, very coarse o-ring that could fit in there.

--
    I'm not sure if an o-ring would work too well, you kind of need a seal with a flat that gives, kind of like a house door seal or a bit like how a crank/cam seal is on cars but supersized.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //