//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 85 200x Reed valve

--

85 200x Reed valve

Hello guys,

So I bought this 85 200x. It's my first project and I'm fairly new to fixing stuff.

I was told that I needed a Reed valve, but in the manual I don't see anything about a reed valve. I purchased the 200x for 500 dollars. It's missing the carb, the airbox and a part called the insulator that connects the carb to the motor. I ordered an OEM carb and the insulator today, I wanna get this thing going

So my question is : do I need a Reed valve for this 200x, if so where does it belong ?

--
    Someone is pulling your leg or is this Damon trying to pull all our legs
    A simple search would tell you a reed valve is for a two stroke motor .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Reed valves are for 2 strokes.

Four stroke engine utilize a Kanuter Valve. It controls oil flow to the muffler bearings.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Also make sure your power band is not stretched out!!!
    Twin 1982 ATC200's
    1985 350X
    1985 200X
    and a bunch of 2 wheelers

--
    Quote Originally Posted by twomanytoys View Post
    Also make sure your power band is not stretched out!!!
    I have some of those for sale! Only 1st through 4th gears though. I'm keeping all the 5th gear powerbands for myself.

--
    Back to reality and all seriousness.

Where did you manage to order an OEM carburetor?
    All I find is OEM Quality which is Mandarin for "Stupid American's just keep buying this stuff thinking MAYBE next time it will actually work."

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Actually, oddly enough, there has been a few instances over the years where people have put reed valves on 4 stroke engines, and I was aware of one of those attempts when I worked at Norm Reeves Motorcycles in the mid 70's.

https://thekneeslider.com/ellwood-hy...stroke-engine/

"All sorts of interesting custom bikes and engine projects are coming out of Sweden all of a sudden, or at least, I'm just coming across them, and John Ellwood thought we might like to see one more, it's his Ellwood Hybrid, a single cylinder, 4 stroke with reed valves, from a 2 stroke, mounted on the crankcase directing the crankcase pressure to charge the intake twice per power stoke. The exhaust stroke pumps the intake once and the reed valve holds the charge, the intake stroke pumps it the second time when it goes into the cylinder, so you have a 2 stroke like pumping action from under the piston and a 4 stroke firing cycle. John Ellwood, who built this engine, says hybrid engines working on this principle began back in 1915."

.................................................. ................................

.................................................. .......

There is even a current 4 stroke engine in production that has a reed valve and it is on a weed whacker made by Shindaiwa

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...linder-muffler

And for the pièce de résistance, your guys much beloved HONDA Motorcycle Company even built a production reed valve 4 stroke in 1981 and 1982 called the XR500, but apparently that's something that only a KAWASAKI guy would know.

.................................................. ...........

"And this year the XR500R arrives with a Honda reed-valve assisted induction system."

--
    You can steer a car with your feet too but that don't make it a good idea.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You can steer a car with your feet too but that don't make it a good idea.
    Well one size does not fit all, and Shindaiwa seemed to think it was a good enough idea to put one on their current engines for their particular app, and obviously Honda thought the same thing in 1981/1982 for their particular app. Obviously it is unusual and not the norm, but the fact remains that it has been done, and currently is being done.

--
    That is true. I'm sure the Wankel, Sleeve Valve & Opposed piston engines seemed like a good idea at the time too.

--
    That is true. I'm sure the Wankel, Sleeve Valve & Opposed piston engines seemed like a good idea at the time too.
    Well, the Wankel engine, is definitely not a "bad" idea at all, and just because Mazda had issues with it, it does not mean the idea is inherently bad. In the case of the Mazda rotary engine, it was the execution/design and substandard parts they used that caused most of the issues. If China made a copy of a Toyota, I'm quite confident that the original Japanese made one would last far longer with far fewer problems.

Mazda, is even remaking the rotary engine and is going to use it in some of their new models.

https://carbuzz.com/news/mazda-gives...-rotary-engine

Here's a lame ol' rotary race car that did the 1/4 mile in 6.7 seconds at 206 mph while spanking a dragster with a V8 engine in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXhAkpflIeQ

--
    Here's a newer video of that poor ol' rotary car doing the 1/4 in 6.2 at 223 mph on the weekend it want it's class in one of Australia's biggest drag racing events, and that run was faster than most NHRA Pro Stock cars run in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3lvaxQd0G4

General Pro Stock Engine info.

Pro Stock engines use electronic fuel injection and spec gasoline and are restricted to a maximum of 500 cubic inches. They can make in excess of 1,300 horsepower. A competitive Pro Stock car can run in the 6.5s at more than 210 mph.

--
    Figures, it was my dad that told me that about the Reed valve. Like my childhood all over again. LOL

--
    I added some pictures of what I got, any advice you guys may have for restoring this awesome machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_142217.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	258196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_142221.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	258197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_142237.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	258198  

--
    Back to reality and all seriousness.

Where did you manage to order an OEM carburetor?
    All I find is OEM Quality which is Mandarin for "Stupid American's just keep buying this stuff thinking MAYBE next time it will actually work."
    Got lucky and found one off Ebay, the seller says it came off another 200x

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //