//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Possible key to restoring Plastics

--

Possible key to restoring Plastics

I never would have thought but it seems water is the key! I would recommend using 2000 grit sandpaper before heating up the plastic. Maybe a propane torch would work better that a heat gun but I'm no sure. I'm definitely testing this tomorrow afternoon on some old plastics I have . So, when the plastic gets real good and shiny immediately pour water of the entire section and it will stay that way. It looks legit in the video and I never heard of anyone doing it this way before. This does away with buffing so takes all the work out of it. https://youtu.be/yAu_BYXGR1Y

--
    Wow, thanks for the link. The results speak for themselves. I'll have to try it.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    That's awesome!

Thanks for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Good information-thanks. I’m imagining doing a bigger piece, by myself, next to a hose and a torch-maybe not a heat gun or anything electrical.

--
    Yes, I believe it's safer using a torch when water is involved and easier.

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I need to restore my big red plastics, sorry for the dumb question... but why do you need to heat the plastic up?

--
    Going to give that a try on some old plastic that I have. OP - thanks for posting.

--
    That's cool! It might be like quenching hot steel to maintain a certain grain structure, but in plastic. I'm going to experiment on an old fender, first, but I need to polish the plastics on my 200x, so this would help. I wonder if you could blend sections if you were working on a large area. I can't imagine it would be easy to keep a large area glossy long enough.
    1987 Honda 250SX
    1987 Honda 200X

--
    I'll have to do this with big spechts klt!

--
    Yes you do lol
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Well guys I had no luck with the Heat gun , all it does is get the plastic hot and warp it. I believe the propane torch is the only option , I will have to buy one. I recommend you practice on some junk plastics first before tackiling this.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    A torch, can darken the color to some degree if you get it too hot, so start off lightly. If red gets slightly darker, it's not a big problem, but yellow turns to a lovely golden brown if it gets too hot, just ask me how I know.

A heat gun can definitely work but it needs to be one that gets blazing hot so it can get just the outer surface of the plastic hot quickly before the heat penetrates thru the plastic, which is the case with some lower powered ones. Also, it's easier to heat just the surface of thick plastic than thin plastic.

--
    I've heated the plastics before to remove the White stress marks you get when the plastic is bent to far. Using a good heat gun works the best for me. I've never quenched it with water though.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    My experience has been to use the heat gun to remove white marks, and sandpaper and water to remove scratches.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //