//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Bought my first ATC!

--

Bought my first ATC!

Just bought my first ATC this past Saturday, a 1979 Honda ATC 110 for $60! I'm planning on riding on the beach at my family's camp but first I have to get it fixed up. Overall it's in excellent shape but it's been sitting outside for a couple years and some mice go into the wiring so I bought a used harness to put in. It also needs tires so I ordered a set of v tread ones off ebay. The last thing it needs is a new exhaust, the muffler is rusted out completely. Are there any good aftermarket replacements? Or maybe someone took the stock system off their bike? Apart from that, the engine and trans are in good shape and it runs good with some patched together wiring, the brakes are good and everything seems to be in nice shape, even the original tool kit. Here's a picture of it next to it's little brother the z50r and my 1971 Mustang
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_124813.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	258191

--
    So I'm looking for a new exhaust for this thing and I was wondering what other models shared the same exhaust. I found a vintage aftermarket one that came off a 1978 ATC 90 that I'd really like to get but I can't find any info on whether it will fit or not. Any ideas?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    the 90 exhaust will not be a direct fit.

unless you like loud obnoxious exhaust, you should stick with a stock exhaust, plus some riding places require a spark arrestor which the stock exhaust has.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Here's a picture of it next to it's little brother the z50r and my 1971 Mustang
    I can't see the photo because the moderators have blocked me from viewing them in most formats, lol.

Anyway, if you need any parts or suggestions for your mustang, feel free to send me a pm. I am a scott drake mustang parts dealer, and have been working on them since around 1970.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    the 90 exhaust will not be a direct fit.

unless you like loud obnoxious exhaust, you should stick with a stock exhaust, plus some riding places require a spark arrestor which the stock exhaust has.
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with stock, and try and get mine welded up if it's not too far gone. If I do have to buy one I'll make sure it's for a 110.

As for the Mustang I'm selling it, just too small for all my toys. Plus I can't find a trailer hitch for it!

--
    So I'm looking for a new exhaust for this thing and I was wondering what other models shared the same exhaust. I found a vintage aftermarket one that came off a 1978 ATC 90 that I'd really like to get but I can't find any info on whether it will fit or not. Any ideas?
    Same exhaust, it will fit. It won't run thru your frame as the stock one does it will run along the side. Depending on what brand of pipe it is some are quieter than others. As Barns says if you want to ride this on a somewhat public place others might appreciate a quieter stock pipe.. I have a stock one I may sell, pm me if interested
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    One more question- do the tires use tubes or are they tubeless? I bought tubes just in case.

--
    The tires are tubeless but can be a Big pain in the arse to reseal especially if the rim beads are rusty or the center groove is all rusted up.. It's okay to use the tubes as long as they are the correct size..
    Those rims are what is called a slpit rim, so two rim halves bolted together. Beings you have tubes you can change the tires your self..
    Last edited by DAM shop; 04-16-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: because barns cannot.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    What a great find for 60 bucks!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    The tires are tubeless but can be a Big pain in the arse to reseal especially if the rim beads are rusty or the center groove is all rusted up.. It's okay to use the tubes as long as they are the correct size..
    Those rims are what is called a slpit rim, so two rim halves bolted together. Beings you have tubes you can change the tires your self..
    Ok perfect. I think I'll try changing the tires myself first before I take it to a shop. The front is going to be a nightmare because a previous owner filled it with spray foam...

--
    I started taking the exhaust off today to either get it fixed or replace it depemding on how bad it is, and I can't seem to get it loose. Is there something I'm missing? I got the 2 nuts holding it to the engine and the one underneath holding it to the skid plate but I can't get it to budge

--
    I started taking the exhaust off today to either get it fixed or replace it depemding on how bad it is, and I can't seem to get it loose. Is there something I'm missing? I got the 2 nuts holding it to the engine and the one underneath holding it to the skid plate but I can't get it to budge
    There is a bolt running through the center of the exhaust. It's one of the brake cover bolts right side 3 o'clock I believe

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    There is a bolt running through the center of the exhaust. It's one of the brake cover bolts right side 3 o'clock I believe
    Never would have thought to check that, thanks. I got it off and it looks to be in fairly good shape, just one quarter size hole in the muffler so I dropped it off with my mechanic to see if he can get it patched up.

Also dropped off my wheels and tires at a local power equipment shop to get mounted. After cutting off the front tire that was filled with spray foam with a sawzall and a hatchet for 4 hours I decided to let someone else put the new tires on...

--
    Looks like 2 of the tires were pretty straightforward but the third is giving the guy changing them a lot of trouble. He tried the tube first but it popped because he said the valve stem didn't have the right offset. Is there a special kund of tube I should buy? I'm going to avoid going tubeless because I think it's going to be next to impossible to get it to seal on that rim.

--
    It seems like most of the tubes these days use a TR6 stem which is metal and uses a couple of nuts to tighten it down. The TR6 stem also seems to be fairly centered on the tube from my observations. A tube with a rubber stem (I think it's a TR13 but don't quote me on that one) seemed to have the stem off set more to one side of the tube. If you can't find one of those, your tire guy may have to put a regular tubeless stem in the hole in your rim and drill another hole to run thee TR6 stem through. I've had these issues with tubes and stems myself.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //