//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1983 Honda 200E Needs More Power.

--

1983 Honda 200E Needs More Power.

I bought a 1983 ATC200E a while back for $50 not running. Brought it home and cleaned carb, ajusted valves, ect. Ive been riding it for a while now and its a fun toy. I seen online a guy who lifted it up and snorckled it, so i went to the welder and "Fabricated" a lift for it. im running 27's on the ole girl and I've been saving up some money to get just some more "umph" out of the 200 motor. can someone put in their 2 cents on what piston, cam, carb, clutches, head, ect i can run. Would love to keep the motor with high and low. Its stock with a DG header pipe and muffler. Im not looking for a faster bike, Im more looking for torque so when i want to have fun i can. if anyone can help with the build its much appreciated.

(Im a new comer so if this doesn't meet the rules let me know. Thanks)

--
    A wiseco 10.25 piston , WEB mid grind cam , 26mm xr200 carburetor and a performance exhaust , will definitely wake up that little motor .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Alright What exactly would be a mild cam? And where would be a reliable place to get the piston? Also with the head I want to put new valve springs in. Do I need to look for stronger or will stocks work good? Thank ya again

--
    While I’m at it I don’t have a problem with Boreing it. But what’s a safe amount? Sorry for all the questions I’d rather get it right the first time. Measure twice cut once.

--
    Only bore to the next size piston to give you'r rings a fresh surface to work with. The cylinder walls are pretty thin on the 200 so......
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlawson View Post
    (Im a new comer so if this doesn't meet the rules let me know. Thanks)
    Welcome to the forum and happy easter.

I bought a 1983 ATC200E a while... ...cleaned carb... ...im running 27's... ...I've been saving up some money to get just some more "umph" out of the 200 motor. can someone put in their 2 cents on what piston, cam, carb, clutches, head, ect i can run. Its stock with a DG header pipe and muffler. Im not looking for a faster bike, Im more looking for torque
    If you want a big increase in low end torque without making a high revving engine, you need to increase the displacement, unfortunately, from what I can tell, the only way to get much more displacement with this engine is to put a stroker kit in it which will probably be at least around $600.00 if you can even find one. A high compression piston like shortline10 suggested will certainly help some, and he knows these engines far better than I do but it will not get you a "day and night" improvement, especially since you already have a performance exhaust and still want more power. A cam as he suggested will also help some but in general, the "bigger" the cam the higher the overall power band of the engine becomes. In other words, an engine will typically have less bottom end but more top end to a degree with a "bigger" cam, but there are a lot more factors involved, so in your particular case, if you get a bigger cam, I would be careful not to go too big unless you dodn't mind possibly giving up a little low end power for more mid and top end.

Unfortunately, the taller tires killed off the low end power feel and you can't change the gearing on this model.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Alright What exactly would be a mild cam? And where would be a reliable place to get the piston? Also with the head I want to put new valve springs in. Do I need to look for stronger or will stocks work good? Thank ya again
    Wiseco is one place to get the piston and they also sell them on Ebay so you can price shop.

Yes, slightly stiffer springs are always best with a slightly bigger cam, but become more important the "bigger" the cam is and the higher the engine will be revved etc, and both mfg's below sell springs

Shortline10 or someone else can tell you what other model cam will fit it since neither cam mfg below lists a 200m.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

https://www.megacyclecams.com/catalo..._optimized.pdf

--
    If it has a stock carb, you will get some more mid and top end with a slightly bigger carb with the other performance parts you plan to put on it, but it you basically never drag race it or don't go above around 2/3rds throttle, a bigger carb won't increase power at all.

--
    I much appreciate the help! I’m going to get a wiseco piston, Mild cam, new bigger carb, and change the sprockets. I’ve got new clutches on the way so I’m just going to see where this project takes me. I thank you guys a lot it has helped me. I’ll make sure to get a pic of this ole beast once I’m done. Once again thanks

--
    I much appreciate the help! I’m going to get a wiseco piston, Mild cam, new bigger carb, and change the sprockets. I’ve got new clutches on the way so I’m just going to see where this project takes me. I thank you guys a lot it has helped me. I’ll make sure to get a pic of this ole beast once I’m done. Once again thanks
    Stock clutch plates are typically very good.

This is incorrect, I was thinking of another model.

Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Unfortunately, the taller tires killed off the low end power feel and you can't change the gearing on this model.
    Yes, changing gearing will help. I suggest you get a 1 tooth smaller countershaft sprocket first if one is available, then try that before you start buying other parts because you might think the different gearing is enough or almost enough, and if you just want a small increase in power after the gearing, just the high compression piston may be all you need, but you can easily add a cam later etc.

--
    hey sorry to barge in, but just wondering, im new to doing pistons and rings, but where can you get a 12.1 or 10.1 piston that fits in a 200e without a bore? and is a 10.25 piston better? what would give you the most bottom end gain? New to engine rebuilds, just wondering how the the piston sizing and higher comp pistons work, etc, and whether a bigger bore piston always means enlarging the cylinder?
    im a newbie to this, any help would be nice....

--
    Yes, a bigger piston means that you have to enlarge the cylinder bore to specs. If you're going through all of the trouble to install a new piston, then your best bet is to have the cylinder bored so that you can start completely fresh with no wear in the cylinder. You won't be able to tell the difference between a 10:1 and a 10.25:1 piston. With the 10:1/10.25;1 piston, you'll still be able to run pump gas, where you should run race gas or a mix of race and pump gas when you go with a higher compression ratio. A 12:1 piston would probably give you more low end torque than a 10:1 piston. As for me, I want nothing to do with race gas so I'll stick to 10.25:1 compression.

--
    Another tip, I'm not sure if it clears, but the 200x cylinder/top end has larger cooling fins. More cooling on an air cooled engine is a good thing. Pretty sure when you make more power, you also make more heat.

--
    Easiest thing to do is just regear your sprockets. Outside that if you really want a upgrade stick in a crf230 engine

--
    thanks! does a 11.1 piston usually require race fuel, or would a premium pump gas work?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //