//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evil plans: Avatar come true?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I won't argue, because I truely do not know.....but I find that very difficult to believe.
    Oh, I can assure you they do, and I have the bruises from the baseball size chunks or earth they trench up with the rear wheels and hurl them conveniently directly at the riders behind them at warp speed.

Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I thought the chart below might be interesting to some. It is a dyno test of a 1978 YZ250 that was done back in 78, but my engine isn't much different so it's a reasonable comparison. The 78 put out 32 hp (corrected hp) at the rear wheel, and my bike is no more than around 36 with the Boyesen ports added. The 2000 Honda CR250 made a monsterous 46 hp at the rear wheel during one magazines test in 2000.

The YZ only made a lame 12 hp over the first 5000 rpm, after which it made 30 hp more over a 2000 rpm range. This light switch type power "curve" (which is actually a sudden power spike) is very similar to that of a full blown race built 1974 CR125, and this is exactly why my bike is so hard to ride. The 2000 Honda is a water col;ed, power valve engine, and it has a much smoother power delivery and much more power to deliver than mine does.

.................................................. ..........

Here is a dyno comparison of all of the top 2000 model 250 2 strokes which shows how ridiculously linear the power curves are on all of them. The Honda still made around 43 hp in this test, and all but one of them made over 20 hp at 5000 rpm where mine only makes around 12 , which is why they can easily out accelerate me when exiting most turns and go farther and faster over the jumps that are immediately after a turn, and is why I have to hang it all out on the straights and when entering the turns, which I can assure you is a little hairy to do (at least for me at my age) on any bike, especially on a 38 year old one.

.................................................. .........

Here's a dyno of a 1981 YZ465 and it has almost as much power as your Husky.

"Dynamometer figures line up nicely with seat-of-the-pants impressions. The YZ465G has the most horsepower of any production motocrosser that's been on the Webco dyno. The YZ develops a whopping 41.92 rear-wheel horsepower at 7000 rpm, and its torque peak occurs at 6000 rpm where it makes 34.51 pounds-feet. This compares to the YZ400F's maximum power figure of 36.90 and torque peak of 29.10 pounds-feet, at 7000 rpm and 6500 rpm respectively. The nearest thing to the 465 is the Can-Am 370 MX-5, which produced 39.74 horsepower at 7000 rpm and 30.77 pounds-feet torque at 6500 rpm.

Beyond the issue of maximum output is power spread. The 465 makes colossal horsepower from 5000 ( 27.54) to 8000 rpm ( 29.36) ; in 500-rpm steps, here's the rough topography of the 465's high mountain range: 27.5, 34, 39.5, 41, 42, 38.5, 29.5 horsepower. Want to talk about bulldozer torque? At 3500 rpm, there's 23 pounds-feet of torque on tap, and almost 27 at 7500 rpm. The 465 has so much power at any meaningful engine speed that you could just about put the YZ into third gear, toss the shift lever away and still race the bike without undue hardship."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    A modern 250 has over 50hp at the rear wheels and 30+ pounds of torque. Some will pull from 1,000 to 7,000 rpm without any discernible hit. What do you figure that Husky made when it ran?
    Gabriel, lots of logic here....
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    The big bore stuff is definitely detuned. To much power and you'd loose traction once you hit the power band. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 10-20hp that wouldn't be hard to achieve in that old husky. Head work, port, carb.... and the hard part.. The pipe. The pipe would be the first thing in the list of mods if you ask me.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was another 10-20hp that wouldn't be hard to achieve in that old husky. Head work, port, carb.... and the hard part.. The pipe. The pipe would be the first thing in the list of mods if you ask me.
    There is 53.08hp @ 7022 rpm achievable on this dyno with a lot of mods on a 1987 Husky CR500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrzmrgfaeY

--
    Is that a cr500 motor or the husky? Not familiar with husky names. 53hp at 7k isn't bad. Plenty of power.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    ANOTHER POST TO MAKE A POST CORRECTION CUZ I AN'T GOTZ NO EDT BUTTONZ

oops...I posted some of the wrong bikes. I will find the hp info I have on some of the newer 4 stroke bikes and make another long post to correct the long incorrect post I just made.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    Is that a cr500 motor or the husky? Not familiar with husky names. 53hp at 7k isn't bad. Plenty of power.
    It is exactly what I posted, which is a 1987 Husky CR500. I guess they aren't too creative with names over there so they simply borrowed Honda's.

--

--
    In case you haven't seen the info on F5's below, you might find it interesting. I had an F5 back around 1975.

https://www.klemmvintage.com/bighorntech.htm
    I'm pretty sure I saw that before, didn't read it too far before, lots of details there. My build would more or less just be a stock engine, maybe a few small mods to help acceleration like a lighter flywheel seems like a good idea, then again, it's kind of nice to be able to pop the clutch out and not stall when max speed/racing isn't a concern. No clue what's in the engine, so the start is to find out what I have and fix 2nd and 3rd gear which are worn out. All other gears sounded fine, but those two gears grumbled pretty bad. Haven't rode it because of that. I have 3 bikes, so ideally I should have the parts to get the engine up to spec.

It is exactly what I posted, which is a 1987 Husky CR500. I guess they aren't too creative with names over there so they simply borrowed Honda's.
    Seems like my 50hp guess wasn't super far off. I figured with mods it should push 80-90hp though, but pretty little experience with 2 strokes, just what I've read about the ATC250R.

I wish there was more hp/torque curves for all machines. If I remember right, I think I read the big horn 350 made around 36hp stock and after mods 40-45hp. No clue how much bottom end torque would be lost with the mods, I really enjoy a low end torqey engine. I've always been a 4 stroke person, but this is the only 2 stroke I really like for an atv.

Just a quick google search netting me 46hp @ 6k rpm and peak torque 37.2 @ 6k rpm stock for the husky CR500, still a lot of power to work with =). Can't say if it's accurate numbers, but it's something.
    Source: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...husqvarna-500/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    .My build would more or less just be a stock engine, maybe a few small mods to help acceleration like a lighter flywheel seems like a good idea, then again, it's kind of nice to be able to pop the clutch out and not stall when max speed/racing isn't a concern.

I have and fix 2nd and 3rd gear which are worn out.

...little experience with 2 strokes, just what I've read about the ATC250R.

I wish there was more hp/torque curves for all machines. If I remember right, I think I read the big horn 350 made around 36hp stock and after mods 40-45hp. No clue how much bottom end torque would be lost with the mods, I really enjoy a low end torqey engine. I've always been a 4 stroke person, but this is the only 2 stroke I really like for an atv.

Just a quick google search netting me 46hp @ 6k rpm and peak torque 37.2 @ 6k rpm stock for the husky CR500, still a lot of power to work with =). Can't say if it's accurate numbers, but it's something.
    Source: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...husqvarna-500/
    I wouldn't lighten the stator on the F5 for your particular app. I did a lot of flywheel weight testing long before I worked at Kawi.

You might consider having the gears cryo treated to increase their life span since parts for these bikes are getting harder to find and more expensive. I just had the entire tans on my 1980 YZ250 cryo treated because it is a 1 year only model and some of the tranny parts no longer exist, so when the trans wears out, my $4,000.00 bike will be worth around $400.00.

And the atc250r makes less power than The TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!

Those numbers are fairly close, but as you may know, different dynos can produce different numbers. Irregardless, yeah, it will have way more power than most mortal men can ever fully use. As far as maximum brute power goes, that would be the KAWASAKI KX500. It had more power than any other production single cylinder 2 stroke ever made. I actually had to do some detonation testing on the 1986 Prototype KX500 when I worked at Kawi, and I don't mind saying that I thought it was outright frightening and seriously couldn't wait until the testing was over. There are simply no words that can suitably describ how fast this thing was and how hard it was for me to hold onto the bars when accelerating at wot. There is a guy that races one in the vintage races I race at and at one of the races I was in, he holeshot everyone from the far outside by around 2 bike lengths, and that was in around just a 60 yard long start. It was simply shocking. Strangely enough, the KX500's have now become collectors items.

--
    Yeah, well......I’d be happy just getting it running.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yeah, well......I’d be happy just getting it running.
    Just pray that it has spark.

If you find it hard to kick over due to high compression, you can install a thicker head gasket and test that. Cometic can probably make one for you, however, that model may have less compression than the CR model, and if so, it shouldn't be that hard to kick with the exception that it is awkward because the kick starter is on the left side. My 74 400 Maico had the kicker on the left side and I hated starting that thing and would have to stand on the left side of the bike and kick it over with my right foot while holding the compression release lever down.

You can also but an ignition coil that will produce a hotter spark than the stock one for around $120.00 which should make it a little easier to start as well. I can post the site that carries them if you want.

--
    If there's no limit on money/budget/time, you could also get a programmable CDI and retard the timing a ton for kick start speeds, so it sparks to help you turn the engine over faster. One of those CDI's is something like $140 or so though and probably a fun time getting it wired up right.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Can you post dyno numbers when you`ve had beans .............Barn ?
    This dyno test was after eating tasty HEINZ BEANS that were smothered in a in a savory Honey Baked Ham sauce....yum! Unfortunately I forgot to bring an extra pair of shorts.

.................................................. .....................................

TexFest is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    here's some guy on youtube with his on a dyno

TPC 450R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //