//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evil plans: Avatar come true?

--

Evil plans: Avatar come true?

My avatar, I've loved that trike since I found it on the interwebz.

Well, by sheer dumb luck, I happened upon a Husqvarna today for near nothing. It doesn't run but is mostly there. Certainly everything needed to do a trike conversion.
    Wonder how good a trike a 1987 Husqvarna XC 500 would make?

I'll get some pics of this behemoth up tomorrow....but if this were rebuilt and turned into a trike .......well, my 200ES (I finally have running right as of today) It'd make it look like a monkey phickin' a football.

Thoughts? I'm not for sure I can or will even try to, but when someone offers a Husqvarna for less than scrap metal price, you take it & shut up & smile.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Missing a few parts and the swing arm is broken at the pivot point but if it were converted to a trike, you'd be tossing the swing arm anywho.
    This is one of the last REAL Husqvarna's before KTM got involved. KTM is AWESOME, but they're NOT Husqvarna. This engine says made in Sweden on the head.

I gotta be honest to the point of looking like a puzzy......the idea of this thing is pretty scary. Were this engine running proper in JUST stock form, it is FAR beyond my ability to handle. This is a wicked BEAST. I need to pressure wash the engine but I think I saw some casting numbers on the block...can't be sure for all the grease and mud but I think the casting numbers are 666.

What I think would REALLY be cool is this engine on a Honda Pilot. Dayuuummm!!!!!

This is one of the tallest dirt bikes I have ever seen. I am 5'11" tall and the seat comes up to my sternum.

kevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Looks pretty cool can't wait to see what you do with it!

--
    Play time? OOOOOOO!!!!!! Bone Saw is READY!!!! 3 minutes....3 minutes of.....PLAYTIME!

--
    Husky 500 2 stroke, HANG ON!!!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Husky 500 2 stroke, HANG ON!!!!
    ....if you can. LOL!

Jokes aside, I bet it was hard pulling sumbeeech when she was new.

--
    Good luck starting it. Had a friend with a 400 husky and it wouldn’t start until we drug it behind a truck. Those old models were very cold natured.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Another installment of "Play time with Gabriel"
    I shoulda grabbed that username back when I signed up... lol

From one Gabriel to another. Your gonna have to bust out the intense math or begin fabricating, or both. Here's a few of my own monstrosities. Nothing is right, but they all do or did work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blaster reeds in yt175.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	258362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161005_161530.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	258363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161003_152812.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	258364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stator test - 3 working.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	258365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pics 1387.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	258366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190323_203812.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	258367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190308_170501.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	258368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desk.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	258369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder head mill.jpg 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	258370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031.JPG 
Size:	859.0 KB 
ID:	258371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190428_003225.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	258372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190411_041746.jpg 
Size:	556.8 KB 
ID:	258373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo05161539.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	258374
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    No direct experience with husky atvs/motorcycles, but I've heard they had tons of power.

Since you're thinking about making it a 3 wheeler, why not repair the swing arm, and adapt the wheel mount area to accept an axle carrier, like use a 300ex/400ex setup or something? That's the poor man's quick and dirty 2 to 3 wheel conversion. My dad cut a 370 suzuki enduro in half and welded on a rear section of a 3 wheeler and had a blast. No suspension in the rear, and it started off as some 5hp can't move it's self out of the way usa made 3 wheeler with basically a MTD riding mower rear axle. After the 370, the front tire rarely touched the ground lol. Too bad I was too young to really ride it, I got to putt around on it a couple times, but I was like 7 years old.

Seems like the main critical part you'd need is the right engine side cover, anything else major missing? General rule of thumb for any project, get the engine running, or since it's a 2 stroke, pop the cylinder off and see how it looks then focus on getting it to a running state. Then I'd personally say get the swing arm fixed and ride it a little to see if you like the power and such. If it's good, target the final gear ratio of the 3 wheeler layout similar to the bike's gear ratio with the large tire, or adjust as needed. Either case a 500cc 2 stroke 3 wheeler should be quite a monster.

If you build this and I ever show up at trike fest again, we will have to drag race on the drag strip against the machine I'm thinking about building. 350 big horn rotary valve 2 stroke based machine. Unless I run across a suitable 3 wheeler frame, I have an 87 350 warrior frame that would love an engine in it or maybe the 87 TRX250X frame. Doubt I'd beat ya, but the guy that sold me the bike claimed they could keep up with 500 series bikes pretty well. Maybe I should take my own advice and convert the bike frame to a 3 wheeler using a quad rear end/axle setup lol.

Any idea what stock HP rating was on that engine? I think around 1hp per 10cc is pretty reasonable, so guessing ~50hp+? I saw a dyno run of a 350 big horn putting out about 45hp, but I don't know what mods besides EFI kit it has. Bike I have was an ice racer so might have been ported, but otherwise is stock with a bunch of missing parts I don't really care about except the right seat for it. Shouldn't be hard to build one though :P.

Either case, good luck with the project.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Yeah, build that sucker. We need some more entertainment here, plus, nobody else has one.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Yeah, build that sucker.

Gotta get some other things finished first but......I'm gonna HAVE to do something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    We need some more entertainment here.

Ain't been no body doing much around here as of late. Mostly just the one timers and Glamy exposing himself in a public place.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I gotta be honest to the point of looking like a puzzy......the idea of this thing is pretty scary. Were this engine running proper in JUST stock form, it is FAR beyond my ability to handle. This is a wicked BEAST.
    Don’t let that 500 sticker scare you . That engine probably doesn’t make much more power than a modern 250 smoker. It would probably be a great power plant for a trike in terms of the power band, but they were know to vibrate pretty hard. Good luck finding parts.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    That engine probably doesn’t make much more power than a modern 250 smoker. .
    I won't argue, because I truely do not know.....but I find that very difficult to believe.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I won't argue, because I truely do not know.....but I find that very difficult to believe.
    A modern 250 has over 50hp at the rear wheels and 30+ pounds of torque. Some will pull from 1,000 to 7,000 rpm without any discernible hit. What do you figure that Husky made when it ran?
    It sucks to get old

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I'm thinking about building. 350 big horn rotary valve 2 stroke based machine. the guy that sold me the bike claimed they could keep up with 500 series bikes pretty well. Maybe I should take my own advice and convert the bike frame to a 3 wheeler using a quad rear end/axle setup lol.

I saw a dyno run of a 350 big horn putting out about 45hp, but I don't know what mods besides EFI kit it has.
    In case you haven't seen the info on F5's below, you might find it interesting. I had an F5 back around 1975.

https://www.klemmvintage.com/bighorntech.htm

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //