//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: '83 250R carb swap

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Yes, easier for parts and better technology.
    A flat slide 39mm for $100?! How do I know what size to look for? I think the OEM is a 30mm.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by red_russian1 View Post
    So, any idea which carb or size to run? I'm not really looking to dumping a bunch of $$$ into a new carb if this PE will work.
    If the pe will fit, it will "work" as long as it is operating properly. As far as size goes, if your engine is close to stock, I wouldn't go larger than a 32mm. A new style carb won't do much for you other than drain your wallet.

--
    So, any idea which carb or size to run? I'm not really looking to dumping a bunch of $$$ into a new carb if this PE will work.

Have to know more, I see a dg head, usually high compression, rod length etc. do what you want but you will be rebuilding that PE.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    A flat slide 39mm for $100?! How do I know what size to look for? I think the OEM is a 30mm.

Waaaay too big.

--
    Since you say it has lots of low end power now, if you want more mid and top end power and are willing to sacrifice a little low end power to get it, you can simply remove that stock 30 lb muffler and replace it with a straight thru type.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Since you say it has lots of low end power now, if you want more mid and top end power and are willing to sacrifice a little low end power to get it, you can simply remove that stock 30 lb muffler and replace it with a straight thru type.
    I have a DG pipe/silencer on my wishlist but it probably won't happen until next year. I need to replace all 3 tires, rebuild the rear master cylinder and replace the air filter still. I'm not racing the thing but I do want to have fun on it when on the trails.

--
    I have a DG pipe/silencer on my wishlist but it probably won't happen until next year. I need to replace all 3 tires, rebuild the rear master cylinder and replace the air filter still. I'm not racing the thing but I do want to have fun on it when on the trails.

Have you even ridden it on the trails yet?

--
    Have you even ridden it on the trails yet?
    Yeah I've taken it out a couple times, but not since about 2013 (we moved and it's been sitting ever since). Kick ass when coming up over a hill and pulling the front tire off the ground til the bottom of the dip!
    I'm going to try and get tires ordered yet this month, along with the air filter (damn mice ).

--
    Ok then it really might be best if you ride it again then tell us what you would like the engine to do that is different than what it is doing now before you go buying parts you may not need. You may also just need a different silencer instead of an entire expensive pioe to get the type of power you want so changes can be made in small steps one at a time to kerp from buying unnecesssry parts.

--
    Ok then it really might be best if you ride it again then tell us what you would like the engine to do that is different than what it is doing now before you go buying parts you may not need. You may also just need a different silencer instead of an entire expensive pioe to get the type of power you want so changes can be made in small steps one at a time to kerp from buying unnecesssry parts.
    Do silencers make that much of a difference, compared to the complete pipe? And does any else make them for the '83 besides DG? Dennis Kirk is the only place I've seen them.

--
    A strsight thru silencer typically makes a fairly noticeable difference compared to a stock silencer like yours which also has a spark arrestor and the aftermarket silencers thst pipe mfgs make typically fit both a stock pipe and their aftermarket one, in which case you can spend a smaller amount on the silencer first to see how it works before spending a boat load on a complete pipe system.

--
    Your pipe and port work will determine what carb you need.

This is for a stock stroke+stock bore (or close too) 83 250r.
    Trails = 32-34mm
    Built/Dunes = 36-38mm
    Drag racing = 42mm

The Keihin PWK like is very nice and easy to jet. Make sure you don't end up with anything Chinese. Those things will make you leaner than a vegan.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSalt View Post
    Drag racing = 42mm
    I have never seen or used a 42mm carb on any single cylinder 2 stroke 250 no matter how much it was modified but I'm sure some people have installed them, but I would love to see a dyno sheet with the same type 38 vs a 40 vs a 42 on any model, but especially on an atc250r.

--
    I have never seen or used a 42mm carb on any single cylinder 2 stroke 250 no matter how much it was modified but I'm sure some people have installed them, but I would love to see a dyno sheet with the same type 38 vs a 40 vs a 42 on any model, but especially on an atc250r.
    I am sure Selvy has some. Hit him up on facebook. We do it all the time to the air cooled 250rs. The last 83 I built for a customer was a 41 tmx taper bored to a 42mm. The customer here can feel free to chime in, but he would say that by the seat of the pants it was a completely different animal than with the 32mm.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I am sure Selvy has some. Hit him up on facebook. We do it all the time to the air cooled 250rs. The last 83 I built for a customer was a 41 tmx taper bored to a 42mm. The customer here can feel free to chime in, but he would say that by the seat of the pants it was a completely different animal than with the 32mm.
    That's an idea, I will probably send him a message next week if I slow down long enough and see what he has for dyno sheets or see what he says and will post whatever he replies back to me with.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //