//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: one off fenders cast from originals (fiberglass)

--
    Ironically, I was poking around some ideas for CADing up seat pans, just need to make them, send to you for the foam, and cover to resell ready to use seats =).

If you're handy with metal, a metal fender would hold up the best, be kind of heavy, but is the best guard against trees and brush. Reminds me of my uncle's TRX125, we had to make new trails on the power line road, so that little machine was used to run over ~10-12ft tall brush. It was so thick had to go up it till the back tires came off the ground, then back up and hit it again. I've done similar with my ATC200ES, but the brush kept pushing up on the shifter and making it clutch. A small pipe bumper went a LONG ways on that TRX125, and later the 350 warrior I rode the snot out of.

Fair warning, wrecking at speed with metal fenders likely would cause more damage to the rider, kind of a trade off I guess. It also would probably look like crap, but never know.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 05-10-2019 at 01:54 AM.

--
    You can make a large vacuum form out of plywood and perforated board/plywood. Connect several shop vacs to quickly pull a vacuum. Youtube it.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Shep....im interested to know your thoughts on why you dont think this process and plastic would take much abuse..are they brittle? Does it flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Read roonies post yesterday and you guys were talking about needing heat for forming sheet plastic and this is what I came up with. Oh yes there is heat (chemical reaction) but just warm. I don’t “think” it would hold up to much abuse though. A front fender it’d probably be fine but rears I highly doubt it, it would probably be a bad idea. May work great for like side panels and things. I need a dummy fuel tank and may go this route. Or like a two-part mold for seat foams

Shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by roonie View Post
    Shep....im interested to know your thoughts on why you dont think this process and plastic would take much abuse..are they brittle? Does it flex?
    Theres no real short answer to that, been trying to think of something to compare it to. On a shore scale this is a 78d but there are softer more flexible plastics available too. I guess this plastic is similar to a auto interior plastic, firm and has some flex but bend it too far and snap! The key dashes I’m doing are made from this 78d, I bet I could stand on one but if I jumped on it it’d break apart not nessasary shatter into a million pieces though.
    I don’t know what to tell ya. Careful messing with this plastic hobby though it’s VERY addicting......

Shep

--
    ive watched a couple vids on youtube where they heated the blue rain barels and made other parts from the melted plastic...surely that blue plastic from a rain barrel would flex nicely? The plastic is HDPE. Shep...are you using HDPE plastic? Surely we can make a couple side covers for the honda big red 250 es that are a pocket full of $$$ at another plastic maker company
    Last edited by roonie; 05-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by roonie View Post
    ive watched a couple vids on youtube where they heated the blue rain barels and made other parts from the melted plastic...surely that blue plastic from a rain barrel would flex nicely? The plastic is HDPE. Shep...are you using HDPE plastic? Surely we can make a couple side covers for the honda big red 250 es that are a pocket full of $$$ at another plastic maker company
    Nope it’s not hdpe. I play with polyurethanes/urethane/silicone/epoxies.
    To busy to even think about doing side covers honestly. Life’s real busy at the moment

Shep

--
    One thing to remember with molded plastic, the mold cost is quite a bit and it's only good for so many runs. Vacuum molding I'm pretty sure it lasts longer, but the big red side covers couldn't be made that way because of the pins that stick out to hold it on the machine.

Probably the best option is to pay the big big $$$$ and get an injection mode made (like $20-80k cost), then you can produce 1000s of units for cents each, just the mold cost is what kills the costs and probably not enough people that want/need the part to offset the huge up front cost/risk. You could probably have it made a fair bit cheaper in China, but good luck with quality control.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //