//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 atc 200 ES....CDI problem

--

84 atc 200 ES....CDI problem

Hey all, been a while since I’ve been on the form...

I recently replaced my CDI box on my 84 200es, but once I plug the new box in to the plug the reverse light comes on, and unable to start...would this mean a faulty cdi box? Because when I plug the old one back in it’s fine, and starts up. I figured I’d replace it since after a long trail ride it would get a bit cranky and stall, i replace the coil also. (I figured I’d try the el-cheapo cdi box on eBay just to try, maybe it’s just a bad one)

Anyway any input would help, thanks !

--
    Oem only on the CDI , the China ones don’t work .
    Last edited by shortline10; 05-13-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Edit , the China CDI’s don’t work unless you Jerry rig your harness lol
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Chinese CDIs work perfectly, I have converted x6 ATC200es already and never had a CDI problem again.

Check this link out:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=atc200es+cdi
    1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED x6

1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED x3

1984 Honda ATC70 LITTLE RED

1983 Honda ATC185S(200E engine)

1984 Honda ATC200X

1985 ATC 70

1983 ATC 70

--
    The "issue" is the Chinese CDI doesn't have any safety system built in. The pins are BOTH ground, so the reverse safety wire is grounding though the CDI. To fix, cut the gray wire at the CDI plug, or pull the terminal out. To fix correctly, replace the CDI with one of the same design as OEM, or a non-generic CDI like Mikesatvfix.com or the ricks site ones. If I can get the connectors in stock again, I can make a short adapter to fix the issue if the new CDI is the 4+2 style. If it's the round style CDI, I can't get the harness side of the connector (female).

Talking about CDI's, don't forget to check your spark advancer which is located under the "CDI" cover on the engine head. It should move freely and the springs be in good shape. New springs are listed in the 3ww shop. That hardware does most, if not all of the ignition timing advancement and since it's mechanical, it needs to be in good working order to get the best engine performance. With them messed up, the engine doesn't respond nearly as good but seems to run fine (my first 200es was like this, never knew till I got a 2nd one that ran so much better).

Also, if you don't want to cut your harness, you could just disconnect the reverse safety switch, you just wouldn't get the reverse light on the dash ever. I also make a bypass plug for the inhibitor relay switch since some people have had problems with them failing.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //