//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 400ex carb on the 350x

--
    That's interesting. The carb on these B&S motors in the argos get clogged with like a lacquer and the ports on the jets close right down. When it was happening before using this fuel treatment, the only way to keep the motor running after start up was to keep the choke on. I don't recall ever seeing any white residue in the carb. I always did and still use just the lowest grade of gas at the station not ehtanol free gas. I've only found ethanol free gas up in Maine or it just wasn't convenient to my location to go get it.

--
    This is the corrosion I'm talking about.

Before it fully dries up it looks more like this

Normally the E free gas looks more like this, like a jelly when it drys up most of the way. Over time it does harden into a brown layer.

Just to talk about the differences a bit, my 350x ran fine when I got it, and it started to get lean, took the carb off and cleaned it and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner to finish the job, and the corrosion on the drain plug was so bad it had a hole about the size of a pencil lead. Did the same treatment on a replacement carb and the parts came out like brand new.

I also bought a 1986 Toyota pickup carb'ed 22R that only had 36k miles on it and easily has been sitting 20+ years, I was able to fix the ate up wires and fire it up on the old gas and drove it down my dirt road, brakes and everything worked fine yet. Basically no one wants a 2wd pickup in my area because of winter, so I ended up parting it out. Running an an engine on super old gas like that isn't recommended, I just kind of did it spur of the moment when I noticed it had gas in the carb after cranking a bit (has a site glass). If it's ran too long, the hot valves can collect the poor quality fuel and over a bit of time it can make the valve stick open.

Just my experience with old (like 80's era) gas vs like 90's-2000ish and newer. The really old gas seems to jell up as a solid chunk, newer gas does the little almost salt like grain look probably from some anti gelling additive or something. I'm not sure when my state got E10 gas as the standard, but if the machine is designed for it, it's not a problem, like plastic gas tank, stainless or synthetic lines, stainless injectors if fuel injected, etc. Not sure what's done for modern carb'ed engines since ethanol corrodes aluminum. I think plastic floats are one measure, but they are also cheaper to make vs copper or brass, and I suspect more reliable than cork.

Here's a pretty good random video, not exactly on the dirty carb topic, but always interesting to see good solid testing with results presented in an unbiased fashion. The only thing he messed up a little on is he should have done the carbon build up test on his generator which is fuel injected assuming it would self correct for the slight difference in tuning for E free vs E10 gas (slight different energy content per volume). My main thing is around storage and effects on the carb. Normally if I run E10, I run the carb out of fuel, E free I leave it sit in the bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEf9Fdvx_Sc

--
    I've never had A carb look like that. when I have had to clean the B&S carb it was really the jets were clogging. The opening was closing up. sprayed carb cleaner through them and got them opened up again. Just a hassle is all. Since using this additive I get no issues.

--
    Those carbs are just when things sit for a long time with gas in the carb. Depends on the design etc, I've seen some only take a year, while others sit for 5+ years and it's still liquid inside. Normally those carbs are the ones that the machine does 100% nothing when trying to start. I work on a lot of old left for dead machines and such since I buy that kind of stuff for something todo sometimes.

--
    good to know thanks.

--
    What throttle cable works with a 400 carb on a twist grip throttle?

--
    If you're adding a twist throttle, look at Motion Pro. They offer twist throttle conversions. If you already have the twist throttle and want to replace your 350X carb with one from a 400EX, just use the cable that you already have. At least as far as the thumb throttles go, the 350X cable works with a 400EX carb and I would suspect that the same goes for a twist throttle.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //