//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yt125 pull start

--

Yt125 pull start

Well im back again. My yt125 pull start unraveled itself when i tried to put a new rope on. Any tips or tricks anyone can let me in on. Also just rebuilt bottom end, now dang thing wont start. Has spark, fuel, 135 psi compression, and air. Im kinda lost here.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

--
    Assuming it ran good before, maybe the engine rebuilt threw off the carb tuning? If you never had it running before, get a spark tester, one that uses a gap to test if the spark is good or not. The spark can be weak, but still appear blue/white. If it's yellow/red it's 100% poor spark.

For the pull starter, no experience with the yamaha ones, but for brigs you just put in the end of the recoil in the stopper spot that holds it, and coil it around till it's all housed in the housing.

Good luck troubleshooting your machine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Assuming it ran good before, maybe the engine rebuilt threw off the carb tuning? If you never had it running before, get a spark tester, one that uses a gap to test if the spark is good or not. The spark can be weak, but still appear blue/white. If it's yellow/red it's 100% poor spark.

For the pull starter, no experience with the yamaha ones, but for brigs you just put in the end of the recoil in the stopper spot that holds it, and coil it around till it's all housed in the housing.

Ive done plenty of brigs starters. This one is reall becoming a pain

--
    I assume it's like the starter on the YTM 200 so......

Get on YouTube and look for a video of the guys that put a nail in a piece of plywood and then use a variable speed drill to wind them up.

Get a spare set of hands, wear eye protection, wind it up with the drill and have your buddy put a long cable-tie around it when its tightly wound. Then carefully place the spring into the housing and push the spring into the grove as the cable-tie comes off.

I've done this alone and have the scars to prove it. A second set of hands should make it easy.

Get the starter fixed and then deal with the starting issue.
    It sucks to get old

--

Completely forgot about carb. Ill try retuning. I had that fuel screw out as far as i could( really needed a rebuild).pretty sure i just flooded it. Ill let you know how it pans out

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nmarciano19 View Post
    Completely forgot about carb. Ill try retuning. I had that fuel screw out as far as i could( really needed a rebuild).pretty sure i just flooded it. Ill let you know how it pans out

Yeap shes running. Man feels good to smell that smoke again

--
    Cool stuff, thanks for the report back.

Where abouts are you in Michigan? I'm in mid michigan, so bay city, midland, gladwin area.

--
    Right on the border of calhoun county with jackson county

--
    I see, you're about 2-2.5hr from me. Riding area is fairly limited where I'm at, lot more state land and orv trails north of me though. I suspect there's not much for public riding areas down there?

--
    I see, you're about 2-2.5hr from me. Riding area is fairly limited where I'm at, lot more state land and orv trails north of me though. I suspect there's not much for public riding areas down there?
    No not really got some friends with farm land and they let me ride. Ride to work sometimes since im about a 2 miles from work.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nmarciano19 View Post
    Well im back again. My yt125 pull start unraveled itself when i tried to put a new rope on. Any tips or tricks anyone can let me in on. Also just rebuilt bottom end, now dang thing wont start. Has spark, fuel, 135 psi compression, and air. Im kinda lost here.

I've re-tensioned a couple of these recoil springs, they are a pain to get right as they have to be wound enough fit in the housing slot, my method is to :

1- clear some space on a workbench, you will also need a pair of needle nose pliers.
    2-wear riggers gloves ( in case it lets go)
    3- place spring on bench same way up as was removed, with one hand covering, hold down spring on bench flat.
    4-start winding spring around ,pulling on it as you do to get more tension, but do not lift your hand that is holding it off. yet..
    5-once wound fully, with your free hand- use your needle nose pliers to hold firmly the spring all together now you can take hand off.
    6-place into recoil spring housing making sure to get the bent end on the outside to catch the stop tab before releasing pliers.

Hope this helps, regards Carl

82 Honda ATC 185s SOLD
    82 Honda ATC 185s restoration project (Restored & SOLD)
    81 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT125h (SOLD )
    82 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175J
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k (SOLD )
    85 Yamaha Tri-Z YTZ250N

--
    It helps to screw it down to a bench with long wood screws in the mounting holes. There is your extra hand. Take your time and be patient. Good luck.
    Trikefest surviver 2013 and 2014

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //