//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Need help with front hub ID

--

Need help with front hub ID

I bought an 85 250SX and it had the attached pic front hub installed on it when I purchased it, it's definitely not stock. I am looking to find a brake rotor for this hub as it was missing when I bought it. I only have a standard tape measure available but it appears to have a 4x170 bolt pattern and the rear sx hub sits on the rotor bolt pattern perfectly making me believe the rotor is a 4x110. There are no other markings on it except for the one that can be seen in the picture 7/25. The wheel that was on it was a 11" and has DID JAPAN 9 85 stamped on it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190514_224900.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	258492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190514_224830.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	650.5 KB 
ID:	258493  

--
    I looked though the 85 machines and nothing matches that layout for Honda's, they all use a tiny bolt pattern for the rotor and it's a 3 bolt pattern.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985

I don't know aftermarket parts too well, but maybe there was a big brake setup for one of the sport machines and it found it's way on your 250sx? I tried to search for a 4x170 and 4x160 front hub, but nothing comes up on ebay.

It's probably easier for you to buy a 250sx front hub, assuming your front forks are the stock setup, or switch to a 200x/350x front end to get the disk brake. Got any photos of the front end of the sx?

--
    The fork is the OE sx fork. I was more interested in the disc because it appears it has the 4x110 bolt pattern and I wanted to find one and attempt a rear disc setup as well as do a fork swap and add the front disc. Currently I only have a poorly working rear drum.

--
    I don't think I've seen anyone convert a sx/es rear end to disk brakes. As far as a source to get the disk, maybe buy a digital caliper and measure the bolt pattern accurately, center bore, and the size around you need and have it laser cut from thick sheet metal. I'm not sure if the rotors are harden at all, but it shouldn't cost too crazy of an amount for one to be cut, and the second wouldn't be much more for a spare.

How did you plan to do the rear brake setup? you couldn't use a disk directly on the hub since the rim would be flat against it. Maybe if you run wheel spacers it would work? Not sure how they normally work out, I've never really had an issue with drum brakes, just if your drum is worn out, you need another drum, same with the brake shoes. Wish there was an aftermarket option for new drums.

Anyway, if I had accurate measurements, I could probably make up a simple cad drawing for you. The software I use is free, so if you learned how to use it, you could modify the file pretty easily.

--
    There are a few people on here that have done rear SX disc upgrades. My plan was to make a spacer off the inside of one hubs then make a bracket that I can weld to the rear axle tube. I have access to solidworks and can have someone laser cut me a disc but I wasn't sure if an actual brake disc was something special or not (heat treated?). I just was hoping to find a rotor that has a 4x110 pattern so I can just use a wheel spacer to space the disc inside a few inches to clear the wheel with a caliper. There's a guy that did a setup on a 250ES on youtube also. My drum brakes work in the rear but we cross a lot of muddy water and they need constant maintenance.

--
    Could my mystery hub possibly be from a Tecate? I was looking at this post and in the picture and I cant zoom in very much but it looks similar to what I have and they are saying it has the same bolt pattern as the 200x and 350x.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...eel-tire-combo

--
    Could my mystery hub possibly be from a Tecate? I was looking at this post and in the picture it looks similar to what I have and they are saying it has the same bolt pattern as the 200x and 350x.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...eel-tire-combo

--
    I looked at a ton of front hubs on ebay, but didn't see anything that was an exact match. Yamaha tri-z also used a 4 bolt pattern rotor, but looks like the bolt pattern is smaller. I probably didn't see a tecate one so maybe. I also limited my search to 85's which covers most sport models pretty well but never know if 86 or 87 had something unique.

--
    I think in 85 the Tecate used a front drum. So far it's looking like an 86 or 87 Tecate but I cant be sure. I guess I'll just take some measurements and draw up a rotor and have it cut from stainless steel and see how well it works.

--
    Yep, I think you're onto something, 86 tecate photos seem to look very similar to that.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...0-b1/front-hub

Diagram looks a lot like it. Part number interchanges for 86-87 tecate.

Here's some ebay photos, seems like a match to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-K...-/302981388325

--
    Are the rear Tecate rotors the same as the front? I see a lot of rear rotors for sale but not that many decent used fronts that aren't too expensive.

--
    s10mods, you were almost correct above. In 1984, Tecates had a front drum brake, but in 1985, they had a front disc.

--
    Thats an 86-87 Tecate front hub.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTExMDc4-66aafcd7.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	258510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	162181104_1986-87-kawasaki-kxt250-kxt-250-tecate-oem-nos-front-.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	258509
    Last edited by atc300r; 05-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by s10mods View Post
    Are the rear Tecate rotors the same as the front? I see a lot of rear rotors for sale but not that many decent used fronts that aren't too expensive.
    Based on the part number on partzilla 86 front and rear are the same, for 87 it's front rotor only.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...dfbb15ec0b0ec5

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //