//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trevor's ATC250R pond skimming at Pastranaland

--

Trevor's ATC250R pond skimming at Pastranaland

This will probably offend alot of 250R owners.

https://youtu.be/qaHYk4jt0NU

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I saw that the other day! I was conflicted... it was amazing how much punishment it could take and keep going, but really bummed me out that they were abusing that machine so badly. Pretty cool that the 250R was the only one that could make it.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    I saw that the other day! I was conflicted... it was amazing how much punishment it could take and keep going, but really bummed me out that they were abusing that machine so badly. Pretty cool that the 250R was the only one that could make it.
    My sentiments exactly.

I guess it's a pretty good test of Honda reliability, albeit way past ideal usage, but he also busted a few hundred dollars worth of stuff in the process.

It was entertaining and cringe-worthy all at once

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Yeah I seen it too. I thought it was pretty cool. Show the young people what a real machine is.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    Pretty cool that the 250R was the only one that could make it.
    It was the only one to make it because they didn't have a, TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, there.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    This will probably offend alot of 250R owners.

https://youtu.be/qaHYk4jt0NU
    Well it looks like I now have to say that there finally is one thing the honda does better than the 86 TECATE, and that is float.

--
    Lmao! That would be cool if they did all three brands

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    It was the only one to make it because they didn't have a, TECATE...
    Given my knowledge of Tecates, and their aversion to water, the Tecate’s stator would have been dead after the first attempt.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Given my knowledge of Tecates, and their aversion to water, the Tecate’s stator would have been dead after the first attempt.
    Actually, the TECATE bikes and the stators aren't bothered by water any more than similar bikes are. I had to do many hours of water testing on it, which included riding through a shallow river about ten gazillion times and it never died, I also unintentionally ran it into a 6" deep river after which it did finally die then turn upside down and nearly sink, so after we retrieved it I drained the oil and removed the air filter, then flipped it upside down with the spark plug out and kicked it over a few times then turned it back over and kicked it some more etc and got it started pretty easily after that.

--
    POST CORRECTION CUZ I AIN'T GOT NO EDIT BUTTON

"...ran it into a 6" deep river..."

Should read:

"...ran it into a 6' deep river..."

--
    Messed up your 6" measurement again Barn
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    In the South, Rednecks do this with 540 cubic inches of Alcohol injected cast iron testicular fortitude. ....I think the truck runs on alcohol too.......

I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Messed up your 6" measurement again Barn
    Yeah, and my ol' lady has the same problem with it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Actually, the TECATE bikes and the stators aren't bothered by water any more than similar bikes are. I had to do many hours of water testing on it, which included riding through a shallow river about ten gazillion times and it never died,...
    After my friend’s ‘87 Tecate’s stator failed the first time, he started calling the stator cover “the roach motel” because, when we removed the cover, a bunch of rusty water came pouring out. So water gets in, but it doesn’t get out.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    After my friend’s ‘87 Tecate’s stator failed the first time, he started calling the stator cover “the roach motel” because, when we removed the cover, a bunch of rusty water came pouring out. So water gets in, but it doesn’t get out.
    Well the fact is that at least some water can get inside the stator cover on most bikes (including the atc250r) under some conditions UNLESS they are sealed to be water proof, which none that I know of are from the factory. The factory's typically make them "water resistant", which is not the same as "water proof", and this is because they are not building submarines, and under most typical conditions, making them "water resistant" is sufficient.

The people I know that ride their bikes thru a lot of water simply seal the cover and wire grommet so they are "water proof" to avoid any issue with that, which is obviously the intelligent thing to do.

Since he was getting water in the cover but it was not draining out, it obviously wasn't entering from the bottom of the cover, and the only place for water to enter any stator cover that does not have a leak around the cover gasket or mounting screws, is through the wire grommet, and this wire grommet is often located closer to the top of the cover than to the bottom, therefore, he should have made certain that his cover was not warped, and if it was, he should have flattened it or gotten another one that was not warped, then he should have used a very thin coat of sealer on the gasket then put the correct type of silicone around the wire grommet, and even put gaskets on the cover screws if he rides through a lot of water or spray washes the crap out of it, and whala, no more leak guaranteed.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //