//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trevor's ATC250R pond skimming at Pastranaland

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Since he was getting water in the cover but it was not draining out, it obviously wasn't entering from the bottom of the cover, and the only place for water to enter any stator cover that does not have a leak around the cover gasket or mounting screws, is through the wire grommet, and this wire grommet is often located closer to the top of the cover than to the bottom, therefore, he should have made certain that his cover was not warped, and if it was, he should have flattened it or gotten another one that was not warped, then he should have used a very thin coat of sealer on the gasket then put the correct type of silicone around the wire grommet, and even put gaskets on the cover screws if he rides through a lot of water or spray washes the crap out of it, and whala, no more leak guaranteed.
    Barnett, no need to get all defensive, and go 3 paragraphs on me. I’m not bashing here. I’m merely recounting my first-hand experience with the Tecate, and yes, obviously that’s some sound waterproofing advice.

And now another excerpt from Red Rider’s Tecate Chronicles:

At the time, we were all of 18-20 years old, and doing things on our 3-wheelers, that we had seen done in 3-wheeling magazines (jumping, sliding, drag racing, hill climbs, and blasting through streams). His Tecate was about a year old, and my 250R was almost 3 years old. We were carefree, and didn’t think about the consequences of riding through water. Where I rode, he rode, and where he rode, I rode. Both bikes were subjected to the same conditions. His stator cover leaked, and destroyed his stator. Obviously, after replacing the stator, we siliconed the cover as well to hopefully prevent it from happening again, but in his mind, his bike had earned itself a bad rap, and he didn’t trust it, so he never blasted through water again.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Barnett, no need to get all defensive,
    You are correct, which is why I am not, and never do, and it is presumptuous for you to presume that I am.

...and go 3 paragraphs on me.
    I was merely explaining how to correct the issue, because your comments made it seem to me like he had a continual problem with it that he never fixed.

At the time, we were all of 18-20 years old, and doing things on our 3-wheelers, that we had seen done in 3-wheeling magazines (jumping, sliding, drag racing, hill climbs, and blasting through streams). His Tecate was about a year old, and my 250R was almost 3 years old. We were carefree, and didn’t think about the consequences of riding through water. Where I rode, he rode, and where he rode, I rode. Both bikes were subjected to the same conditions. His stator cover leaked, and destroyed his stator. Obviously, after replacing the stator, we siliconed the cover as well to hopefully prevent it from happening again, but in his mind, his bike had earned itself a bad rap, and he didn’t trust it, so he never blasted through water again.
    You didn't mention if you both washed your bikes the same way, however, His TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, may have had an issue from day 1 with the gasket possibly not being installed correctly, or the stator screws may have come loose, or someone may have over tightened them which may have distorted the cover enough to allow water in etc. Irregardless of any of this, it is certainly possible that the slower and overall lower performance 250r does have a stator cover and/or wire grommet that seals better than the TECATE's, and if that is in fact the case, I still couldn't possibly care any less, but it would be something that the honda does in fact do better than the TECATE, and for that, all 250r owners could be proud and I would be happy for them.

Obviously, after replacing the stator, we siliconed the cover as well to hopefully prevent it from happening again, but in his mind, his bike had earned itself a bad rap, and he didn’t trust it, so he never blasted through water again.
    Well obviously his reaction was extreme and unnecessary.

--
    ...your comments made it seem to me like he had a continual problem with it that he never fixed.
    Well why would you presume that? Now look who's being presumptuous.

You didn't mention if you both washed your bikes the same way, however, His TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, may have had an issue from day 1 with the gasket possibly not being installed correctly, or the stator screws may have come loose, or someone may have over tightened them which may have distorted the cover enough to allow water in etc. Irregardless of any of this, it is certainly possible that the slower and overall lower performance 250r does have a stator cover and/or wire grommet that seals better than the TECATE's, and if that is in fact the case, I still couldn't possibly care any less, but it would be something that the honda does in fact do better than the TECATE, and for that, all 250r owners could be proud and I would be happy for them.
    That's awesome of you! Thanks for not being able to possibly care any less, yet still being happy for me, because you guessed it, my stator cover didn't leak and destroy my stator. As a matter of fact, wait, let me capitalize that so I'm speaking your language: FACT, my 250R is still on it's original stator, while being subjected to the same extreme conditions that killed 2 Tecate stators.

Well obviously his reaction was extreme and unnecessary.
    Well, not really, because the new stator only lasted about a year also, and it appears to have stayed dry.

I'm anxiously awaiting your next rebuttal, which I'm sure will be forthcoming, once you get your wits about you. Maybe you can a attach a pic or 2 also, that would be cool.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

That's awesome of you! Thanks for not being able to possibly care any less, yet still being happy for me, because you guessed it, my stator cover didn't leak and destroy my stator. As a matter of fact, wait, let me capitalize that so I'm speaking your language: FACT, my 250R is still on it's original stator, while being subjected to the same extreme conditions that killed 2 Tecate stators.

Well, not really, because the new stator only lasted about a year also, and it appears to have stayed dry.

I'm anxiously awaiting your next rebuttal, which I'm sure will be forthcoming, once you get your wits about you. Maybe you can a attach a pic or 2 also, that would be cool.

I've heard that these will reduce anxiety, but one should always consult a physician before taking any medication.

.................................................. .....................

--
    You two should get a tape meaure and go to a private room and settle this once and for all.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I've heard that these will reduce anxiety, but one should always consult a physician before taking any medication.
    Thanks, but I don't want to deplete your supply. You need them more than I do.

--
    It's on now boys, i know its Sunday however we Tecate won't be here listening to this here bullstuff any longer!
    First of all think you r guys got confused throw away those estrogen pills and put Testosterone in those R tanks...testosterone! Hqhahahahahahahaheeeheee

Next, any one that bought the Tecate already used a tape measure and won.

Also the Tecate wasn't set up for gentle splashy trail riding like the r. It was designed to be a master race winner.
    Anyone riding a Tecate knows that the stator cover was made for easy removal on the Tecate because likley you would blow the stator between race wins. That motor is the most powerful 250 motor in the universe, have you heard something like that before? So to win a blackwater race you would "have to prep for that".Simple race win maintenence.

Tecate wins again!

--
    This discussion was never a measuring stick contest, nor do I think it turned into one. And once again, all of my comments were true, and based on my experiences with one Tecate, and I didn't even change the names to protect the innocent. Have my experiences with this one particular Tecate influenced how I think about all Tecates? Probably, but in my defense, I've seen the same problems pop up time & time again on the boards here, and on Facebook. If I was a known Kawi guy, you all wouldn't have a problem with my statements, and would probably agree with me, but because I have an R avatar, you Kawasaki guys take it the wrong way. If you guys can't look past that, and take my experiences at face value, then you can suck it!

--
    Travis can afford to use ANY vehicular he wants to make his videos. He choose a Honda 250R for this one.

Why don’t those of you who are suffering over his selection start a write in campaign asking him to repeat the test with pristine stock examples of every trike ever made? I’m sure the 1,200 or so signatures will have him scrambling to make follow up video.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I heard that Trevor has several ATC250Rs. I'll bet money Travis has a couple as well.

I would be more upset if they were 86-87 T3s because there are alot less of those to go around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5858.JPG  

--
    This discussion was never a measuring stick contest, nor do I think it turned into one. And once again, all of my comments were true, and based on my experiences with one Tecate, and I didn't even change the names to protect the innocent. Have my experiences with this one particular Tecate influenced how I think about all Tecates? Probably, but in my defense, I've seen the same problems pop up time & time again on the boards here, and on Facebook. If I was a known Kawi guy, you all wouldn't have a problem with my statements, and would probably agree with me, but because I have an R avatar, you Kawasaki guys take it the wrong way. If you guys can't look past that, and take my experiences at face value, then you can suck it!
    .................................................. ......

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Travis can afford to use ANY vehicular he wants to make his videos. He choose a Honda 250R for this one.
    That's probably only because he has either never ridden a TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, or he simply considered the 250r expendable due to its average performance and low value compared to a TECATE...

--
    I didn't presume that but simple logic would cause an intelligent person to think that might be what you meant, because you left out several pertinent details which you posted AFTER I replied to your original post.

That's awesome of you! Thanks for not being able to possibly care any less...
    You are very welcome.

...yet still being happy for me, because you guessed it, my stator cover didn't leak and destroy my stator.
    I am happy for you because I truly care from the bottom of my heart how you and other honda owners feel, which is obviously completely different than not caring whether anything on a 250r is better than a TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!

As a matter of fact, wait, let me capitalize that so I'm speaking your language: FACT, my 250R is still on it's original stator, while being subjected to the same extreme conditions that killed 2 Tecate stators.

ummm...it sounds to me like you are now contradicting yourself, because you made no mention of your friend killing 2 stators by riding thru the water in your first post, therefore, the comments in your first post would lead any reasonable person to believe that the second stator you are now mentioning was NOT subjected to water, because you stated that you guys sealed the cover after the water killed the stator but he never ran thru the water again with it because he was afraid it would kill the stator.

I'm anxiously awaiting your next rebuttal..
    ok, if you want to call this post a "rebuttal" you now have it.

...which I'm sure will be forthcoming, once you get your wits about you.
    Well , actually, it appears as though it is you that needs to "get your wits about you" since it seems that you only posted a few of the facts about your friends stator at a time, and seem to contradict yourself in the process.

Maybe you can a attach a pic or 2 also, that would be cool.
    Ok, here's one for you and the other honda owners that incessantly drone on, and on, and on, and on, and on, complaining to me about TECATE stator problems. I could also post the literally hundreds of posts regarding problems with the honda CDI boxes...but because I do care about honda owners and their feelings, I will save them the embarrassment...for the moment.

.................................................. ......

Here's another one just for fun.

OMG...I think I just got a hernia!

--
    That's probably only because he has either never ridden a TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, or he simply considered the 250r expendable due to its average performance and low value compared to a TECATE...
    Or..... maybe they just picked a trike they thought was likely to make to the other side of the pond
    It sucks to get old

--
    "Thank God for Jimmy White" - The Kawasaki Tecate

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //