//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden increase in new members

--
    I'll be honest, I haven't jumped over to the FB stuff because of stories like this. Seems like most people are facebook are super lazy and lack giving details. It was bad enough with craigslist, but facebook seems to be like 10 times worse. Based on everything I've seen/heard, I'd never buy anything on FB without photos. If people can't post accurate info about general help topics, how would they even know what they have or how to describe the condition? I wasn't there for all of that, but sounds like that's a group I'll avoid, I live in America, so I expect freedom of speech, not getting banned because someone doesn't like that I bought parts lol.

Is there a general like 3ww fb group or like 3 wheelers in general group? Maybe we should make one and call people out on their BS replies and try to weed out the incorrect info etc and make something actually good on FB? Probably a ton of time/effort to get something to a good point though. Personally I'd rather use a forum anyway, I like sections being split out, instead of just a wall of a million posts.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Such colorful and elegant prose.

Since you posted something about me around the time that robby tienharra posted his infantile and inaccurate rant about me, I'm guessing you saw what he posted, and since you asked, I will gladly post the actual facts I know about the situation along with my best guesses about some aspects of it.

Another member on that site posted some TECATE parts for sale claiming he was doing it on behalf of his friend. In the parts collection there was a first gen Bassani pipe that was described as being very nice with just a couple minor dings which ended up being completely hammared, and a Bassani silencer that was described as having a crack or something minor and needing a simple weld to repair it but was also hammared, another pipe he claimed was for a TECATE which ended up not being a TECATE pipe, and 2 front fenders that were modified of which he said one could easily be polished to look very nice which it couldn't. I saw the ad maybe around 30 minutes after it was posted, so just like several other people eventually did, I contacted him and asked about the parts including the pipes, silencer, and fenders.

The seller contacted me a short while later and I told him I was interested in both pipes, the silencer, and both front fenders, so he described the parts (grossly inaccurately) to me, and also told me that he had already been contacted by a couple other people that were interested in the Bassani pipe but he did not tell me who these people were nor did I ask, but from what I can remember and could piece together later, it seemed like tienharra may have been one of the people that contacted the seller before I did. The seller also told me that he had not received a deposit from anyone for the pipe and that nobody told him they were sending money for it right away, so I merely asked him if he would sell me both pipes, the silencer, and both fenders if I sent him money via paypal right away and he said yes, so immediately after our discussion, I took the risk that the parts were accurately described and that the seller would actually send them, and I sent him the payment in full.

After tienharra found out the seller sold the parts to me, he got pissed off because he missed out on them and blocked me from the site (or had doug creel block me) to try and "get even" with me and to prevent me from buying any other parts he might be interested in. He then made that childish, inaccurate, and potentially libelous post about me in an attempt to discredit me. Unfortunately for him, if he did in fact contact the seller before I did, he could have sent the seller the money right away, in which case the pipe would have been his IF the seller was an honest person, which it turns out he wasn't, so it's impossible to know for certain what the seller did or what he told tienharra. The seller may have conversed with tienharra after I bought the parts, and if so, my guess is that the seller lied to tienharra about what transpired in hopes of preventing tienharra from being so pissed off at him that he would block him from the site as well.

Shortly after this situation, someone posted an ebay link to an 86 TECATE swingarm on that site that I modified to fit a first gen, and several people attacked it saying things like I was trying to rip people off with the exorbitant price I was asking, and someone else posted something like they could make the same thing and sell it for around half as much as I was asking (which I think was around $750.00) and still make money on it, but oddly enough I still haven't seen him or anyone else do that. I'm guessing they were also a bit surprised when it sold for full price with 48 hours. After receiving it, the buyer was kind enough to leave me positive feedback and generous praise.

Here's a photo of the better fender that I was told cold easily be polished to look very nice.

Here's a photo of the swingarm after I finished it that someone said they could replicate and sell for around half of what I was asking. I certainly hope they do cuz I will buy every one of them for their paltry $350.00 or so asking price...if I can.

No, I didn't see what caused your demise. I just figured you finally found your place to discuss flywheel magnets and locitite with like minded folks, and then you were gone.

--
    Anyone who claims to be able to make that swingarm for $350 (with any amount of quality) and also claim to be making a profit....or even breaking even would be a conflagrating liar.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    You do have to keep in mind open statements like that can have special cases. For example, the effects of mass production, if a company is making say 20,000 units, they can probably make them a lot cheaper than $350 each, however if it's just say 5-50 qty, it's a totally different story. I've seen it first hand with getting price quotes from companies that will manufacture parts based on a 3D CAD model. Like a plastic injection mold for one of the things I was checking said 1 qty was like $7000 because of setup, mold cost etc, but 1000 qty was like $10000 and the price dropped quick with more qty.

--
    I worked in tool & die for 12 years or so and understand production.......but who's making multiple thousands of anything 3 wheeler oriented anymore? Unless it has multiple "other" applications, I'd say no one.

--
    Ironically to date, I've sold about 1000 ignition switches for the ATC200ES and similar machines, it's my best selling part and has quite a lot of machines that uses the same part number. But yea, no way 1000s of swing arms for any 3 wheeler I'm sure.

Kind of funny, my grandpa was tool & die at GM in Detroit.

--
    I don’t miss the work but I DO miss access to the machines and tooling for my personal projects. Lol!!!

--
    Yea my dad still has a lot of tools and stuff my grandpa made back then. I just found out the 12 gauge shot gun that I see around my dad's place has a wood stock my grampa made out of curly walnut wood. I thought it was the stock stock for the gun, nice tight fit and matches the gun etc. It's very light, so it really kicks when shot lol.

My dad keeps mentioning things he could do with a metal lathe, so maybe some time he or we will invest in one and be able to get some metal lathe time and experience. He needs a mill too. CNC would be awesome to have around.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Anyone who claims to be able to make that swingarm for $350 (with any amount of quality) and also claim to be making a profit....or even breaking even would be a conflagrating liar.
    Yup, they were obviously extremely envious and/or extremely "un-intelligent", lol, but as I'm sure you know, envy makes some people say and/or do some strange and unprofessional things. The case of robby tienharra blocking me from the tecate facebook page so I couldn't buy any more parts that he may want is one good example.

--
    To do it RIGHT you’d have more than that in just the welding jig.
    Then you’d have machining fixtures to make for fast repeatable work.
    Looks like you’d need a precision ground alignment gauge for the rear.
    Again....to do it right ......it’s not a simple slap together fix.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    To do it RIGHT you’d have more than that in just the welding jig.
    Then you’d have machining fixtures to make for fast repeatable work.
    Looks like you’d need a precision ground alignment gauge for the rear.
    Again....to do it right ......it’s not a simple slap together fix.
    I'm not sure who you are addressing this post to, but as far as modifying the stock arm goes on a small quantity basis, there aren't any fixtures necessary, because the arm would obviously be hand welded, plus it won't warp during the welding process because it is ridiculously strong in stock form. I did some of the engineering on the stock arm on the prototype 86 KXT250 that I had to go to Japan for to do what was supposed to be a simple, short test on, which ended up being 2 weeks of hell followed by a few more months of hell back in the US because the prototype was a pos, and I had to have them redesign literally around 50% of the machine to my criteria to make it acceptable for production, but unfortunately, due to production schedules I ran out of time to try and fix at least one of issues I still wanted to improve upon.

The hardest part of modifying the stock arm to fit the first gen's so it would be even stronger and not bend or break at the new shock mount position or from a wider axle etc, was engineering the mod. It looks quite simple if you see the completed item, and it is, but it took a bit of thought to determine the best overall way to do it.

--
    I wouldn't get too excited about any increase in new members..... Most of them will bail eventually.

Maybe take a look at the posts..... New people sometimes wait two or three days to get a question answered while sticky subjects that can be turned into arguments are wildly popular and visited the most often with replies minutes apart. You get no points for knowledge, you only need to prove you aren't a "sheeple" or show your Woke Card to get in on the fight club.

I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people? Tell them to "go do a search"? Really? Or "get off my lawn"?

We're like a giant lemonade stand trying to sell cups of water because we pissed off all the lemon pickers.

Flame me all you want, but if I was a new dude and I came in here and saw that banner and got all excited because this place LOOKS top notch, I'm going to be disappointed after reading the posts and would probably just give up and call it lame ....and I'm not going to wait 90 days and ten posts before I can participate while I hope it gets less lame

This thread is now about whether or not Rubbie Tienhara is a dickhead.....who cares?

Not my forum though, and if that kind of thing makes you happy, good luck. I wish no ill will but again, I ask:

What the actual F**k do we have to offer new people?

Like buttons? Social reinforcement?

WTF was the mission statement again?
    Last edited by ironchop; 05-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I think it is hilarious to see the same names, (banned from here) get pissed about their ban here, run away bitching about being banned here, start a FB group, then turn around and ban people.
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    What do you have to have to do to get banned around here?
    Ive been a member of several different forums over the years and this place is pretty darn lax.
    Not many forums would take Glamy in; let alone pet him and feed him like 3WW.

--
    I'm not sure about other people/thread/posts, but when someone posts an issue, I try to work it out with them, like I'd do in real life. If I happen to know a thread of the same issue I'd link it for them to read over. Accurate info is a lot better than BS try to be smart remarks. Like those FB groups talk about the 87 atc250r like it was mass produced or something, at least the one I scanned over.

I'll admit though, this site isn't exactly a smooth well oiled machine, there's a lot of rickety bits. Like simple PMs you can't attach photos to, the 3ww shop has a lot of ease of usability issues for the sellers, and apparently the buyers too. I sometimes see people making 5-10 orders before one gets paid. My normal web store I've never seen any issues like that. I've offered to help with the programming for free but the subject always changes, probably lack of trust or something, and I fully understand that. I've heard from several sources that the site isn't really being worked on at all, so it will fall behind in tech. The site has a million features that really aren't needed, like a blog is just a form post, but you never see the new posts in the blogs, same thing with groups. Too many features, not enough members, so it looks like a ghost town.

I'm not really one to rant pubically, I don't even use facebook/twitter/instigram etc, but I figured while we were on the subject why not. This is kind of the reason I've been making sites targeted at giving people the info the need and can be indexed by google, this site could go away at any time and there's not really a solid bank of solid info anywhere else on the net that I'm aware of, it's more with the members of the site. I've thought about making my own forum with a simplified layout like a hybrid between facebook and this forum and of course have a solid chat system at the top of the page so people can publically chat super easy with the option of private convos. Anyway, I haven't really done it because I really hate stepping on toes and such. I don't want a situation where there's a 3ww, 3w.org, and my site feud. Fighting gets no where in life, coming up with solutions and compromises is what gets things settled.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems like there should be a "common issues" type of thread/page that lists common issues with the different machines and link to threads or details of how to test and validate the problem and what the solution is. That will probably be part of my atvmanual.com site once I get it off it's feet with wire diagrams and basic tech info and such. I figured if the site got popular, then I'd throw a forum on it, if not it will just be an info delivering site. I haven't been in the whole website stuff for a little bit, so I have to learn more about well designed sites for mobile + tablet + pc so things actually work right for everyone, before it was just make sure things worked right for all browsers (IE, Mozilla, Chrome, etc).

I might be opening a can of warms with this, no clue what kind of response to expect.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //