//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden increase in new members

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people?
    With forums, at least any information posted on them, can be found again. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find that info, if you don't know the exact wording, or poster's name, but the info is still there. On FB, everything gets lost & buried so easily. It's a really frustrating, horrible format. And then there's the prevalence of texting shorthand, lack of punctuation, and misspelled words (that happens here too) that make the posts you can find, basically unreadable anyway. The only thing FB has over forums is, it's a bit easier to post pictures.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Also so many people have FB that they already have an account, but there's plugins to use FB for login for forums. You can probably post videos on FB easier too. The nesting of replies I kind of like on FB, it's more of the OLD style of how forums worked.

The quote system on the forums is also a bit meh, like how it was used in the post above me is how I use it, some people want to quote like the first post with a million photos and bloats up the page just to say thanks for the info or whatever. There isn't exactly a perfect system out there, everything has pros and cons.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    What ..........What ?
    Now Glamy...don't be mad.....

I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    With forums, at least any information posted on them, can be found again. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to find that info, if you don't know the exact wording, or poster's name, but the info is still there. On FB, everything gets lost & buried so easily. It's a really frustrating, horrible format. And then there's the prevalence of texting shorthand, lack of punctuation, and misspelled words (that happens here too) that make the posts you can find, basically unreadable anyway. The only thing FB has over forums is, it's a bit easier to post pictures.
    Yeah I understand that. I don't have a Facebook page anymore, though so I can't comment on what the experience is like.... but what I'm trying to say is that we can get increased traffic thanks to people being tired of FB trike pages but if their only other alternative to seek help with their issues is here where I've watched dozens upon dozens of people just stop posting, then we are going to die of attrition.

I know some people drift in and drift out of love with trikes or maybe life happens but we can't ignore the fact that some people are simply driven away from here because they are sick of reading our dick-swinging contests with each other.

For example, Pirate 4x4 is another great resource but I won't post there because I'm tired of wading thru twenty "FU, dumazz"/"your a queer" replies before you get a straight answer.... Mostly from people who would never utter that stuff to my face. This place is going that route right now.

Then we try and comfort ourselves by saying things like "they're too sensitive" or "why you mad, bro?"..... The fact remains that some people get tired of abrasive people and they take the smoother lane of travel. We can call them triggered sissies and revel in our own Alpha glow while we jack each other off.... Then when we run out of people to harass, we turn on each other.....OR we could give people a better reason to come here than saying FaceLog Sucks

So new people come in and all they see is us calling each other names or just being general dicks (I'm JUST AS GUILTY, MYSELF) and I think it sends the wrong message.

If you're a sixteen year old kid with no dad who bought a 125M from a garage sale with his lawn mowing money and have no idea how to fix it, you're probably not going to pipe up and ask "dumb questions" if you think we might jump on you. How many women do you know that want to interrupt a "f**k you" contest between four guys to ask where she can find a toolbox strap for her ATC110?

I KNOW this place is leaps and bounds above FaceLog for information but if you have gangsters guarding the door to the library, how many nerdy kids do you think will want to try to check out a book?

Just my opinion but we might consider being less f***in threatening for starters. Play to your audience.

Not directed AT you, Red Rider... I'm just making a general observation
    Last edited by ironchop; 05-21-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling

--
    Pirate 4X4 is a joke......but entertaining.

Caferacer.net seems to be calmer.....but that may be due to the cafe scene kinda going "bye bye"

The 3 wheeler fad is definitely slowing dow....or at least all the frantic hoopla is gone. Nothing much left to do but talk about rectal aliens and 911....and some 110 rear brakes thrown in. Use to be a lot more build threads when I started...or at least excitement about them. Now it's just quick questions then they are gone. May not have anything to do with dick swinging contests

--
    I think most people join to get help with their machine, if they don't find something else to talk about, they leave. If they lock in on a few threads they are more likely to stick around.

Back when I ran another forum (gaming related) long long ago, something like 60% of accounts had 0 posts, but we had the "good info" behind post walls to prevent leechers and such. This stuff is real life so not really a need for any restrictions. I think it would be neat just to mark new member threads with a small icon or something like ebay does for new seller's. Not to say anything about the person, but for people that are responding can focus on them a little more to ensure everyone feels welcomed and at least can get some replies to their posts.

I try to scan though the sections once in a while, even month old posts for any with zero replies, and give at least the best reply I can give so at least someone interacted with them.

Anyway, everything rides on leadership, when was the last time you've seen the owner of the site around? I hate to point fingers at Billy, but maybe it's time to let someone else steer the site if he lost interest or whatever. If not a new site could pop up and take over pretty easily. It's a little like a business, when the owner is a working owner that works right next to the people he pays, things normally go smoothly because they can see eye to eye pretty well, and the boss/owner can really see where the needs are for the workers. A CEO that never leaves their office and just looks at numbers is so disconnected from the workers that they have to make cuts and the workers hate it and makes it one of the "they are doing cuts again" where all upper management is lumped together as bad/evil which more or less is how the worker feels about the whole business.

I think the 3 wheeler fad is still quite strong, just look at the prices, just so many people seemed to have moved to facebook instead of forum based sites. Like some facebook groups are 10-20k people and there's a ton of groups. I think for this site to be better, we need leadership to lead by example and such.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about any increase in new members..... Most of them will bail eventually.

Maybe take a look at the posts..... New people sometimes wait two or three days to get a question answered while sticky subjects that can be turned into arguments are wildly popular and visited the most often with replies minutes apart. You get no points for knowledge, you only need to prove you aren't a "sheeple" or show your Woke Card to get in on the fight club.

I mean honestly, WTF do we even have to offer these new people? Tell them to "go do a search"? Really? Or "get off my lawn"?

We're like a giant lemonade stand trying to sell cups of water because we pissed off all the lemon pickers.

Flame me all you want, but if I was a new dude and I came in here and saw that banner and got all excited because this place LOOKS top notch, I'm going to be disappointed after reading the posts and would probably just give up and call it lame ....and I'm not going to wait 90 days and ten posts before I can participate while I hope it gets less lame

This thread is now about whether or not Rubbie Tienhara is a dickhead.....who cares?

Not my forum though, and if that kind of thing makes you happy, good luck. I wish no ill will but again, I ask:

What the actual F**k do we have to offer new people?

Like buttons? Social reinforcement?

WTF was the mission statement again?
    The stupid waiting period for new posters was a bad idea then and still is now.

In my opinion, it was so the mods could be lazy and keep all the newbs in one confined area. Then all the mods bailed anyway.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    The stupid waiting period for new posters was a bad idea then and still is now.
    I agree 110%, and I am confident that the waiting period here drives some people away. Who wants to wait 6 weeks or even 6 days to get help with their bike etc. Then you have to make 10 posts to be able to do something else special here etc.

As far as the facebook forums go, from what little I have seen of them, the majority of the posts are just to say, "I saw a tecate today", or "Here's a photo of a phillips screw I just detailed" etc, then around 287 bazillion comments saying "oooh" or "ahhh" or "That's the schnizzel" or whatever.

I think this is far and away the best 3 wheeler site there is, and only needs a few changes to improve it, like getting rid of the waiting period and the 10 post requirement, and maybe removing some of the forums to reduce the clutter and possible confusion they may cause some people who might wonder which one of the 132 different forums they have here is the best one to post in.

Irregardless of what happens here, it seems to me that many of the younger people will still prefer the facebook forums because they seem to me to be more of a social gathering place.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Heres whats sucks ..........they get all pissed off when they hear something they don`t like..........people refusing to do things like leak down or they withhold information about the bike ..........yeah i gots a big bore .........machined cases ? .......no stock cases !...............ok you just said big bore.............look at the manual ...........look at it .........don`t look at me .............Captweezy - did you look at it ?............look at it..........ya friggin .........never-mind ! ........parts is parts ......what kind of parts ?.................Chicken parts !
    Yeah I was thinking about that too.

Those kind of posters are living clickbait. They suck is in just enough to get our brains rolling in thought, eager to help only to have them totally go 'Loganm' and insist on fitting a piston they filed into a square and don't know why they have no compression.

Then we end up ignoring other people who aren't so stubbornly ignorant or we're just too spent to deal with anyone else.

I think they just sh*tpost for fun or attention.

That's a conundrum.
    Last edited by ironchop; 05-21-2019 at 07:50 PM.

--
    It's not the waiting period......it's not the waiting period at all in my opinion.

I started a recomissioning thread for my 200X in the new members section a couple of weeks after I joined the forum. I helped folks and folks helped me. I got to know folks and shared my project with everyone.....way different than just popping in with a question and no photos, etc.

It seemed back then that folks were having build threads, projects going on...making things intersting. Some will always cherish and place a high value on 3 wheelers........ but the frantic excitement of a few years ago by many over hobby seems quiet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    It's not the waiting period......it's not the waiting period at all in my opinion.

I started a recomissioning thread for my 200X in the new members section a couple of weeks after I joined the forum. I helped folks and folks helped me. I got to know folks and shared my project with everyone.....way different than just popping in with a question and no photos, etc.

It seemed back then that folks were having build threads, projects going on...making things intersting. Some will always cherish and place a high value on 3 wheelers........ but the frantic excitement of a few years ago by many over hobby seems quiet
    I can assure you that there are still builds going on. I get texts from members here literally every week of some pic of something they just built or refinished/aquired.

They aren't posting it here.

It's not because the work isn't top notch or relevant either. For whatever reason, and I don't ask, they just don't go through the effort to post their progress here. That's a real problem that should be addressed because these are all great members in good standing but who've chosen to go radio silent for whatever reason. They just share with a select few I'm assuming to avoid something here.

I can't speak for anyone, these are assumptive comments.

One guy, has built four or five OUTSTANDING builds for himself and others within the last three years... The kind of thing that should be in our feeds everyday. Maybe this person will chime in on why they won't post much anymore like the once did.

All I know, is that there's trike work going on in my friends garages but it sure doesn't look that way in the feed

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What do you have to have to do to get banned around here?
    It’s not that hard. The most recent trend is to ban oneself for periods of up to one year.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I agree 110%, and I am confident that the waiting period here drives some people away. Who wants to wait 6 weeks or even 6 days to get help with their bike etc. Then you have to make 10 posts to be able to do something else special here etc.

As far as the facebook forums go, from what little I have seen of them, the majority of the posts are just to say, "I saw a tecate today", or "Here's a photo of a phillips screw I just detailed" etc, then around 287 bazillion comments saying "oooh" or "ahhh" or "That's the schnizzel" or whatever.

I think this is far and away the best 3 wheeler site there is, and only needs a few changes to improve it, like getting rid of the waiting period and the 10 post requirement, and maybe removing some of the forums to reduce the clutter and possible confusion they may cause some people who might wonder which one of the 132 different forums they have here is the best one to post in.

Irregardless of what happens here, it seems to me that many of the younger people will still prefer the facebook forums because they seem to me to be more of a social gathering place.
    For once, I am in complete agreence with you.

--
    I think you are correct chop. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of social gradificaton when posting something such as that. What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest. I wasn't here in the day when everyone was building, posting and contributing so I really don't have anything to compare to other than old threads. I would love to see some of those FB folks on here and be able to share ideas, thoughts and pics. I would much rather do it on this site than FB just because I appreciate the maturity and knowledge of the members here. Speaking of maturity I would guess the average age of most of us on here is 50+ and maybe that's what scares others away. Maybe it's because of wealth of knowledge not so much the lack of. Maybe most of you have evolved so much in your knowledge that a question about a proper chain length is beyond you. I say you because I'm not even close to putting myself in the same league as most of you ..
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I think you are correct chop. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of social gradificaton when posting something such as that. What I mean is if I were to post a build and only get a comment or two I would probably not continue to post if there is no interest. I wasn't here in the day when everyone was building, posting and contributing so I really don't have anything to compare to other than old threads.
    We had more participation back then partly, in my opinion, because we didn't have the 'like' and 'thanks' buttons yet. The idea behind those was to give fair time to all the threads at the top of the feed by curtailing all the "attaboy" and "l like" or "I hate" replies, replacing them with buttons thereby lowering the number of extraneous replies in a thread. That way a thread doesn't keep getting refreshed to the top every time somebody wanted to express their approval of something. A popular thread gets compliment heavy and light in substance while a more specific question gets buried at the bottom of the feed while everyone insists on telling Johnny how cool his three wheeler is. I think it had the unintended consequences of making it appear like nobody GAF.

Like buttons really mess with people. We should go back to cluttering threads up with 'attaboys' or 'yer trike is junk'

Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Maybe most of you have evolved so much in your knowledge that a question about a proper chain length is beyond you.
    Historically, it would just get turned into a huge argument even if they did

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //