//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden increase in new members

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    That's a pretty interesting observation and gives me something to think about...
    I don't think the likes and dislikes buttons are much of an issue. Yes, they reduce the number of actual posts, however, if it is on a tech thread where someone is needing information, and people make posts replying to others that offer information they like, it then adds unnecessary posts that the op or other people in need of help for a similar problem have to go thru to find the posts with the info they want. This isn't as much of an issue with 1 or even 2 page threads, but becomes more problematic the longer the thread is.

In other words, I think there are far better things to focus on if changes are to be made than getting rid of the likes and dislikes buttons, such as the waiting period and the 10 post requirement for new members as bkm originally mentioned. Also, if you consider making any changes, it might be a good idea to take a poll to see what the people that actually use the site think about them before you make them.

Here's just a couple examples of rarely used forums that serve little purpose that you could consider eliminating or combining.

THIS VS THAT - Has a whopping 9 threads since 3-11-2017, so that forum seems kinda pointless to me.

FRACAS ESTABLISHMENT - Has a total of 19 threads since the first one was posted on 6-9-2017

TRIKE FEST SPECIFIC and TRIKE FEST DOCUMENTARY - Possibly these two forums could be combined.

SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK QUESTIONS - Has no threads at all and you already have a SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK AND NEW FEATURE forum anyway.

NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA

NEW MEMBER COMMENCEMENT - I seriously doubt that more than a small handful of regular members even ever look at this, and I doubt that anyone seriously cares what someones bio is, like where they live or why they like trikes so much or what their job is etc.

--
    I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.
    If it is mandatory that someone post in the new member commencement area before they post elsewhere, I think that at the very least that restriction should be removed and make posting there an option instead of a requirement. Also, I for one don't like much of anything that reminds me of school or formal occasions etc, and I'm guessing that some new members don't either, so I would prefer that the word Commencement be changed to Introduction, if that forum stayed.

--
    POST CORRECTION CUZ I STILL AIN'T GOTZ NO EDIT BUTTON

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA"

Should read:

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESYLVANIA - Other than their names being different, these forums seem basically identical to me, so perhaps they could be combined."

--
    Yea that's what I meant, the restrictions are user based instead of applied to the sections. I'm not sure if it would work well here, but I suspect a hybrid between forum and social media would be like 3-5 pretty general titled sections total on the site. For example, like General Chat, Trikesylvania, Off Topic. If I made a new forum today, I'd target a format something like that, simple for the cellphone users, and low number of sections so activity appears good. If the site is popular though, not sure how good the design would be.

My target on here is for a thread not to go with no replies. I know how crappy it feels to ask something and get no response at all, even a "I don't know but I think this" type of reply is better than nothing.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Way to prove me wrong Billy, I should have went to your profile and make sure I had the facts right, looks like around 1 post per day average, just most of the posts are in sections I'm rarely in. I defiantly stand behind some updates though. Vbulletin is big name software, but I haven't worked with it lately to know if there's anything to make it a better mobile experience or not, but clearly smart phones has been a huge effect. Also, yep I'm on a laptop/desktop, no way I'd ever try to type these messages on a cellphone, I'd have 15 pages of text to reread for all the auto correct mistakes lol.

Also for a side note, 3wheeler.org is effectively offline now, so this is one of the only 3 wheeler sites around. I've talked to more people than I'd care to admit that says they won't post here because of drama, no clue what all the situations are though.

No - some of your comments were completely justified. I freely admit I have not been around here a lot lately, but far cry from having given up on it. The BS over the years has contributed some to my lack of being here also for sure. But it's mostly convenience I'd say.

vBulletin is effectively dead. There are some alternatives, the original development team now has a suite called XenForo. 3 years ago or so I spent a few hundred bucks in purchasing version 1.x and several addons to attempt to replace basic functionality of this forum and test out and see how it would work on Xenforo porting our data. I even worked with a programmer/consultant that ported large vB communities for a little bit. I was not impressed. It had not matured enough yet and there was not enough real world application of some of the replacement products to match this platform for me to feel good about switching. They've since released version 2.0 and I have not revisited it yet. The bones of it seem to be good and it is a lot more user and mobile friendly, modern code base, passionate addon community and developers, but there was tons of functionality here we would not have had when I looked at it. No user groups, no albums, no real article or front page system, no calendar (use to be useful for sharing Trikefest and other local ride events) just a lot of stuff didn't transfer over well. Like you could import stuff from here to Xenforo, but there wasn't a good way to re-integrate it or use it in a similar manner as there has been here. Here is my post infact on their forum when I was trying things out: https://xenforo.com/community/thread...is-long.70714/

I still think this may be the best platform for us to migrate to, but it will be a 100% departure from anything familiar here if that happens...https://xenforo.com/community/ So that's a bit of a challenge.

--
    I've seen xenforo a bit, never been on the admin side much though. I started off with Vbull for side projects, but modding it etc is a pain. Mybb was super easy to add say a landing page manually and still have access to like member info, logged in status etc. That's more of the manual approach though, not sure how great the plugins are, I generally setup sites with a bare min setup and only add a few things. Higher security, and used to be a performance thing, but servers are power houses now so that shouldn't be a problem as long as the database is designed pretty well.

My orig post was meant like you're only here on a week or less, when I checked your profile, clearly you still get on the site often with the ~1 post per day. There's always room for improvement, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Using "too much drama" as an excuse to criticize or leave a forum is pretty lame in my narrow minded view. From my limited view of it, Facebook has just as much, if not more drama as any forum I belong to. (try visiting AR15.com General Discussion sometime) The thing is, with facebook the drama gets scrolled out of the main page in a matter of minutes if not seconds. On a forum all the posts are there to see and don't disappear unless it's deleted or the thread is locked.

The best thing, well one of the best things, about those that complain about too much "drama"? How hard is it to check the fack out of a thread you don't like? Seriously. Hit the back button, go back to the main forum page and find something you deem to be more appealing instead of creating drama about the drama, FFS.

There are some subjects that people are very passionate about and a middle ground will never be found, Religion, politics and oil, to name a few.

How to avoid drama:

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Yea it's a weird excuse, I think what they mean is someone they can't get along with uses the forums, so they left to avoid the person or whatever. I see what they meant though, I saw one of them post and people out of the wood work started bashing them out of nowhere, but like I said, I don't really know the context. I wouldn't let that bother me much, there is an ignore member feature on the site.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Yea it's a weird excuse, I think what they mean is someone they can't get along with uses the forums, so they left to avoid the person or whatever. I see what they meant though, I saw one of them post and people out of the wood work started bashing them out of nowhere, but like I said, I don't really know the context. I wouldn't let that bother me much, there is an ignore member feature on the site.
    What he said
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    There are some subjects that people are very passionate about and a middle ground will never be found... ...oil

OMG...there goes my spleen!

--
    Well then maybe we should just bash the F**k out of whoever shows up and if they don't have thick enough skin, then we throw them out... But don't complain when you got six frocking people left on here to talk to.

Frankly, I don't care too awful much after this post. I'm mostly just wasting my breath. I don't post in open forum about most topic, not because I have "thin skin".... It's because I have a huge temper and no, I'm not going to kiss and make up at trikefest. I ain't never been one to back down and that goes especially for being in person.

The people on the open forum pretending like you need some sorry ass "Woke Card" or else you're an idiot..... See I don't get my feelings hurt for being called an idiot. What I WILL DO is have a conversation to your face about the problem.

I'm not "ignoring" anyone either because the three people I ever ignored in 14 yrs on this forum pretty much monopolized every damn post in this place. WTF is the point of opening a 40 reply thread to have 28 posts blocked out?

Facebook means nothing to me so I'm not going to sit and make a chart between this place and FB and look for the pros and cons. Facebook is where people who crave attention go to get social reinforcement and to virtue signal each other.

I will also not argue with idiots. I don't care what your little mommies told you growing up about how special and unique you are, but I just don't give a about how woke or well versed in YouTube drivel you are. Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz. They can argue with themselves.

If you want to call that "thin-skinned", go ahead. We both know the internet is a safe space for people with mouths.

Is Billy Golightly thin skinned too? He said he doesnt care for the BS and that he didn't stop in as much because he has better things to do so I guess the owner of the forum should man up?

I don't let someone come to my home and call me an idiot without them getting a slap, so why would I gay up in this place so that people won't say I'm "thin-skinned"

So I guess I'm one of those people who use "too much drama" as an excuse to stop posting in certain areas and much less than historically in other areas.

If I want to sit and argue about stupid things that ultimately don't matter or stroke the egos of people, I'll spend more time with my wife and less time online. At least I occasionally get a sexual favor from her for my troubles as opposed to here, so I have even less tolerance for the drama all up in imaginary unicorn internet land.

Do as you will. You know what's up already so if this all goes in the toilet, then you shouldn't be surprised... All I said was that maybe we should stop being dickheads. The general consensus seems to be "people are to easily offended"..... Yeah I agree, however we tried being dicks for the last 8 yrs and this place hemmorhaged users like a gunshot wound to the carotid. I guess folks would rather keep trying the same thing while expecting change

And nobody left this place because the software was bad. SMMFH
    Last edited by ironchop; 05-25-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro spelling

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Well then maybe we should just bash the F**k out of whoever shows up and if they don't have thick enough skin, then we throw them out... But don't complain when you got six frocking people left on here to talk to.

Frankly, I don't care too awful much after this post. I'm mostly just wasting my breath. I don't post in open forum about most topic, not because I have "thin skin".... It's because I have a huge temper and no, I'm not going to kiss and make up at trikefest. I ain't never been one to back down and that goes especially for being in person.

The people on the open forum pretending like you need some sorry ass "Woke Card" or else you're an idiot..... See I don't get my feelings hurt for being called an idiot. What I WILL DO is have a conversation to your face about the problem.

I'm not "ignoring" anyone either because the three people I ever ignored in 14 yrs on this forum pretty much monopolized every damn post in this place. WTF is the point of opening a 40 reply thread to have 28 posts blocked out?

Facebook means nothing to me so I'm not going to sit and make a chart between this place and FB and look for the pros and cons. Facebook is where people who crave attention go to get social reinforcement and to virtue signal each other.

I will also not argue with idiots. I don't care what your little mommies told you growing up about how special and unique you are, but I just don't give a about how woke or well versed in YouTube drivel you are. Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz. They can argue with themselves.

If you want to call that "thin-skinned", go ahead. We both know the internet is a safe space for people with mouths.

Is Billy Golightly thin skinned too? He said he doesnt care for the BS and that he didn't stop in as much because he has better things to do so I guess the owner of the forum should man up?

I don't let someone come to my home and call me an idiot without them getting a slap, so why would I gay up in this place so that people won't say I'm "thin-skinned"

So I guess I'm one of those people who use "too much drama" as an excuse to stop posting in certain areas and much less than historically in other areas.

If I want to sit and argue about stupid things that ultimately don't matter or stroke the egos of people, I'll spend more time with my wife and less time online. At least I occasionally get a sexual favor from her for my troubles as opposed to here, so I have even less tolerance for the drama all up in imaginary unicorn internet land.

Do as you will. You know what's up already so if this all goes in the toilet, then you shouldn't be surprised... All I said was that maybe we should stop being dickheads. The general consensus seems to be "people are to easily offended"..... Yeah I agree, however we tried being dicks for the last 8 yrs and this place hemmorhaged users like a gunshot wound to the carotid. I guess folks would rather keep trying the same thing while expecting change

Is this directed at me? I'm kind of dense admittedly and a bit touched so I may need things spelled out more than most others...

In any case, people not being dicks in general would surely be helpful to the existing and also new membership.

--
    I was kind of questioning the same thing for myself lol. I don't think I'm too abrasive though.

--

I'm not sure if any of your post pertains to my post, but I would like to clarify just a wee bit:

I'm not advocating people visiting here should be treated like crap. I think a lot of us where "hazed"(for lack of a better term) when we first showed up here. Hell it seems to be SOP when you're a noob on a forum to get a rash of shyte when you first join, sort of a rite of passage much like when you join a new group of friends, a new friend joins your group, or you get on a different crew at work.

My main point was focused on the ones who whine about "drama", and that definitely ain't you 'chop.

A while back we had some *cough* spirited discussions going and we'd have members pop in just to say sh!t like "This is why people don't stay on 3WW! Too much drama!! fakebook is better!! They wouldn't add anything to the discussion, or very little. Just make a post about the drama and that's it.

Saying you want a discussion, monopolizing the conversation, and then getting pissed because someone doesn't bow before the great and powerful Oz.
    This is the bigger problem, and most everybody here knows who the perps are.

There are times when I've had my fill of the above mentioned BS and I tip da fack out of a thread. Insecure little beeyotches ain't worth it. I'm sure they take it as a victory and stroke their infantile, miniscule little egos and makes them feel like they have some kind of power. It's actually rather sad.

So should we stop being dicks? Wait, I have a better idea! The individuals who are being dicks should knock it the fack off. It's not like the whole membership does it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //