//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden increase in new members

--
    Yep, there's defo a gold mine of info stored here. I'm tempted to make a bot to scrape the site of data, just to have a personal copy of the posts as an archive lol. I could delete the junk as I run across it that way =).

I grew up in the country, basically everyone out here is thick skinned. Get anywhere near a fair sized city and everyone is offended at everything. It's so bad, if you say a Mexican speaks Spanish they get offended for the Mexican, even though they don't know that they do speak Spanish. I'm floored at some of the stuff I've seen and just how bad it is out there. California has an interesting group of people, I'll leave a Mark Dice "social experiment" video here and you be the judge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvea_QWF4g

Maybe one more, have to love his "thanks for demonstrating that" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CdfsCz1oKo

He does a lot of political related stuff, I tried to stay a little clear from that, but the personalities seem to relate to their political stance quite a bit.

--
    That’s twice Barnes. Nobody’s talking about sheep or goats. You think maybe you’re projecting your personal life into this conversation???
    Amateur Resurrectionist

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Yep, there's defo a gold mine of info stored here. I'm tempted to make a bot to scrape the site of data, just to have a personal copy of the posts as an archive lol. I could delete the junk as I run across it that way =).

I grew up in the country, basically everyone out here is thick skinned. Get anywhere near a fair sized city and everyone is offended at everything. It's so bad, if you say a Mexican speaks Spanish they get offended for the Mexican, even though they don't know that they do speak Spanish. I'm floored at some of the stuff I've seen and just how bad it is out there. California has an interesting group of people, I'll leave a Mark Dice "social experiment" video here and you be the judge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvea_QWF4g

Maybe one more, have to love his "thanks for demonstrating that" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CdfsCz1oKo

He does a lot of political related stuff, I tried to stay a little clear from that, but the personalities seem to relate to their political stance quite a bit.
    I would never ............in a million feckin years..........ever .......... defend the Morons of Ca...........brain-e-acks with tattoos..........they are responsible for alcohol ban on the beach ..........they vote for more taxes sanctuary state they want to fight for your parking spot ? .........no mans land..........foget about it ..........Falling Down Man .......greatest depiction of Ca. of all time !! ..........baseball bat ..........chocolate mini donuts $4 ?..........POW !

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Thatís twice Barnes. Nobodyís talking about sheep or goats. You think maybe youíre projecting your personal life into this conversation???
    Nope...cuz I like Llamas!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I think the "Thanks", "Likes", & "Dislikes" buttons are partially to blame for the lack of comments posted on the few builds that do go on. A lot of us use those buttons pretty frequently, in lieu of actually typing something.
    That's a pretty interesting observation and gives me something to think about...

I'm still around - just been busy last few years building a business but finally starting to get it where it needs to be it seems.

The one major delineater is, I'm willing to bet most all of you guys are using 3WW here on desktop/laptop PCs, and not just accessing it from your phone, right? Some Tappatalk I'm sure, but the percentage of smart phone usage vs desktops has completely flipped. Like back in the day you know we all were texting with flip phones basically, the technology has just shifted. And Facebook was the first one to really make that handheld experience just work and flow right. Their picture uploading process and just the general format of sharing media and "short hand" posts is just cutting edge, no one else has a better way for humans to spit out what their brains are thinking a fraction of a second after the thought than their system. Your phone is always in your hand and the method to communicate thoughts and information through that platform is as smooth and seamless as anything else we have on the planet currently until there is actual neural connections to computers which probably isn't far off...

Forums like this were never even designed or thought of with mobile usage in mind. I think I said this a couple years ago, but I'll also make the argument that utilizing a real computer to interact generally increases the quality of posts also, where its not just a mental diarrhea. I mean, for sakes, back in the day (10 years ago) if you were working in the garage or shop, you had to physically put the tools down, go in the house, open up 3WW and run a search or make a post about a question or something. Now your phone is in your back pocket (at the furthest) and you hit literally 3 taps and your posting something in Facebook or a group. I'm just as guilty and a creature of this habit too - thats one reason I can analyze it so well..lol.

So the new member restriction thing - lets revisit that history briefly. This was put in place back in 2011, at a time when most of the veteran members here were complaining about all the "FNGs" joining and asking the same question, over, and over, and over in Trikesylvania, or 5 people per week asking "what is git it rag and why do you guys keep saying, it is dumb?". People were getting scammed more often than they should have through the classifieds by people showing up here literally to sell stuff or try to rake people over by joining just for that section. The economy was in the crapper and people were trying to find some enjoyment and fun out of using the forum and around with cheap old threewheelers they found in the grass, I think that was some of the traffic drivers at the time. It was a lot of Facebook level post quality coming in. There was serious concern that the site and the group was losing its culture because of all of these new members (and maybe we did anyways, that's up for debate) and them not taking the time to learn kind of the idiosyncrasies and inside jokes of the board that made it the most fun. So, I made the new member restriction in an effort to atleast "coral" that type of behavior into the new member areas and make Trikesylvania more serious quality content for the long timers to enjoy and the newer members to understand once they cut their teeth on the other sections and sort of learned their way around things. Anyone can search for "new member restriction" and take a time warp for some history. Here is one thread about 6 months before it went into effect: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ew+member+rule

Perhaps it is time for me to revisit this process.

I don't recall that ever really helping the moderation load, in fact more moderation and BS usually came from older members that felt they were above the rules or were entitled to act and do certain things more so than new members it seems...

I'm not sure what all the answers exactly are - but the environmental factors I'm aware of are; Mobile device usage, the general public's complete inability to focus on and concentrate on anything without an instantaneous response and dopamine high (Ie I post something on Facebook and wait for the "likes" to roll in to make me feel better about myself almost instantly), and the grumpy curmudgeonly attitude of some folks here has turned even me off from wanting to deal with it from time to time. Just putting all the cards on the table.
    One can only beat their head up against the wall so often before they get blood in their eyes.

Note to members: Stupidity is a BANABLE offense, mods can decide if YOU are being stupid and WILL ban you!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    That's a pretty interesting observation and gives me something to think about...

I'm still around - just been busy last few years building a business but finally starting to get it where it needs to be it seems.

The one major delineater is, I'm willing to bet most all of you guys are using 3WW here on desktop/laptop PCs, and not just accessing it from your phone, right? Some Tappatalk I'm sure, but the percentage of smart phone usage vs desktops has completely flipped. Like back in the day you know we all were texting with flip phones basically, the technology has just shifted. And Facebook was the first one to really make that handheld experience just work and flow right. Their picture uploading process and just the general format of sharing media and "short hand" posts is just cutting edge, no one else has a better way for humans to spit out what their brains are thinking a fraction of a second after the thought than their system. Your phone is always in your hand and the method to communicate thoughts and information through that platform is as smooth and seamless as anything else we have on the planet currently until there is actual neural connections to computers which probably isn't far off...

Forums like this were never even designed or thought of with mobile usage in mind. I think I said this a couple years ago, but I'll also make the argument that utilizing a real computer to interact generally increases the quality of posts also, where its not just a mental diarrhea. I mean, for sakes, back in the day (10 years ago) if you were working in the garage or shop, you had to physically put the tools down, go in the house, open up 3WW and run a search or make a post about a question or something. Now your phone is in your back pocket (at the furthest) and you hit literally 3 taps and your posting something in Facebook or a group. I'm just as guilty and a creature of this habit too - thats one reason I can analyze it so well..lol.

So the new member restriction thing - lets revisit that history briefly. This was put in place back in 2011, at a time when most of the veteran members here were complaining about all the "FNGs" joining and asking the same question, over, and over, and over in Trikesylvania, or 5 people per week asking "what is git it rag and why do you guys keep saying, it is dumb?". People were getting scammed more often than they should have through the classifieds by people showing up here literally to sell stuff or try to rake people over by joining just for that section. The economy was in the crapper and people were trying to find some enjoyment and fun out of using the forum and around with cheap old threewheelers they found in the grass, I think that was some of the traffic drivers at the time. It was a lot of Facebook level post quality coming in. There was serious concern that the site and the group was losing its culture because of all of these new members (and maybe we did anyways, that's up for debate) and them not taking the time to learn kind of the idiosyncrasies and inside jokes of the board that made it the most fun. So, I made the new member restriction in an effort to atleast "coral" that type of behavior into the new member areas and make Trikesylvania more serious quality content for the long timers to enjoy and the newer members to understand once they cut their teeth on the other sections and sort of learned their way around things. Anyone can search for "new member restriction" and take a time warp for some history. Here is one thread about 6 months before it went into effect: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ew+member+rule

Perhaps it is time for me to revisit this process.

I don't recall that ever really helping the moderation load, in fact more moderation and BS usually came from older members that felt they were above the rules or were entitled to act and do certain things more so than new members it seems...

I'm not sure what all the answers exactly are - but the environmental factors I'm aware of are; Mobile device usage, the general public's complete inability to focus on and concentrate on anything without an instantaneous response and dopamine high (Ie I post something on Facebook and wait for the "likes" to roll in to make me feel better about myself almost instantly), and the grumpy curmudgeonly attitude of some folks here has turned even me off from wanting to deal with it from time to time. Just putting all the cards on the table.
    I respect this response. You do forget certain things that lead to certain things and the details as to why they happen.

The only other forum I belong to is a four eyed mustang forum and they are no nonsense Gestapo types. Lots of good info, but that's all it is, info. A drag car build gets little attention, but if you wanna break down a valve cover emissions decal on an 1983 2.3 LX Mustang, it's a circle jerk of epic proportions.

I know the moderation is a thankless job, I moderate for a living.

--
    Way to prove me wrong Billy, I should have went to your profile and make sure I had the facts right, looks like around 1 post per day average, just most of the posts are in sections I'm rarely in. I defiantly stand behind some updates though. Vbulletin is big name software, but I haven't worked with it lately to know if there's anything to make it a better mobile experience or not, but clearly smart phones has been a huge effect. Also, yep I'm on a laptop/desktop, no way I'd ever try to type these messages on a cellphone, I'd have 15 pages of text to reread for all the auto correct mistakes lol.

Also for a side note, 3wheeler.org is effectively offline now, so this is one of the only 3 wheeler sites around. I've talked to more people than I'd care to admit that says they won't post here because of drama, no clue what all the situations are though.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    I don't think the likes and dislikes buttons are much of an issue. Yes, they reduce the number of actual posts, however, if it is on a tech thread where someone is needing information, and people make posts replying to others that offer information they like, it then adds unnecessary posts that the op or other people in need of help for a similar problem have to go thru to find the posts with the info they want. This isn't as much of an issue with 1 or even 2 page threads, but becomes more problematic the longer the thread is.

In other words, I think there are far better things to focus on if changes are to be made than getting rid of the likes and dislikes buttons, such as the waiting period and the 10 post requirement for new members as bkm originally mentioned. Also, if you consider making any changes, it might be a good idea to take a poll to see what the people that actually use the site think about them before you make them.

Here's just a couple examples of rarely used forums that serve little purpose that you could consider eliminating or combining.

THIS VS THAT - Has a whopping 9 threads since 3-11-2017, so that forum seems kinda pointless to me.

FRACAS ESTABLISHMENT - Has a total of 19 threads since the first one was posted on 6-9-2017

TRIKE FEST SPECIFIC and TRIKE FEST DOCUMENTARY - Possibly these two forums could be combined.

SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK QUESTIONS - Has no threads at all and you already have a SITE AND BOARD FEEDBACK AND NEW FEATURE forum anyway.

NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA

NEW MEMBER COMMENCEMENT - I seriously doubt that more than a small handful of regular members even ever look at this, and I doubt that anyone seriously cares what someones bio is, like where they live or why they like trikes so much or what their job is etc.

--
    I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.

--
    I agree with Barnett, except the New Member Commencement could just be a section under Trikeslvania, like "Introductions" or whatever. Humans are naturally selfish, they love talking about their self, so it's a good section to keep new members happy. It could fall under some sort of general chat/off topic section too. Most sites I sign up on I typically make a little post there. It's just to get my feet wet with the site and meet some people. If we go with the target of more tech info only and less personalized, then dropping the section would help that image I'd think.
    If it is mandatory that someone post in the new member commencement area before they post elsewhere, I think that at the very least that restriction should be removed and make posting there an option instead of a requirement. Also, I for one don't like much of anything that reminds me of school or formal occasions etc, and I'm guessing that some new members don't either, so I would prefer that the word Commencement be changed to Introduction, if that forum stayed.

--
    POST CORRECTION CUZ I STILL AIN'T GOTZ NO EDIT BUTTON

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESLVANIA"

Should read:

"NEW MEMBER DISCUSSION and TRIKESYLVANIA - Other than their names being different, these forums seem basically identical to me, so perhaps they could be combined."

--
    Yea that's what I meant, the restrictions are user based instead of applied to the sections. I'm not sure if it would work well here, but I suspect a hybrid between forum and social media would be like 3-5 pretty general titled sections total on the site. For example, like General Chat, Trikesylvania, Off Topic. If I made a new forum today, I'd target a format something like that, simple for the cellphone users, and low number of sections so activity appears good. If the site is popular though, not sure how good the design would be.

My target on here is for a thread not to go with no replies. I know how crappy it feels to ask something and get no response at all, even a "I don't know but I think this" type of reply is better than nothing.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Way to prove me wrong Billy, I should have went to your profile and make sure I had the facts right, looks like around 1 post per day average, just most of the posts are in sections I'm rarely in. I defiantly stand behind some updates though. Vbulletin is big name software, but I haven't worked with it lately to know if there's anything to make it a better mobile experience or not, but clearly smart phones has been a huge effect. Also, yep I'm on a laptop/desktop, no way I'd ever try to type these messages on a cellphone, I'd have 15 pages of text to reread for all the auto correct mistakes lol.

Also for a side note, 3wheeler.org is effectively offline now, so this is one of the only 3 wheeler sites around. I've talked to more people than I'd care to admit that says they won't post here because of drama, no clue what all the situations are though.

No - some of your comments were completely justified. I freely admit I have not been around here a lot lately, but far cry from having given up on it. The BS over the years has contributed some to my lack of being here also for sure. But it's mostly convenience I'd say.

vBulletin is effectively dead. There are some alternatives, the original development team now has a suite called XenForo. 3 years ago or so I spent a few hundred bucks in purchasing version 1.x and several addons to attempt to replace basic functionality of this forum and test out and see how it would work on Xenforo porting our data. I even worked with a programmer/consultant that ported large vB communities for a little bit. I was not impressed. It had not matured enough yet and there was not enough real world application of some of the replacement products to match this platform for me to feel good about switching. They've since released version 2.0 and I have not revisited it yet. The bones of it seem to be good and it is a lot more user and mobile friendly, modern code base, passionate addon community and developers, but there was tons of functionality here we would not have had when I looked at it. No user groups, no albums, no real article or front page system, no calendar (use to be useful for sharing Trikefest and other local ride events) just a lot of stuff didn't transfer over well. Like you could import stuff from here to Xenforo, but there wasn't a good way to re-integrate it or use it in a similar manner as there has been here. Here is my post infact on their forum when I was trying things out: https://xenforo.com/community/thread...is-long.70714/

I still think this may be the best platform for us to migrate to, but it will be a 100% departure from anything familiar here if that happens...https://xenforo.com/community/ So that's a bit of a challenge.
    One can only beat their head up against the wall so often before they get blood in their eyes.

Note to members: Stupidity is a BANABLE offense, mods can decide if YOU are being stupid and WILL ban you!

--
    I've seen xenforo a bit, never been on the admin side much though. I started off with Vbull for side projects, but modding it etc is a pain. Mybb was super easy to add say a landing page manually and still have access to like member info, logged in status etc. That's more of the manual approach though, not sure how great the plugins are, I generally setup sites with a bare min setup and only add a few things. Higher security, and used to be a performance thing, but servers are power houses now so that shouldn't be a problem as long as the database is designed pretty well.

My orig post was meant like you're only here on a week or less, when I checked your profile, clearly you still get on the site often with the ~1 post per day. There's always room for improvement, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community Lord of the trike
    --
    Using "too much drama" as an excuse to criticize or leave a forum is pretty lame in my narrow minded view. From my limited view of it, Facebook has just as much, if not more drama as any forum I belong to. (try visiting AR15.com General Discussion sometime) The thing is, with facebook the drama gets scrolled out of the main page in a matter of minutes if not seconds. On a forum all the posts are there to see and don't disappear unless it's deleted or the thread is locked.

The best thing, well one of the best things, about those that complain about too much "drama"? How hard is it to check the fack out of a thread you don't like? Seriously. Hit the back button, go back to the main forum page and find something you deem to be more appealing instead of creating drama about the drama, FFS.

There are some subjects that people are very passionate about and a middle ground will never be found, Religion, politics and oil, to name a few.

How to avoid drama:

Who is Q?

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //