//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: 83 ATC 200e questions

--
    I got one of those SHUmandala 4 wire ignition switches, supposively it’s the same for the 200’s and Fourtrax models. Are they different from the original wiring if you have to mod them? Yeah a replacement harness is the better option for this bike. I have to make a effort to really dig through the mountain of parts I got in containers,no idea if there’s any spare harnesses to use for the time being. But realistically I’d rather fix things right. Too me the trikes are new machines so I don’t mind spending the time getting them back in their prime.
    Some things never go outta style '

--
    The China switches are for a china quad so wrong colors and connector + it's junk china wire. I take the switches apart and polish the contacts inside since they always have a weird film on them that doesn't always have good contact, add some lube since there's none in there and Honda switches are filled, then re assemble and replace the wiring with good quality stuff, same wire I use in my harnesses, and of course good terminals (most are Japanese made).

Here's a link to my listing. Some day I have to get a better camera and new photos so you can see it clearer. The old switches I got used to be hit and miss on the finish, but any more they all look pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Honda-A...R/192035280253

Is this the one you bought? If so, the photos are clearly the wrong part (wrong wire and 2 female connectors instead of one), that listing also stole my part number (KS101R), I have really bad issues with people copying that listing of mine. In the shape those switches likely come, they should be sold for like $8 and still have plenty of mark up.

https://www.amazon.com/CBK-Ignition-.../dp/B07M7S81S9

If you end up wanting the ignition switch I make, we can just combine the price with the harness and ship in one box to save a ton on shipping.

--
    Oh cool! I didn’t know you have a ebay store set up. I bet if you put up the fully made 200 harnesses / main harness you’ll sell a lot of those. Up around here there’s a lot of 200’s going around still. I like looking at stuff on eBay because it’s convenient. Like now if I look up wire harnesses for a 200 on eBay there’s just ones from scrapped bikes, you’d probably be the only listing for a new one.
    And yeah I have a similar one looks like the same style. Suppose to be fully waterproof.
    Last edited by NlBurden; 06-27-2019 at 06:16 PM.

--
    Yea the 82-83 harness shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll have to figure out how much to charge since it's one of the more complex harnesses to make.

There's 2 other people that I'm aware of that makes harnesses on and off for machines, one makes tecate harnesses, and the other I saw them making race style trx250r harnesses. Both sellers seemed to have disappeared though.

The best years for Honda, 84-85 sadly used a CDI connector that I can't seem to get. A business partner found the CDI side of the connector, but min order is 10,000 connectors, a bit more than what we could probably really use even though there's a LOT of 200ES machines out there with that plug. I'm hoping I'll be able to reproduce the connector in a silicone mold and have it turn out well, but I need more equipment and can only buy stuff as funds allow for.

Anyway, 82-83 uses an older style connector, very common and readily available, so no problems there, and 86+ machines typically used the "modern" 4+2 style CDI connector which also is readily available.

The ignition switch I sell, I won't lie and do marketing BS, it doesn't like swamp water or acid water getting in them. Out of about 1000 sold, I've had two people have issues with mud/water getting in the switch and causing rust and problems. I've added lube to those areas to help be an anti corrosive ever since then. Even the OEM Honda ones are not water proof, but they are pretty water resistant. This is also why I sell the ignition switch with the rubber key cover, it helps shield the switch from water/mud from getting into it. I see some sellers selling the switches that are just a key kind of like for a car, no shielding or anything, in fact my supplier slips a few of them in my orders sometimes so I often sell them like 1/2 priced just to get rid of them.

I have quite a bit of stuff setup btw lol. I have a webstore, but it gets so little traffic I don't keep it fully updated/in stock. Same goes for my 3ww shop listings, I have to run them them some time and restock some stuff.

Web store - http://atcfixer.com
    3ww Shop Items - http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/seller...ixer/products/

I also have a parts interchange site that's probably getting replace called http://atvinterchange.com probably going to replace it with http://atvmanual.com though since I want it to be a good 1 stop resource for any tech info and maybe get some guides on how to do different jobs and such. Not limiting myself to 3 wheelers since I enjoy quads and side by sides are alright too. Snowmobiles, off road trucks etc I could add down the road, but first need to get solid info up for at least the 3 wheelers. Kind of funny, my site names are not too different, guess it's just how my mind works, right to the point (sometimes at least).

You'd probably be shocked how horrible some of the harnesses I've bought off ebay were. Nearly all of them were listed and good usable condition, but plenty had broken wires, very dry rotted wiring, or super corroded connections. I think about 20-25% of the harnesses I've bought are good enough I'd even think about using on a machine. My collection of harnesses almost covers all Honda 3 wheelers, got a couple of years of the 250r to go and I'd like to get an 87 200x harness some day just to have it on hand, I have notes on the differences, but it's nice to have it on hand.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Yea the 82-83 harness shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll have to figure out how much to charge since it's one of the more complex harnesses to make.

There's 2 other people that I'm aware of that makes harnesses on and off for machines, one makes tecate harnesses, and the other I saw them making race style trx250r harnesses. Both sellers seemed to have disappeared though.

The best years for Honda, 84-85 sadly used a CDI connector that I can't seem to get. A business partner found the CDI side of the connector, but min order is 10,000 connectors, a bit more than what we could probably really use even though there's a LOT of 200ES machines out there with that plug. I'm hoping I'll be able to reproduce the connector in a silicone mold and have it turn out well, but I need more equipment and can only buy stuff as funds allow for.

Anyway, 82-83 uses an older style connector, very common and readily available, so no problems there, and 86+ machines typically used the "modern" 4+2 style CDI connector which also is readily available.

The ignition switch I sell, I won't lie and do marketing BS, it doesn't like swamp water or acid water getting in them. Out of about 1000 sold, I've had two people have issues with mud/water getting in the switch and causing rust and problems. I've added lube to those areas to help be an anti corrosive ever since then. Even the OEM Honda ones are not water proof, but they are pretty water resistant. This is also why I sell the ignition switch with the rubber key cover, it helps shield the switch from water/mud from getting into it. I see some sellers selling the switches that are just a key kind of like for a car, no shielding or anything, in fact my supplier slips a few of them in my orders sometimes so I often sell them like 1/2 priced just to get rid of them.

I have quite a bit of stuff setup btw lol. I have a webstore, but it gets so little traffic I don't keep it fully updated/in stock. Same goes for my 3ww shop listings, I have to run them them some time and restock some stuff.

Web store - http://atcfixer.com
    3ww Shop Items - http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/seller...ixer/products/

I also have a parts interchange site that's probably getting replace called http://atvinterchange.com probably going to replace it with http://atvmanual.com though since I want it to be a good 1 stop resource for any tech info and maybe get some guides on how to do different jobs and such. Not limiting myself to 3 wheelers since I enjoy quads and side by sides are alright too. Snowmobiles, off road trucks etc I could add down the road, but first need to get solid info up for at least the 3 wheelers. Kind of funny, my site names are not too different, guess it's just how my mind works, right to the point (sometimes at least).

You'd probably be shocked how horrible some of the harnesses I've bought off ebay were. Nearly all of them were listed and good usable condition, but plenty had broken wires, very dry rotted wiring, or super corroded connections. I think about 20-25% of the harnesses I've bought are good enough I'd even think about using on a machine. My collection of harnesses almost covers all Honda 3 wheelers, got a couple of years of the 250r to go and I'd like to get an 87 200x harness some day just to have it on hand, I have notes on the differences, but it's nice to have it on hand.
    For the CDI's that you mention have you tried implementing in chinese built ones or like an adapter to connect to one? I don't know a lot of the details about the electronics involved, however i did see some interesting experimenting random people are trying online. One guy put a chinese ignition system (harness,etc) on a 200 and it runs. Maybe the cdi's are compatible. Yeah i hear you about the ebay harnesses, a lot of them do have the common broken wires and such. I think the 200M I got is a 84 model, but the 200e I'm almost 100% sure that one is a 83. I'm super pumped with the shape that the M is in as the wire harness even looks super clean / original.
    I haven't seen any 250r's or 200x around here. We had a vintage honda how not long ago and about 3 250r's were there. They are probably the only ones i've seen around here in my life haha. I do like the look of those bikes, knowing myself i'd probably end up getting injured on a 250r

--
    The 250r vs 200 series is night and day difference. Good suspension vs hard tail, you can't push a hard tail the same as a 250r/200x/350x, and my experience was they didn't have enough power to power slide very well as a way to slide the rear instead of flipping if you take a turn too fast. I ride fast and hard on my machines, so that's a bit of a requirement for me which is why I stick with 250cc+ 3 wheelers. Just my personal preference though, I grew up off roading things. I can drift a car on a dirt road much smoother than on a normal road, I turn out of the drift at the wrong time.

The 200 series engines with the mechanical advancer works pretty well with the Chinese CDI's *if* they don't have any advancement built into them. I think they might be a tiny bit retarded on timing vs the stock CDI but they work. Mike has CDI's manufactured based on a atc200x CDI, so those should work really well on the other 200 series engines. http://mikesatvfix.com/ I'd assume they would work for the smaller models with the same ignition setup, like the ATC110 and ATC125M's with the pulse generator on the cam and mechanical advancement.

Adapters are no problem for 82-83 style to the 86+ style that Mike's CDIs are, the China CDI's I don't know if there's any with no advancement with the more modern plug, I'd have to research it a bit, but I think some of the Chinese CDI's are plug and play already, but maybe a couple wires have to be swapped. The core of how Honda engines work pretty much hasn't changed, so a CDI from the completely wrong engine normally can fire and likely make the engine run, it's the ignition timing that rules how well it will run though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NlBurden View Post
    Cool man, ill check those videos out this evening! I have been looking for a 250es for a long time now, usually its sold before i get the chance to look at a good one. They seem to be very popular around here. I'm not into the racey ones very much, but i do like the traditional utility style trikes. I got the oring chain on the way, but am having a hard time sourcing the front sprocket and rear sprocket around here. I was saddened to see that the local honda dealership no longer carries the sprockets and only have one outsource for getting the sprockets to me but it is pricey! Out of curiosity are the sprockets heat treated by any means? I'm learning lathes in some of my classes in college and could probably fabricate up that front sprocket, just not sure if it would last haha! I've looked at some sources from in the states to get the sprockets up to me, but i'm finding shipping costs are more then the parts themselves. Time to go poke back at the bike!

Also do you guys have a good way to tell if a sprocket is completely worn? I got a spare set of sprockets that came in my spare parts pile, one of them looks very newish but i can't tell if its worth throwing on for a while or not.
    I have a 83 200e had to change front sprocket , have to take apart sub trans, take lots of pics to make sure its installed properly again , when i did mine i misaligned the hi low gears so now its hard to switch from low range to high range. Just a note, but also i bought mine off ebay.ca $55.00 USD, shipped in a week or so

--
    Sub trans needs to be removed , drain oil and take lots of pics to make sure its install correctly when your done , some inner case bolts that will need to be removed , remember where they all go as they are different sizes. Buy on ebay for $55USD SHIPPED

--
    Not to difficult, drain oil , flip on its side . Take step by step pictures to make sure everything goes back the same way it was removed, front sprocket is behind the case with the stator. You can inspect if u dont have a chain cover , by looking behind back left wheel(sitting on the bike) you should be able to see how bad the front sprocket is

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NlBurden View Post
    Well I got the cover off, and the one under came out easily. Took your advice and took two bolts and screwed them into the holes where the pull start cup bolts in. I then put a wrench on the bolts and let it bring up against the foot peg. And it worked out perfectly. I can see the front sprocket finally. It’s actually in better shape then I thought but I’ll be putting on the new one regardless at this point. Appreciate all the help highly. I’ll touch back when I have more trouble. Also since I couldn’t find much more information about the front sprocket changeout , I’ll do a write up with the pics and videos I took. After going through this process now it seems easy!
    Hey there Burden, did you ever post pictures or videos of the full front sprocket replacement. I am also trying to figure out how to take on this task. It looks tough and the manual doesn’t show how to do it. Let me know where to find the videos. Thanks!

--
    I poked real quick at the Honda service manual and it basically says to removed left crankcase cover and sub transmission.

Assuming you have the same manual, you'd follow the related sections for the instructions to remove those parts. It should be fairly straight forward, but I haven't personally replaced a sprocket on an engine with that design of system.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //