//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Engine case sealer

--

Engine case sealer

Should we be using a gasket sealer when assembling out motors? As of now we generally do not. We have used Yamaha bond, Honda bond before but latley haven't used anything. Should we be? Especially when we are using miss matched case covers that are not original to the case halves? Once in a while we will have a leak after assembly generally at a case cover and not necessarily the case halves.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    You're saying that you've been putting case halves together without sealant, or a gasket of any kind?
    It sucks to get old

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Should we be using a gasket sealer when assembling out motors? As of now we generally do not. We have used Yamaha bond, Honda bond before but latley haven't used anything. Should we be? Especially when we are using miss matched case covers that are not original to the case halves? Once in a while we will have a leak after assembly generally at a case cover and not necessarily the case halves.
    What sealer, if any, do you usually use on the center cases and clutch covers etc?

The clutch and dyno covers are not matched to a specific set of cases, so you can switch them from engine to engine.

If it's clutch or dyno cover that's leaking, it could be warped slightly, but you can check that by taping some 400 grit sand paper to a window pane (if you don't have granite counter tops) then clean the gasket surface then color it with a felt pen then spray water on the sand paper and lightly rub the cover on it for a few seconds, then look to see where the felt pen mark was removed. If it is warped you can surface it the same way but with 180 - 220. You can also just put the cover on the window pane and try to slip a .002" feeler gauge under it at maybe 2" intervals.

Even if the cover is warped, it will not leak if you use Toyota FIPG if the sealing surface is perfectly clean. Yamabond #4 seems pretty similar and a lot of people use that as well but I just used it for the first time a week ago so I don't have enough experience with it to give any feedback on it other than you should put it on extremely thin when used on center cases, and still pretty thin when used on clutch covers and other gaskets etc.

In the Jurassic days, the best overall case sealers that the general public could buy was liquid yamabond, and kawasaki case sealer, but I have not seen either in years, so I'm guessing we are stuck with threebond, and honda 4 and yamabond 4 etc now.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyot.../dp/B000EDDTV0

Permatex ultra gray is also xlnt stuff and I use it by itself as an end seal on some V8 intake manifolds where it ends up being around 3/16" but the Toyota FIPG is better for motorcycle stuff.

.[/QUOTE]

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    You're saying that you've been putting case halves together without sealant, or a gasket of any kind?
    A gasket yes, sealant no.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    I like permatex aviation cement. Sticky and dries fairly slow, so you have a good window to work.
    I’ve never had a leak where I’ve used it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

--
    1211 three bond is all I use. If you need to lap your cases, checkout thia how to article I wrote up in 2015 below.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...=Enlightenment
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Usually a paper gasket doesn't need anything to seal but a clean flat surface, but there are exceptions.

If I have a gasket I want to reuse on things like valve covers or clutch covers on a drag bike I put a thin coating of automotive silicone on them and let them cure before installing them. did it right and they can last for dozens or reuses.

On two strokes I put a small amount of Yamabond where the case halves meet the base gasket, especially on cases that use a paper gasket.

The Yamabond works great on warped or damaged covers as well, with or without a gasket and if you tear a new gasket it makes a great glue.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Permatex ultra gray is also xlnt stuff and I use it by itself as an end seal on some V8 intake manifolds where it ends up being around 3/16" but the Toyota FIPG is better for motorcycle stuff.
    Can you expand on why it's not as good for motocycle stuff? Works great on chainsaw stuff =).

I'll have to check out the Toyota FIPG some time, that's a new one for me.

--
    I didn't use any sealant on my last motor rebuild, a 350x. All is well. Of course, there is the one location where the manual requires you to use some non-hardening sealing: the cylinder head cover. But everywhere else is just paper gasket. I don't think you need sealant unless there is warping or gouges in the surfaces.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    The last few cases I split, (350x, 250r, 185s), I used the ultra grey that barnett mentioned. I wont say that any of them needed it and the X and R cases were lapped. But i just use a real fine skim coat on both surfaces. It asks as a tack agent to keep the gaskets in place as well as seal up any small imperfections that the eye may have missed.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Can you expand on why it's not as good for motocycle stuff? Works great on chainsaw stuff =).

I'll have to check out the Toyota FIPG some time, that's a new one for me.
    The ultra gray is a great sealer, and you can't go wrong with it providing all the surfaces are 100% oil free, but as you know, they should be oil free for any sealer, but the toyota fipg has a little less tendency to sluff off afterwards, meaning that the excess sealer that squeezes out is a little less likely to break off. I don't like the thick sealers for gasketless center cases because the excess can break off and it is hard to get it thin enough so that it won't have much excess squeezing out. The old school yamabond and kawasaki case sealers were much thinner so they were easier to apply thin and didn't form a big bead when the excess got squeezed out.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    1211 three bond is all I use.
    How does the viscosity compare to yamabond 4?

I have read of a lot of people using the three bond. I would prefer something much thinner than the yamabond 4 but don't trust gaska-cinch.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    How does the viscosity compare to yamabond 4?

I have read of a lot of people using the three bond. I would prefer something much thinner than the yamabond 4 but don't trust gaska-cinch.
    It’s a little thicker the yama bond, dries a little faster and you don’t need as much.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //