//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Anyone need Japanese made Starter Solenoids?

--

Anyone need Japanese made Starter Solenoids?

A recent post got me thinking about these a bit more and I see ebay is just flooded with junk Chinese starter solenoids (getting stuck on is a common problem from the reviews). Was wondering if anyone had a need for actual quality Japanese built ones? I'd be sourcing them from a Honda machine and reselling for the machines below. I can most for basically any Honda for a pretty reasonable price ($35-40 shipped I'm thinking).

84-87 ATC125M - Out of production (I have 84-85 on hand to base mods on, 86/87 I'd have to get one in hand first)
    82-83 ATC200E - In production, about $65 though
    84 ATC200ES - In production, about $65 though
    84-85 ATC200M - In production, about $65 though
    85-87 ATC250ES - - In production, about $62 though
    85-87 ATC250SX - - In production, about $62 though
    ATC350X With Goki Starter Kit - Can provide pig tails with solenoid, or could just recreate the whole Goki harness with the solenoid connectors in mind for a reasonable price. Planning to make an "integrated Goki" harness too for the 350x, so the yellow/blue wires are in the main harness.

I'm planning to cover the ATC125M models since they are out of production, but I'd think people would like a cheaper option while keeping the parts high quality.

The way things have been going, I'll make/mod parts to cover all models of 3 wheelers before long lol.

--
    Well I just picked up a 200E engine last night to build an AutoX with. Since it was only the engine, I'm sure I'll be shopping with you after I start the build. I already had you in mind.

--
    Sounds good, I haven't messed with the 200E harnesses much, however I have one on hand to know the stator hookups and such. In theory if the engine connectors don't match the 200X harness I should be able to make adapters. Electric start and adding the batter would probably require a whole new built harness, unless you want the "extra" wires hanging around.

Just a quick run down of what I can think of that you'll want (if you're going for electric start working)

Left handle bar controls (I can mod a newer style one to get all the functions you need, unless you have one already on hand you want to use)
    Voltage regulator/rectifier for charging the battery and keeping the bulbs from blowing out from too much voltage (total light draw < total stator output from memory)
    Battery/battery box. Lead acid batteries want to be level, sealed lead acid can be mounted at an angle if needed from my understanding.
    Battery cables, I haven't gotten into making them yet, but I have the 16 ton crimper. I need to buy some 8 gauge or maybe go larger than stock and do 6 gauge wire and some lugs. Been wanting to get into this, but I kind of doubt the cables would sell too well for stock replacements.
    Main harness, kind of assuming I'll be making a full harness for you?
    Starter solenoid - basically any would work, but for reliability, I'd stick with the Honda ones (not chinese ones that look like them).

Of course there's the physical mods to make it fit the frame. If I remember right, the down tube has to be dented in to get the starter to clear.

One thing you might want to grab is one of Mike's CDI boxes for a ATC200X. That way I can just make the harness with all new parts and such. You could stick with the 200E stator if you want, it just isn't a sealed connection like the newer style. The 200x one works too, but the connector type is out of production, so I'd need the plug from a donor harness.

Anyway, I suspect it would probably be easiest for you to start a build thread when you're ready and I'll have to work with you on measurements and part locations. I should be able to use a 83 or 84-85 harness as the base layout and add the starter solenoid wiring in with a measurement from you. Not sure if you want me to make the battery cables or not, I could try to get some wire/lugs stocked and made though. You'll also need a ground bolt location for the battery, I suspect something like the grab bar bolts would work though and be right in the general area.

--
    I'm not even sure when I'll start the build at this point. The only reason that I'm using this engine instead of the 200S engine that I have laying around is for the electric start. There's no wiring on the 200X roller frame that I have so I'll need a complete harness. At least I'll be able to mount things where I want them. This is one of those projects where I'll buy parts a little at a time until I have enough to put it together.

--
    Makes sense, I'd say the harness should be one of the last things, so you know what you're working with and planning to use etc. I have 83-86 200x harnesses on hand for measurements if you stick to stock locations, like where the CDI mounts and such. If not I'd have to work with you to get the harness layout figured out.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Well I just picked up a 200E engine last night to build an AutoX with. Since it was only the engine, I'm sure I'll be shopping with you after I start the build. I already had you in mind.
    Need a speed kit for the 200E??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Lol, I have the speedometer bulb sockets new on hand too if Dirtcrasher doesn't have a spare =). They are built from NOS parts, so limited qty as I can find the source parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192928084416

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    How much trouble is it to fit that into the X frame? No issues with the transfer case clearing? I imagine you'll have to notch the down tube for the starter.

You should start a build thread with pictures. Not too many of those around here.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I'm pretty sure I saw a build thread on one of the electric start 200 engines in a 200x frame, I just don't know what it was called. I think the poster just ed in the down tube, the starter was like a 1/4in interference. I don't recall anything about the sub trans though.

Did a little googling and found this thread, not a build thread but it seems to support what I can remember. Sadly it sounds like the sub trans might cause problems for fitment.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...otor-in-a-200x

--
    FINALLY got my order in 4 months of waiting for back-ordered parts....

Anyway, I know everyone likes photos here, so here's stock (dirty) 1987 ATC125M vs New Honda made one that I modded from another machine. Yes I include the lock washer and nuts which are also sourced form Honda and clearly are not steel.

Now I just have to dig up the rest of the new solenoids I have around and look into other models to cover.

Always open to ideas/requests too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1818.JPG   DSCN1819.JPG   DSCN1817.JPG  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //