//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A recent project - a foray into "Industrial" furniture

--
    Nice work Billy!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    Very cool build, Billy!

Couple questions:
    - How many hours would you say you guys had into this project? Seems like maybe a lot.
    - Can you estimate the weight of this thing? Either plate and base separately or as a whole unit.

wild guessing around 16'ish or so? Next one will be built quicker I know a bit more about what I'm doing after the first go around. Mostly all grinding and smoothing time. If I coulda had the thing sand blasted to begin with and then blasted one more time right before wire brushing and clear coating that would have saved me a lot of time in the long run.

I'm guessing the entire assembly is around 500lbs and then some :-)

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    That is pretty unique entrance!! Did you put in the two set of glass doors? Can you lower the top doors?
    Yes, those are "Storefront" units from a company called Old Castle installed by a local glass company. The old garage bay doors can still lower down, but the return arms at the top of the doors have to be unbolted so they can come all the way down. We left them up there one because it'd be a pain in the ass to take down, and two, we figured if you ever had a really bad storm coming or something we could roll them down maybe, and they do look kind of cool still.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Golightly View Post
    I'm guessing the entire assembly is around 500lbs and then some :-)
    Sounds like an anti-theft feature was built into the design
    It sucks to get old

--
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Sounds like an anti-theft feature was built into the design

Hagen told me it would double as good tornado/hurricane bunker inside the office. He is probably right.

--
    I love the table, I like recycled things and re purposed things even more.
    I also like metal over wood. I try my hand at some metal sculpture as well.
    Not as useful as your.
    MrC

A Utensil Carousel Horse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191005_195659.jpg  

--
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty cool. I've never considered myself creative enough to do actual artwork or sculpture work like that, but some of the stuff I see people turn out completely blows my mind. Maybe one day...lol.

I'm working on a second table now, and I decided to go back in time and do a little Youtube video overview of making this first one, since I'm in the middle of working on the second one and encountering a lot more challenges as to keeping everything straight and level than I did on the first one. The second piece of material was not nearly as good as the first one unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfKhe3SPaY&t=704s

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    I love the table, I like recycled things and re purposed things even more.
    I also like metal over wood. I try my hand at some metal sculpture as well.
    Not as useful as your.
    MrC

A Utensil Carousel Horse
    Nice sculpture, sir!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Thank you,
    I have been bending spoons for a few years now.
    I yall are interested I will start another thread

MrC.

--
    Blog Entries
    Finally wrapped up table #2 - after all sorts of trouble with that half being a lot more warped and bent up than the first one.

I settled on a piece of 3x3x.500 angle for the flange along the edge that bolts to the wall.

Then I took 4 pieces of 3x3.250 under the bottom and ran them long ways, mag drilled through and ran bolts all the way down through and squeezed/tightned the table top down to the angles underneath, welded the table top to the angles, then took the bolts out and welded the holes up. That got the top pretty flat finally, flat enough I could tolerate it. My hole fill ins didn't turn out very well and the 7018 rod I used was a different grain structure than the base metal so despite grinding and smoothing and sandblasting the entire thing you can still see the holes and areas where they were, which kinda sucks, but I guess it's more character.

I was able to sand the entire top of the thing this time and still didn't get quite the shiny brushed metal type finish I was looking for, but it's definitely cleaner than the finish on the first one. I sprayed automotive clear coat from NAPA on it again to seal it, and I had a lot more trouble with it running this time than before. I thought I ordered and mixed the same stuff but maybe I just wasn't having a good 2 days getting it laid down right. The other thing I encountered was you had to seriously seriously put down the clear in order to maintain a smooth appearance and finish, otherwise it would sorta ripple and look like a textured or crinkle coat type finish. So the amount I had to spray down had a lot to do with how easy it seemd to run on the corners and edges, I guess.

Overall, turned out pretty nice, given all the bullshit that piece of iron has given me over the past 8 or 9 months, trying to get it wrangled around flat and into the shape and position I wanted.

Table #1 - been in the office and used about a year now.

Table #2 - Freshly completed and been in the office about a week now. Still need some cable hider and few little tidy up tidbits...

Last edited by Billy Golightly; 05-10-2020 at 07:57 AM.

--
    Blog Entries
    Few more pictures...

(Loading onto trailer to take into office, with the pedestal stand unbolted off of it. Dad operating the front loader.)

Surface finish out in the sun. It gleaned pretty nicely. Kind of a shame that it'll never get that same level of light, inside. Maybe I'll move it outside to the back patio one day...lol

The clear does make a nice shiny and reflective finish while also preserving the texture down underneath, basically...

Underside after I had to add all the extra angle and pull the table top, down onto it, to help level it out...

Center pedestal after it got it's clear coat, also.

--
    Impressive! Hope I had the talent to create something like that.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I saw one of these in person and it looked great! Nice job William! Nothing looks better than something you really put a lot of time and effort into.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    And you made it your self!
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    What brand mag drill is that?
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //