//ArrowChat Code

Thread: DG pipe/silencer-Vintage or new?

--

DG pipe/silencer-Vintage or new?

I own an '83 250R that I'm looking to replace the exhaust from the OEM. I was thinking about doing a new DG type II silencer for now, then order up the pipe later on. A few days ago, I found a "vintage" DG pipe/silencer on Facebook that the guy is asking $120 shipped for it. Is this a good price? Whats the difference between the vintage DG and the new set? Pic for attention.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

--
    I don't know the aftermarket parts too well, but used for $120 vs $144 new, I'd be leaning for the new one, unless the old one is something special or the new one is known to be junk.

Good luck, hopefully someone can chime in that knows more about the aftermarket parts than me.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I don't know the aftermarket parts too well, but used for $120 vs $144 new, I'd be leaning for the new one, unless the old one is something special or the new one is known to be junk.

Good luck, hopefully someone can chime in that knows more about the aftermarket parts than me.
    The guy wants $120 for the pipe AND silencer. SHIPPED!

--
    I overlooked the pipe + silencer part, hmm that's a hard pick now. If the pipe is good it seems the used route might be the better option lol. Shipping alone is probably $20-30. I didn't even notice the pipe in the cart before. Generally about 1/2 price for used stuff is a pretty reasonable price, so 1/3 or less + free shipping seems like used should be good. I'm too used to 4 strokes and the exhaust/pipe basically being one section, and a header pipe that nearly never gets replaced lol.

A lot of time people on facebook lack details, or just don't communicate the greatest. Might want to get good solid photos and maybe call and talk to the person to make sure the parts are in good shape. My dad and I just went on a trip for a few air tanks, and the listing only said $40, we had no clue if it was total or each, once we got there, he said it was each, but would do $100 for all so we grabbed them and ran =). We got something like $500 worth of stuff for $100 though.

--
    I guess what I'm not too aware of is if there's a difference between the vintage and the new one, like better performance through 35 yrs of technological advances.

--
    Yea, tech has increased for sure, however, build quality has generally went down. Can't say if DG is that way, just kind of the general trend. New is always nice though for the bling effect.

--
    We'll, I sent an email to DG and they replied that there's pretty much no difference between the vintage and the new, other than possibly the welds. So I contacted the FB guy and he says that now he wants me to pay shipping. And before I could bargain with him a little, he told me to look at eBay and "good luck". So, I guess I'm back to square one. Probably just going to buy a new silencer to begin with and maybe the pipe later on. I didn't feel real comfortable about paying someone through FB anyway.

--
    Yea, I normally don't like people like that, if it was in such a high demand, he would have had it sold by now. Personally, I'd just say stand your grounds and hold him to his word, $120 and he pays shipping or no deal. I've quoted prices wrong before but I never force anyone to pay the higher price if they don't agree, I just explain the situation etc.

Anyway, good luck which ever route you go. I know there's some people on here that hand build their pipes, but I'm sure that work isn't cheap to do. It's pretty impressive what people do in their garages.

--
    Just a lil update; I bought the silencer for $100 new on Amazon and received it Friday I'll buy a headpipe down the road someday. So, right away I polished it up with some Flitz, which it didn't really need other than it claims to be a corrosion protectant, and colored in the "DG" emblem with a permanent marker. Now the question I have is; Will a few coats of clearcoat help to keep it looking this way? Or, will it turn yellow and distort from the heat?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //