//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1987 250ES for free!

--

1987 250ES for free!

I scored a 1987 big red today! It was free and will need a lot of love. Also got a 200e parts trike. Will post pics to morrow. Will go great with my friends 87 big red.

--
    Ahhh FREE, my favourite price! Looking forward to see the pics!
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091735.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	258739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091745.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	258740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091757.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	258741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091801.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	258742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091810.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	258743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_091816.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	258744

Well, here are the free trikes. The one with no forks is an 85 big red, hopefully it's wiring harness will let the 87 live again.

--
    Wow they need alot of love! That should be a nice project! If you need artwork for the decals I have the artwork for a 85 250ES and the 83 200E
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200E BIG RED
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1988 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1995 Honda Frankentrike 50cc 2-stroke
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    Looks like they both have been through quite a bit, but those engines look really clean, no oil leaks and such. My 84 200ES's whole engine is black from the leaking valve cover lol.

Anyway, I'd check the engines out and get them running before dumping big money into them, unless you don't mind possible rebuild costs or engine replacement costs. Get the heart alive and atleast you can ride an ugly machine till you can get the rest of the parts to make it pretty =).

If you need any electrical help, post here. I'm pretty in tune with the 200E and 250ES. For electrical testing, it's super helpful if you have a multi meter.

I can't see for sure, but the 200E looks to be missing the key, the 250es I think I see it but not sure, either case you can unplug the black/white and green wires from the ignition switch (or all 4 wires) and the machine will run, but you won't have electric start or any lights, including dash lights. On the 200E, you can hook the Red and Yellow/Red wire together to get lights. The 250 is not as easy due to the connectors used, but Red to Black (not black/white) will give that machine lights. Also, make 100% sure the 250 is in neutral when you try to start it, else it won't have any spark, I scored one cheap because of that "issue".

When you get them running, how much do you plan on fixing them up? Like just rider quality, or like basic restored to be pretty, or fully big $$$ OEM restore? I'm pretty sure I have an ok condition front fender, might have more parts. Also so you're aware, I make/mod a lot of electrical parts too, like if the harness is otherwise good, but has a cut off connector, I can get you a pig tail to repair it for nearly any connector on that machine and have it the correct OEM colors.

Not sure how well you know the 250es, but under the seat is normally two big knobs you can unscrew and the rear rack/fenders will tip back like a dump truck. Makes getting to some electrical parts etc a bit easier. The headlight is removable too, even though you don't exactly have one yet.

Anyway, you have a bit of a long road ahead of you to get those machines up to par, but to me they look like a solid start if the engines are healthy. Typical saying though, they were sitting for some reason, hopefully it's not engine related and just the person was scared of 3 wheelers or something.

--
    The 200e is just a parts bike, good for other 200e and both 200s. I know my way around the 250 pretty well, my buddy has 3, and 85 and a 87, and unknown year parts trike. The CDI plug is missing, but the 85 with no forks has the round plug stlye, will it be possible to put that cdi plug in the 87? Other than that the wiring is complete. Engine is free and has compression and the carb is not siezed. If it can get a cdi, it might fire up! Once it runs, I will put different tires on it and maybe a front fender and ride it, I am only 17 and have very little money because I'm saving for college.

--
    Sadly, the round CDI plug is one of the ones I can't get, since it's an 87 I can make the 4+2 style.

As for a CDI, maybe you can borrow you'r friend's 87 CDI to hear your machine run and such. A used CDI is about as much as a new aftermarket one. Mike has aftermarket CDI's made based on the OEM ignition curve with a couple extra features (easy start and such). The 250ES has a safety system, so normally you'd need the adapter which if I recall correctly switches the power and kill switch wires, and leaves out the gray reverse safety switch wire. I can validate with the template I have here (I make the adapters for him), and could make a pig tail you just match up the colors on, you'd just have the safety wire left over that you'd have to tape up to keep it from interfering with the rest of the machine's electrical. Last I checked the CDI's are $70, Adapter is $25, and the pig tails I make are $16. The other option is you could just buy the adapter from Mike and cut the one connector off to turn it into a pig tail. If I'm thinking right it should be the right colors to match up as well since the wire colors match the CDI pin out functions.

Another option not to make this confusing is to get all 3 and fix your harness to OEM spec, and use the adapter + Mike's CDI and at any time you could disconnect the adapter and use an OEM CDI, like if you wanted to compare Mike's vs Stock.

http://mikesatvfix.com/

Here's the pig tail that would effectively convert your harness to directly plug into Mike's CDI. Let me know which route you want to go with it, and I can make the colors/wires match for what you'd have to hook up to keep it a simplier job. The pig tail is the wrong pin out for the stock 250ES CDI, but I can make them too.

http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/index....1&search=pt111

Also, I see the 87 250es, the 200E (83 has a second fuse under the seat, 82 doesn't), and the last machine I didn't notice, but looks like that's an 85 based on the drum/swing arm setup. If you want to validate the year of the machine, get the engine serial number and check if it matches up to any of these (it should). I put just the starting, the last numbers are like the run number and such, like machine 5000th made (doesn't always start from 0 though). You can double check your 87 as well to make sure the data is accurate =).

85 - TE04E-5*
    86 - TE04E-6*
    87 - TE04E-81*

Personally, I'd suggest keeping the 87 with the 4+2 style CDI connector, the round one was effectively only used on 84 and 85 machines, and the 4+2 style is still used today on some models, Chinese machines, etc.

Been there done that with the college thing. I went full circle, first job I got right out of college which was effectively my "dream job", after 5 years switched to a 50% higher paying job that I thought would be more interesting, which panned out to be a poor company to work for, so quit after a year and went full time self employed. I'm making less, but I love what I do, and the whole "be your own boss" thing is super nice. Every customer is effectively your boss though.

Anyway, that parts machine is likely a gold mine of parts to sell, just don't sell something you or your friend needs lol. Worst case you could always buy another one. The rear diff in good shape runs $200+ and is pretty easy to package/ship (medium flat rate is probably the cheapest shipping method). The carb would pull in ok money too, wild guess would be around $100 as long as it's not trashed, even if it needs cleaning/rebuild. The muffler looks to be in nice shape too. I'd just about pay for everything to get the muffler, but I'm personally pretty tight on funds too, just paid something like $1200 to restock supplies for my business, and I'm seeing more stuff I'm getting low on.

Hopefully you find this post useful, I can help with the pin outs and such if you figure out another solution for your CDI situation.

Oh also, those tires behind the 87 250es are stock tires from at least the 85 model. If they hold air, they are probably worth quite a bit to the right person/collector. I ran my machines with the stock tires that were on them till they fell apart from the dry rot, so I missed out on getting anything out of mine.

Also, why is the 200E a parts machine, it looks nearly as complete as the 87 250es, just needs some rear tires, seat, fix up the fenders to be able to ride, and maybe a thumb throttle? Maybe there's more missing than I can see. It looks to have the cleanest engine though, so if you don't have another 200 series machine, I'd say get the engine running and sell it if you're not fixing it. I'm sure you'd get plenty of interest on craigslist or facebook, just don't sell it as unknown shape, you won't get squat for it. Hopefully no water in the oil, but so far I haven't found a Honda with that issue yet. I'm pretty sure between the two parts machines, you could get something like $1000 selling the right parts and such. Heck the engines probably could go close to that together if they are known running/good engines. To compare, below are a couple engines, the one is from an 86 250ES "parts machine" that was used to fix 4-5 other machines before I got it, and it must have been a while back because the engine is in super awesome shape, just dusty from sitting. I wouldn't dare to sell it under $500, but it's kind of my backup engine too so not really trying to get it sold. The other machine is my go to 85 250es rider, not pretty, I mud it etc, and it's always ready to go. I've been beating on it for like 10 years now. The head bolts and such were rusty when I got it (can't really see in the photo) which is a sight it sat out in the weather unlike your machines. I have nicer looking machines, but never ride them to keep them nice.

Either case, good luck with the fix up. I pretty much except all 3 engines to run with maybe minor work (new plug, clean carb, maybe jet kit for the carb, etc).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0247.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	258760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0762.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	258761  

--
    Well, the 200e has no pulse generator and I'm taking the carb and pull start from it, you are right it is a gold mine but has a good chassis. If you are close I'll consider giving you the engine, I live in eastern South Dakota. The 85 with no front is a bad motor, no dipstick and has been outside for 10 years .If your wondering I'm going to college for auto body.

--
    I'm over in Michigan, bit too far for a 3 wheeler lol.

Cool stuff being a body man, I've wanted to mess around with auto body work on my personal vehicles, but the salt here rusts them out so fast, it's almost pointless. My college was for CST/PC Systems Support and Technology, basically it says I know a little bit of everything about computers (hardware, software, programming, support/helpdesk, security etc).

Since the 250es sounds like it's basically just parts, I'd say to find something to plug the oil dip stick so it's not getting destroyed more. The stator, case covers, cylinder/head etc should be pretty big money items for the engine. Depending how much water was in it, the primary and secondary clutches should go for a bit. Shifter shaft, etc. Really, if you have the time to wait, basically every part of these 3 wheelers will sell, even random bolts etc. I parted out a 76 ATC90 and all I have left is a few misc parts and the rear fender/seat and it was a complete running/riding machine, just no one would give me $500 for it, so I got more than that parting it out.

--
    Well, my friend owns another big red, and I'm gonna see if it's an 86 or 87 so I can buy the wire harness.

--
    I went and looked at the parts trike, it was an 87! I know these are really rare. Took the cdi and plug, so no need to do much, just match wire colors
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190605_145118.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	258780

--
    Update-it runs! Installed the cdi plug and cdi, pulled of varb, sprayed in ether. It sound good, but I think the starter might be engaged (I used kick start).

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Nice score! Free is the best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    Cool stuff, typical Honda lol.

Anyway, what do you mean by the starter might be engaged? I'd assume something to do with the electric start? The starter motor is gear to gear, and there's a 1 way bearing that catches when it runs, so it shouldn't effect the engine at all when running.

There's also a one way bearing for the kick starter and for coating (engine braking), when it wears out, the kick starter slips and when you turn the engine off it typically has a whirl noise then clunks to a stop. Pretty easy job to fix, just have to get the bearing which I'm pretty sure is a bit pricey.

How's the electrical working? All lights functioning and electric start? Headlight & tail lights run off the same power, so if any bulbs are in it, that should be good enough of a test and the neutral/reverse lights run off the same power that the electric start functions from, and the neutral switch grounds for the neutral light and the starter solenoid.

When you said your friend had a big red, I thought you meant a ride-able machine xD. Maybe after getting your 87 going, you can take your 85 and your friend's 87 and try to make another one that runs =).

--
    He does have a ridable 85, it's really clean, the one i went and looked at is a parts machine, he has a clapped out but running 87 too.. When I kick the kick start it feels like a lot of drag, as if the starter is out. Have not tried electric start and it has no headlight or taillights. Neutral light does not work. I will slowly get all that fixed, but I want it mechanically sound.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //