//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1987 250ES for free!

--
    To make it clear, my friend owns 3 big reds. 85, 87, and a 87 parts bike. I own 2, 87 and 85 parts bike someone attempted to turn into a 4 wheeler.

--
    Hmm that's a bit strange. Does it make any noises when kicking, or running? Does it smoke at all?

The starter is easy to pull for the most part, just the two bolts and it slides up and out with an O-ring to seal it. Reinstalling might be a little tricky to get the teeth lined up, but worse case you can always take the gears cover off, the littler oval shaped cover on the left side.

The really nice 250es I posted the pic of had an issue with the electric start, and it didn't shift right when I got it. Shifting problem was just assembled wrong and things were bound up because it wasn't lined up when bolted together by the last owner. The starter issue was the pin for the gear was missing, so it was eating at the case when used. Cleaned up the metal shavings and installed a pin and all is well. The starter gears didn't turn at all when the engine running though.

I can't think of much that would cause a drag on it while kick starting, maybe the idler gear for the kick start is missing the pin it normally rides on or something like that. If you can't figure it out, might have to pop the right side cover off and check things over. You have the sat in the weather forever machine to compare with (if it wasn't completely full of water). Sounds like something going on, but it's a new thing for me.

For the lights not working, there's a sub harness that runs down the back side of the engine on the right side and connects at the bottom for the neutral/reverse safety switches. There's normally a small metal cover over the connection point to protect it. If that wire is missing you'd have no neutral/reverse lights. Of course the bulbs could be blown too. The power to the lights from the alternator runs though a fuse that normally is behind where the headlight mounts, under the black cover I saw sitting on the machine in the one pic. One fuse is for the aux plug, and the other is for the rest of the machine. No neutral/reverse lights likely means no headlight or tail light power too and electric start won't work. Clearly the neutral switch is working for the machine to fire up since the CDI requires it to be in neutral, at least for the 85's it does.

--
    When I said no lights, I meant that they are not on the machine, not even the bulb sockets. It wouls.not.be the first big red I have seem with a bad neutral light. My friends running 87 with a different cdi has to have a wire run and ground to trick the cdi to think it is always in neutral. I never did put in a different battery or put 12 volts to system, so I have no clue it the starter is actually the issue, but it feels like it is dragging and kicks really hard compared to my friends running bikes

--
    I see, I figured at least the neutral/reverse lights were in it lol. I make a bunch of electrical stuff for the big reds, not sure if you'd be interested in getting all that stuff replaced or just ride it without the lights. I make the neutral/reverse safety sub harness, neutral/reverse bulb socket sub harness, headlight socket, and could source the parts for the tail light sockets.

Anyway, I'm defo interested in what the diag comes out as for the drag in the engine. I have something like 5 of these machines so good to keep track of what can fail and how.

--
    Well, I rode it around today. Put some 4 lug 4 wheeler tires on and fixed the brakes. However, I found out that the dude who gave me it, would like to have it back, albeit I will be payed and he is going to get me some more trikes. He has the intention of a complete cosmetic restoration and I will be able to ride at any time. He is my neighbor and a fellow trike rider, and I decided that I'm willing to hand it back over, the whole time I thought that if he wants, he can have it, especially since i do not have the money to restore it. I will post pictures as it comes along in the future.

--
    Hopefully he comes though on the more trikes. Hopefully you get fair pay for the work you did to the machine. Not sure if you swapped the whole harness or not, but harness + CDI should be worth something like $150-200 pretty easy just for the parts.

Defo a weird situation he put you in.

I guess he get's to have the fun diaging the drag in the engine, might want to mention that to him too. If you hear what it was, I'd be interested to hear what caused it.

--
    I'm am to be payed well.ive done stuff for him before, not to mention he got me into trikes.
    Last edited by Homeless Dave; 06-26-2019 at 11:22 PM.

--
    @ps2fixer, how much do you charge for a reproduction harness for a 1985 ATC250ES?
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    The 250ES and 200ES has a fairly similar amount of wiring going on so likely a similar price, however there's actually two connectors I can't get new for the 85 250ES harness. The round CDI connector, and there's a similar connector on the harness I haven't been able to source but haven't looked too hard. Sometime I have to see if any of my terminals work in the used housings. I can reuse the CDI connectors from a donor harness, but I haven't tested the other connector.

Anyway, if you want to chat a bit more about it, shoot me a pm. Probably best not to hijack Homeless Dave's thread (to keep it on topic).

--
    Sent you a PM, sorry Homeless Dave, didn't mean to highjack your post
    1983 Honda ATC250R
    1983 Honda ATC200E BIG RED (sold)
    1984 Honda ATC200X (sold)
    1985 Honda ATC250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC70 x 2
    2001 Honda TRX90
    2004 Honda TRX300EX (sold)
    2008 Honda TRX250TM
    1976 Suzuki RV90M (sold)
    1967 Vespa Primavera 125
    1958 Massey Ferguson 35

--
    It's fine, I have nothing else to post about except for I abou except that the neutral and reverse lights do work and new parts on order

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //