//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New guy!

--

New guy!

Hey everyone! I recently acquired a honda atc 70. I got a really good deal on it. It starts and runs. I need some help/advice any would be greatly appreciated.

how do I tell what year it is.

Was wanting to do a k&n type air filter on it. What size do I need? Or do I need to know year first? (Have original air filter but the boot to the carb needs replacing and find one?)

Would like to get the wire foot pad/nerf bar thing that's missing off the left side.

Thanks looking forward to checking all the 70s everyone is fixing up.

Sent from my SM-J337R4 using Tapatalk

--
    Welcome .

It will not run correctly without the factory air filter box .
    Read up on this site , lots of threads on this subject .

Howdy on this site used to make replacement boots so pm him to see if you can get one .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Welcome .

It will not run correctly without the factory air filter box .
    Read up on this site , lots of threads on this subject .

Howdy on this site used to make replacement boots so pm him to see if you can get one .
    Ok thanks will do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman_xci View Post
    Hey everyone! I recently acquired a honda atc 70. I got a really good deal on it. It starts and runs. I need some help/advice any would be greatly appreciated.

how do I tell what year it is.

Was wanting to do a k&n type air filter on it. What size do I need? Or do I need to know year first? (Have original air filter but the boot to the carb needs replacing and find one?)

Would like to get the wire foot pad/nerf bar thing that's missing off the left side.

Thanks looking forward to checking all the 70s everyone is fixing up.

Hey superman,
    Unlike FB you probably wont see a lot of folks pics of their 70's If you want to see pic's keep to FB. As far as advise what year is your 70? if it's stock you need to keep it stock, a stock carb needs the airbox to operate correctly, it will run like if you run a K&N. We can't help you out on the foot rest unless we know the year.. If you can't find a tag for the year list the serial number. Pics also help.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Typically the front steering neck area of the frame has a sticker that says model + year. I'm not sure how the old ATC70's are, but like a 1979 ATC110, it only has a serial number stamped in it and you have to use a vin decoder to get the correct year. The site I used to use all the time appears to have just went off line. Maybe they are just late on the hosting bill. I guess I'll have to mess around and script up a decoder and throw it up on my site some time.

https://atcvin.webs.com/

Anyway, for advice, I personally like to give any new to me machines (including cars etc) a basic tune up. In the context of an ATC70, that would be a new NGK spark plug, air filter if it doesn't look new, and a fresh oil change. I'd look over the machine and see if you can find excess slop in any of the bearings, mainly steering stem, front wheel bearings, and rear axle bearings. Also check out the chain & sprockets to what their condition is, I'm pretty sure the ATC70 has a tentioner, so you might want to grab a service manual and adjust it if it doesn't match what the service manual says. Besides that, get your carb to air box boot and the wire thing you mentioned and have some fun on it.

Here's a place to get service manuals, based on the year range on the site, the ATC70 was made 73-85, so lots of years, so probably a lot of minor things changed. I don't know the 70's as well as other models, so can't be much of a help with differences year to year.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

If you do decide to run the K&N filter, you'd probably have to re-jet the carb to get it running right. Not sure if there's anything special about the 70, but typically the direct filter will make the engine very lean, so you need larger than stock jets. Also if you go that route, a higher performance / free flowing exhaust might balance it out a bit better to match the intake mods. I can't really recommend what brand of exhaust to look for, most of the aftermarket ones are just mega phones that make more noise than anything. I kind of doubt supertrapp made an exhaust for the 70.

Good luck with your build, and we always love photos, so if you can post some, maybe we can notice something else, like aftermarket parts, or things missing etc.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Typically the front steering neck area of the frame has a sticker that says model + year. I'm not sure how the old ATC70's are, but like a 1979 ATC110, it only has a serial number stamped in it and you have to use a vin decoder to get the correct year. The site I used to use all the time appears to have just went off line. Maybe they are just late on the hosting bill. I guess I'll have to mess around and script up a decoder and throw it up on my site some time.

https://atcvin.webs.com/

Anyway, for advice, I personally like to give any new to me machines (including cars etc) a basic tune up. In the context of an ATC70, that would be a new NGK spark plug, air filter if it doesn't look new, and a fresh oil change. I'd look over the machine and see if you can find excess slop in any of the bearings, mainly steering stem, front wheel bearings, and rear axle bearings. Also check out the chain & sprockets to what their condition is, I'm pretty sure the ATC70 has a tentioner, so you might want to grab a service manual and adjust it if it doesn't match what the service manual says. Besides that, get your carb to air box boot and the wire thing you mentioned and have some fun on it.

Here's a place to get service manuals, based on the year range on the site, the ATC70 was made 73-85, so lots of years, so probably a lot of minor things changed. I don't know the 70's as well as other models, so can't be much of a help with differences year to year.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

If you do decide to run the K&N filter, you'd probably have to re-jet the carb to get it running right. Not sure if there's anything special about the 70, but typically the direct filter will make the engine very lean, so you need larger than stock jets. Also if you go that route, a higher performance / free flowing exhaust might balance it out a bit better to match the intake mods. I can't really recommend what brand of exhaust to look for, most of the aftermarket ones are just mega phones that make more noise than anything. I kind of doubt supertrapp made an exhaust for the 70.

Good luck with your build, and we always love photos, so if you can post some, maybe we can notice something else, like aftermarket parts, or things missing etc.
    Yes thank you! I did a quick look over of it. Didn't see a tag for year. I got a new plug in it and carb cleaned fired right up after it got primed. Seen it called for a straight SAE 30 oil going to be changing that here soon. (Its about a 20 minute drive away from me at my in laws farm. (Hoping to buy a house that way in the next few years. But that's another conversation.)) I'll give it a good look over and take some pictures of this beautiful little thing this upcoming weekend.

I believe I'm more excited about this then my kids and its theirs. I already have two atvs of my own.

--
    Ironically, the little 70's are fun to ride even as a full grown person. My dad had one for a while and it was funny to do wheelies with the thing.

On engine oil, I suspect you'll want to make sure to use oil that's designed for wet clutches just like what you'd run in the bigger atv's. The wrong oil can make the clutches not grip right, or shift poorly. It's been ages since I did the look up on that stuff so I can't recall which cert on the donut you needed.

If you can't find or read the number on the frame, there's always the engine serial number to base it on too.

Here's a random weird pic of the ATC70 my dad had, I think it was when we were trying to sell it at trike fest. Only issue it had was the gas tank had a pin hole in it, which it why it was leaning sideways (temp patch with RTV). If I recall correctly we were trying to get $800 out of it, ended up selling it for $600 and we delivered about a year later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_195523.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	258762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140620_225432.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	258763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140620_225456.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	258764  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //